Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser is REALLY pissing me off!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Moser is REALLY pissing me off!

Go for it. It mite help then make a better porduct.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Man you guys are gonna freak out after Levi post what we found wrong with his rearend and No I did not mess this up, This one is a Moser screw up Big time. Stay tuned Boys and Girls.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well chalk up another @#$*-up for the retards at Moser engineering. Let me begin...

Steve calls me up and lets me know the car is ready, cool, my brother and I get in the car and head 86 miles down to Louisville. We get there and Steve says, "You're not gonna believe this but the pinion seal is leaking again."

Why should I be surprised?

So we start tearing it down and I contacted Moser Engineer before I left and asked them what the correct NAPA pinion seal part # was. He tells me, there's only ONE seal for the passenger 12-bolt. I asked if it mattered that I had a 1350 upgraded yolk, he said, "No, doesn't matter b/c the diameter of the yokes where they insert into the seal are the same." I feel better now b/c that's the only pinion seal that Napa could find when I was there for a passenger GM 12-bolt. At least I knew I got that right.

Well, Steve and I start tearing it down again to gain access to the pinion seal so that we can put a new one in. As we free the old seal and look at the yoke where it inserts in the seal we notice the OD of the yolk where it inserts is a good deal bigger than the opening on the pinion seal. Hmmm....

I call up MoserEngineering, closed. Figures. I then called up Randy's Ring and Pinion b/c they have ALWAYS got me the RIGHT info the FIRST time (*HINT* - Moser, it can be done.) The tech at Randy's Ring and Pinion re-confirms that there is only one pinion seal for the passenger GM 12-bolt, sweet, Moser is 1 for 300. Then, he asks us to mic the OD on the yolk and the ID on the bearing. Well, the OD on the yolk where it inserts is 20 THOUSANDTHS TOO FRIGGIN BIG!!!!! That's right, 20 THOUSANDTHS! Now, I'm no engineer, but a 20 thousandths discrepancy in life terms would correlate to transplanting a heart from the thoracic cavity into the $#**ing RECTUM! Absolutely PITIFUL. What kind of quality control is this? So I wasted roughly $30 on friggin pinion seals. The tech at Randy's Ring and Pinion laughed at the horrid discrepancy, he couldn't even believe it. So guesse what, I had to OVERNIGHT a PROPER 1350 yolk to Steve so he can get this done.
(If the yolk came from Denny's then Denny's now sucks royal monkey nuts in my eyes now too but I'm pretty sure the 1350 yolk came from moser and Tony bought the bigger driveshaft and hardware to adapt to that yolk. Moser did identify the yolk as thier manufacturer "Spicer" though. With my luck, I'm willing to be it was Moser, all else has been their doing as well, why should they not follow through here.

Oh, not done. For some reason this rearend has no vent on it. And if it does it's either hidden and clogged or it just doesn't exist. Now, again, I'm no engineer but lets think about this.

If you have a sealed unit that generates heat and is filled with an uncompressable liquid, i.e. gear lube where do you think the increased air pressure in a sealed unit is going to go when pressure is greatly increased, i.e. in a rearend with gear fluid? Hmm, well since there is NO vent I'm guessing it's gonna find its easiest way out. And where might that be, again, I'm no engineer, but I'm gonna place my money on the junctions where the o-ring seals mate with the metal surfaces they contact to seal, does that sound plausible? It does to me.

So this, assuming that I am right and there is no vent, even after we looked, the pressure will get out and it will be forced out at the seals. Hence, that exacerbated my leaking pinion seal blowing fluid through it and then it forced itself right out the damn axle bearing seals and ruined those. Way to go Moser, build a racing rearend with no vent, kick ***. So, Steve build a vent that feeds into the diff cover to prevent this from occurring from now on.

So, let me break down my repairs to this thing:
~$370 for new gears and install kit (I couldn't carry on a conversation with the radio off due the noise the prior set made)
$350 for gear install (Steve is worth every penny)
$86 for axle bearings and shippings from Moser
$76 for the WRONG bearings at NAPA b/c Moser said they would work.
$30 for a new brake caliper b/c it destroyed my caliper and pads
$50 for new pads
$30 in pinion seals
$5 new crush sleeve
$30 in fluids
$120 for new yolk and overnight shipping
$150 in various other things Steve needed, i.c. having the truck shop press on the new bearings.
Grand total of $1307 on a roughly $2200 rear end. Damn, you'd think I had a rearend made of platinum for that price.

I'm totally FED UP with this crap. After we knock this BS out tomorrow I'm getting Yukon axles from Randy's Ring and Pinion. That way NOTHING in the rearend is affiliated with MOSER at all. I won't even acknowledge that rearend as a MOSER anymore, I'll call it a Randy's Ring and Pinion 12-bolt b/c it'll have all of their parts and their great customer service that helped Steve and I get it right.

I there are lots happy with Moser but never can you convince me to buy anything of their's again. I may be the only one to have had this happen but that doesn't make it right.

This has been the biggest waste of time and money I have EVER seen. I'm only glad my installer is damn good and honest else I'd be up *#@$ creek with no paddle.

Old 05-29-2003, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

PS, I stepped in a huge pile of dogshit as I was walking in the door to our condo. Great ending to a SHITTY day, no pun intended
Old 05-29-2003, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Maybe Moser will see this and give you all new parts for your troubles? (Yea right) I looked at Moser web site and it looks like your SOL after you buy a rearend from them. I tell you what someone better make it right after all the crap you have gone threw with this rearend.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:00 AM
Resident Grump

Try a Strange next time. It cost a little more but quality is much better.

The difference in the two rearends is Strange has a rearend dyno and use it to run each individual unit to do a real world test for noise etc. When it's delivered it's ready to go with the oil already in it.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:14 AM
Coal Mining Director

Jeff Stange at Strange told me they were using the dyno when they built my 3.73 12bolt. It howled and I sent it back. I had my Moser custom assembled with Superior R/P and it's fairly quiet...small whine between 60-65 mph. It's all in the R/P set=up. You get the wrong guy on the Strange or Moser assemly line and either will howl....you get the right guy and either will be fine.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:09 AM
Teching In

All I can say is Randys Ring and pinion Rocks , The new yoke is a Billet and it's much nicer than that cast splicer crap that moser sold with this rearend. The seal fits great so no pinionseal leaks.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Woo hoo, gotta love Randy's Ring and Pinion for their products and customer service!
Old 05-30-2003, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just my $.02, but I agree that for the $$ it better damn be right the first time. Never seem to hear bad things about Strange or Currie so why risk it with a Moser?
Old 05-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Teching In

It lives It lives and with no leaks and all is well now.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Steve is da' man. That's all that can be said. He stood behind his work, no if's, and's or but's. The money I paid for the gear install paid itself over many times. The only thing I can hear is the tranny noise. The gears are silent. Next step, tranny quieting

That billet yolk from Randy's Ring and Pinion is purty. Damn sweet looking under there. Kick ***. I missed the 500 HP, forgot what it felt like. Thanks again to Steve and the good folks at Randy's Ring and Pinion. They answered every question Moser couldn't (at it's a Moser rearend).
Old 05-30-2003, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Enjoy Levi and Thanks for the compliment and the work. Steve P.S. Thanks for letting me take the car out for a check ride. Thoes C5s never knew what hit them. hehehe
Old 06-01-2003, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I feel sorry for you guys, spending all that cash and getting a bad rear. I spent a measly 1800 and got one of those 8.8's. Damn thing is taking a beating from my car and not one whimper.

For all the others willing to buy a Moser rear, better pass on their C-clip eliminators, they are JUNK. I had a set on my Mustang 10 years ago and they leaked, called them, they bascially didn't have much to say. I changed to the Strange, not on problem.

Scott
many low 1.6 60' @3500#'s with an 8.8...
Old 06-03-2003, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm tossing my howling 3.73 gears in my Moser and replacing them with 4.30's in a week and a half. I'll be sure to post how many shims we find lying around the housing

Although it clunks, screams on deceleration, and sounds like a seal (the animal that is) when I make slow turns, it has been one dependable SOB for me. It did come with a vent, and has survived 50 or so 7000rpm clutch dumps at the track on ET streets.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

I'm another unhappy Moser customer . . . got a 9" and had nothing but leakage and howling problems for the 1st two years. Again, Moser techs told me that it did NOT need axle seals. Of course, I didn't believe them and got some, that fixed my leaking problems. I won't buy from them either . . . it IS tough though, as verbs says . . . I've abused it quite a bit, sounds like Armageddon is behind me, but it works.

- Dug
Old 06-03-2003, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

What's even worse is that it is SO EASY to setup gears not to howl. It's CAKE yet they can't do it. My 4.11's are DEAD quiet. Why, because they were properly setup
Old 06-03-2003, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's even worse is that it is SO EASY to setup gears not to howl. It's CAKE yet they can't do it. My 4.11's are DEAD quiet. Why, because they were properly setup
Hmmmmm..... yeah, I just had a Moser 12blt installed with 4:30's about 2 mos. ago and don't even have 100 miles on it (not even broken in) and it's started howling already.... but what I want to know is, why do they set up the gears this way if it's just as easy to make them quiet?? Is there a purpose to setting them up so they're loud as hell?? I guess I don't get it?
Old 06-03-2003, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmmmm..... yeah, I just had a Moser 12blt installed with 4:30's about 2 mos. ago and don't even have 100 miles on it (not even broken in) and it's started howling already.... but what I want to know is, why do they set up the gears this way if it's just as easy to make them quiet?? Is there a purpose to setting them up so they're loud as hell?? I guess I don't get it?
Gears that are setup for strength make noise. They can be setup so they don't make noise, but they are not as strong.

I'm not sure about everyone else here, but I know when I bought my moser, it wasn't because I was looking for something to cruise down the freeway with. I needed something that I could beat the living crap out of and it still continue to function properly. It has most definately stood up to that task with 6000rpm dumps on the gas.

I'd be WAY more upset if I spent 3,000 on the rear end and then it broke, rather than if the PERFORMANCE rear end made some noise.

It's just like with anything else...

if you don't want the chance of noisy gears, then leave the stock setup alone
if you don't want a clutch that chatters or is stiff, the leave the stock one in there
if you don't want your motor to sound like a sewing machine or surge, leave the stock cam in it
if you don't want raspy exhaust, don't remove your catalytic converters.

Performance has comfort sacrifices, you just have to deal with it or get out of the kitchen.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

xaon, I totally agree but the leaking axle problems are not coherent with proper functioning. When they leak, they can cause bearing failure, wipe out your pads, caliper, etc. If it didn't leak this rearend would now be golden after I have had all the quirks remedied.

My advice for these rearends, if you want the balance b/w strength and noise, order it unassembled and have a competent installer set them up. Then you'll have the best of both worlds, that's what my goal always is, balance.