Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What are the quietest gears for 9"

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Question What are the quietest gears for 9"

Is there a certain brand of gears when compared to others that will be the quietest for a 9" rear?

My gear ratio of choice will most likely be 3.70 (3.73) if that makes a difference.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock ford replacement ones setup properly are dead quiet.
ford motorsport ones are pretty quiet.

richmonds seem the loudest to ME.. but overall, you can hear some noise from all of the aftermarket gears.... the gear setup decides this more then anything else.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

What gears come with a Moser 9", stock "Ford" gears?

Do you have a choice of gear brand when you buy a rear end from a sponsor?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billiumss
What gears come with a Moser 9", stock "Ford" gears?

Do you have a choice of gear brand when you buy a rear end from a sponsor?

no, they're not ford gears....

and if you expect moser to setup any rear to be quiet... we'll you're either going to be disappointed, or incredibly lucky.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motive Performance or Strange Pro Street IMO are the best quality aftermarket gear sets available. Keep in mind that the aftermarket doesn't engineer for quietness, they are cut for strength.

Last edited by Scott@DrivelineSolutions; 08-10-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

From what I've seen, Motive gears are machined the best. If you want quiet, strength and some extra RWHP, you might want to have them Mikronite processed. I recently had that done to my 8.5" 10-bolts in my Tahoe. 9hp & 12 lb-ft of torque and the thing is even quieter than before. A neighbor just had it done to some 9" Ford gears. He's impressed with the finish, but doesn't have any RWHP yet!
Old 08-10-2007, 12:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by QuietTahoe
From what I've seen, Motive gears are machined the best. If you want quiet, strength and some extra RWHP, you might want to have them Mikronite processed. I recently had that done to my 8.5" 10-bolts in my Tahoe. 9hp & 12 lb-ft of torque and the thing is even quieter than before. A neighbor just had it done to some 9" Ford gears. He's impressed with the finish, but doesn't have any RWHP yet!

Did you set the gear up before hand to determine the correct pinion shim before the process was performed or were they a used set? I haven't set up a gear that has had this process done and I want some more info.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Scott@DrivelineSolutions
Did you set the gear up before hand to determine the correct pinion shim before the process was performed or were they a used set? I haven't set up a gear that has had this process done and I want some more info.
My gears were brand new. I bought them through Vinci Hi-Performance. Vinci's set them up for me. Roger has the proper pinion depth checking setup. One thing I liked, he has bearings that he has honed out slightly to slip on the pinion easily. It makes the the checking set up pretty slick. Once he has the depth right, he presses on the new bearing. He used a yellow paste to see the pattern because white paste doesn't show up too well. My horsepower figures are after about a 250 mile run-in period. Roger said that was necessary because the bearings needed to "seat-in" so that the proper horsepower gain would show up. You can feel the torque improvement in the SOTP. The stock rear end was fairly quiet, but you can hear the difference at some road speeds and on decelerations, especially when you downshift to have some compression braking. The Tahoe is a '03, 2WD, 5.3L with an automatic, posi, and 3.73gears. Cam is a Vinci, 210/218 with .562/.562" at the valve with the Crane 1.8 rockers and springs, 114LSA. Nice truck with great throttle response and very good gas mileage. With the Mikronite gears, I've picked up a little over 1mpg at 70mph on the highway. Now getting slightly over 20mpg. Hope this helps!