Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9-inch question: pinion support manufacturers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9-inch question: pinion support manufacturers?

I picked up an issue of stock car racing magazine and found some vendors that sell some pretty cheap 9-inch components. While I like the idea of saving some money on stuff like a setup kit and a yoke, I don't want to get crappy parts.

A lot of places such as Quick Performance sell aluminum pinion supports like this one. Are these units any good for low-to-mid level horsepower applications (~400-450 rwhp)? I have no problem spending a few extra bucks for a nodular Strange/Moser unit like the ones sold through Summit, but I figured that I would ask.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by trax
I picked up an issue of stock car racing magazine and found some vendors that sell some pretty cheap 9-inch components. While I like the idea of saving some money on stuff like a setup kit and a yoke, I don't want to get crappy parts.

A lot of places such as Quick Performance sell aluminum pinion supports like this one. Are these units any good for low-to-mid level horsepower applications (~400-450 rwhp)? I have no problem spending a few extra bucks for a nodular Strange/Moser unit like the ones sold through Summit, but I figured that I would ask.

Thanks!

Once you figure in the pinion bearing races and install them your better off getting a Ford Motorsport unit with the races installed. Aluminum supports require they be heated up and the races installed, it's a pita! I have installed a few Mitler Brothers and Dewco parts without any issues.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

As long as the units have a oiling provision they will work fine on the street. When installing the races you MUST make sure you do not drive them in too deep on some supports.