Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9 inch center section wont go on

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see what the hold up is... I can change a 3rd member in 6 minutes doing everything except the axles myself.... But I guess I should say that aint in a Fbody....
Old 08-14-2007, 05:29 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
they always need a little persuasion the first time, but nothing a rubber mallet wouldn't move on the holes that don't line up 100%, just a nice light tap would move the studs around
That is how we do it. Bob
Old 11-16-2008, 06:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reviving old post. MF is hard to take off and put on.

My Strange S center section is a bitch to get back on. I have had to use a metal hammer and bang on both sides of the CS enough to get a pair of nuts on. Then I run the nuts down to seat the thing against the housing.

I have had it off and on several times now , no easier each time.

It has been suggested to get some nuts and washers to straighten the studs. I will try that first. I was thinking that opening up only 5 out of the 10 holes in the CS just a tad would help too. Similar to the studs reaming out the aluminum CS as mentioned in this post.
Any other suggestions?

Last edited by wrd1972; 11-16-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Reviving old post. MF is hard to take off and put on.

My Strange S center section is a bitch to get back on. I have had to use a metal hammer and bang on both sides of the CS enough to get a pair of nuts on. Then I run the nuts down to seat the thing against the housing.

I have had it off and on several times now , no easier each time.

It has been suggested to get some nuts and washers to straighten the studs. I will try that first. I was thinking that opening up only 5 out of the 10 holes in the CS just a tad would help too. Similar to the studs reaming out the aluminum CS as mentioned in this post.
Any other suggestions?
Just got my 9" together yesterday, it didnt go on easy but it wasnt THAT hard. I sed my 56oz dead blow to get it started and sed the nuts to rn it down. I hope its not that hard everytime but I also hope I dont have to remove it very often.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just decided to suck it up and get it done. I found that removing the pinion support/gear lightens the center section enough for me to install alone. It went on with the dead blow like what everybody said. Not a big deal after all.

It would just be nice if the thing would slip on like they did in the old days. When I pulled a CS from a 65 Mustang, the studs did not bind at all. Maybe the holes were bigger.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default April 08 Mag

Originally Posted by 35th SS
that is weird.it wont fit.
No ,Its not! Didnt you guys ever read the April 08 edition of GM High Tech?Where there showing the diffrences between the S60 and the M9 installs?It says right there to use a good blow with a rubber mallet to get it in the first time!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have had several 9 inch housings from various manufacturers over the years in my shop and there was not one of them that the center section that just slipped over the studs with ease. the best way is to set the CS down on the studs aligning them all as best as possible. make a map of the studs and note the direction and a guess as to how much each stud needs to be adjusted. remove the CS and thread the nuts onto the studs until the top of the stud is flush with the nut. lightly tap the stud the direction it needs to go with a hammer and recheck the alignment. even after this it still may take a little help to get the CS over the stud, but this helps tremendously getting it on enough to start the nuts.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by barnat
No ,Its not! Didnt you guys ever read the April 08 edition of GM High Tech?Where there showing the diffrences between the S60 and the M9 installs?It says right there to use a good blow with a rubber mallet to get it in the first time!
sorry I didnt have that year issue of gmhi tech.when I install mine on both cars thier was a slight hesitation for them to go in and then the rubber mallet did the job.

Quick Reply: 9 inch center section wont go on