Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Piles of grease around rear wheel....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Piles of grease around rear wheel....

This is the second time I've noticed this....just piles of grease gunked on the entire rear driver's side wheel. I only noticed it when I was washing the car each time and cleaning inside the wheels. I took a look under there and it's all over the hub, wheel and tire. Its not a light layer either but just gunks of it. The gunked up stuff does smell like gear oil . I don't drive it very often now...maybe just once a week but this week I had to drive it everyday to work since my DD needs a new throttle cable. I've washed the car a few times since I first noticed the grease which was about 1 month ago and didnt see those times when I washed it. Now I guess since I drove it everyday this week whatever is wrong with the rear made it pile up. I havent noticed any noise coming from the rear though and the car seems to drive fine.

This is the second rear btw. My stock one had issues where I did have grinding/whining noises from it and when we pulled the axles out fluid came pouring out. At the time I didn't have alot of money so I found a used rear we picked up that had come from a car that was mainly a race car before the previous owner bought it.

I guess this one is shot now so I'll start saving up for a 12 bolt...maybe in 2 yrs I'll have enough money saved up

Last edited by Flamin' bird; 07-20-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just took some pics under there. Does not look good

This shows where I was trying to clean it from the front side

Old 07-20-2007, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Axle seal could be leaking
Old 07-20-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what I thought . As soon as Tim comes home he'll jack it up and take a look. I guess I can't complain much about this rear. I only paid $300 for it and it lasted me almost a year.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
Thats what I thought . As soon as Tim comes home he'll jack it up and take a look. I guess I can't complain much about this rear. I only paid $300 for it and it lasted me almost a year.

They are not that bad to replace. No worries.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Axle seal, no big deal (compared to what else could go wrong).

I think the seal can be had for around $5, and it would take about an hour to replace it in your driveway.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

+1 for the axle seal. take a screwdriver through the hole of the seal and work it out. dont scratch the inside of the housing or the new seal could leak. pick up a seal driver kit and hit the new one in and make sure its not cockeyed inside the housing. when you put the axle back in dont slide it on the seal or you'll f*ck it up. have fun!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies and help. Glad that maybe I can have the 10 bolt have a little more life in it till I can get a 12 or 9inch. I would like to upgrade it since I'd already started gathering what I need for a planned cam swap.

Thanks for the PM Keliente