Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser is REALLY pissing me off!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Moser is REALLY pissing me off!

I HATE this rearend. Hate it. I have spent close to $1,000 getting it done right. Granted, the rearend came with the car and was used here's what I have found:
1) It didn't whine, it HOWLED, gears were setup totally wrong, horrible backlash and pinion angle.
2) Shim was lying in the differential housing attached to nothing.
3) So I bought new gears and an install kit. It was dead quiet.
4) Then, started to make noise again. Axle bearings went out. It leaked out, soaked my caliper and pads, destroyed my caliper b/c it blew the seal out of the caliper. So my caliper is destroyed. Need a new one.
5) I ask Moser what bearings I need, I had 4 Moser techs tell me 8 different bearings. I guess they all had an individual theory So my installer was running all over town trying to find the different bearings they kept suggesting and then they say, "Oh, you won't find this bearing (the correct one) anywhere but us." So I have them overnight them.
6) I finally have the correct bearings on their way (they better f-ing well be the right bearings or they're eating the cost of shipping and parts both ways).

Their tech support is **** poor at best. They also couldn't setup a rearend if they tried. Anyone want, essentially, a brand new Moser 12 bolt with 4.10 gears, c-clip eliminators, all new bearings THROUGHOUT the entire rear end, Eaton posi, 33 spline axles? I hate this ****. Totally ridiculous.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:05 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Default Re: Moser is REALLY pissing me off!

if its an ABS (non TCS) rear I have someone looking for one if the price is right. Can come pick it up too
Old 05-27-2003, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

No TCS on it. I'm gonna see how it works out after I get it all back together. Essentially a $3400 rear end now after all is said and done.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:19 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I havent had any problems with mine so far, but its still fairly new. I did check the setup before I put it in though, it was pretty close. If its rebuilt and quiet now no use selling and losing the $$, then having to go through it again with another rear...

Old 05-27-2003, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hell, I could sell it and just put a stock 10-bolt in with a good posi. I never drag race anyway.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:32 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Got an ABS rear out of a 2002 (3.42 torsen) with 3300 miles on it laying here if you want to sell that moser
Old 05-27-2003, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After all the crap ive heard about moser, no way i'll ever buy anything from them
Old 05-27-2003, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow one person with a used moser that's bearings went out...boycott their products...please...what pish-posh
Old 05-27-2003, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

BIG PD, I'm totally aware of the the wear and tear principle. This doesn't justify their inabitlity to appropriately guide me in the right direction for getting parts for a product THEY build and for setting it up the way they did.

Where in my post did I say that I was upset because a bearing failed? It's a mechanical item that will fail. I'm not ignorant. As I stated before, their CUSTOMER service and ability to ASSEMBLE a rearend is mediocre, at best.

Old 05-27-2003, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

*shrug* I called them up, told them I had a moser 9" with 1.531" diameter axles and was in a pinch and needed new bearings. The guy I talked to immediately spit out the correct NAPA Part number. This was after I had searched all over HOUSTON looking for the same identical part that moser had sent me (I still had the original box, so I had a Brand and Part Number. Everyplace said they were *EXTREMELY* special order and said it would take weeks to get it, IF they could get it)

Can't say much for your experience, but I've talked with Moser's phone technical support staff on numerous occasions and I have dealt directly with Rob Moser concerning some technical issues and I have had nothing but top notch service from everyone there.

FWIW. My moser 9" with 4.10 gears (which everyone said would just be Noisy as all hell), is dead silent. I also only waited 9 days from the day I ordered the rear end until it arrived sitting on my front porch.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:09 PM
!Dial-up Director

I feel your pain CANNIBAL. I get pissed everytime I drive my car b/c of the loud *** f'ing gears.

Justin
Old 05-28-2003, 04:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

cannibal i wasn't talking about you...i was talking to venkman. there's no reason that somebody shouldn't buy something from moser (or any company for that matter) because someone has a problem one of their used parts. sorry about the customer service issue your having with them though.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:42 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had my Moser overhauled with a new gear. It SCREAMED instead of howled, it was horrible. Well we were able to pull the diff out by hand, the shim was just sitting in there. There was .020" of backlash and the wear pattern on the teeth was for ****. Anyway, we repacked it and set the backlash to .005", hoping that some hard launches will open it up a tad bit.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:51 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Just to be fair here, that Moser 12 bolt survived a ton of abuse and probably over a thousand quarter mile passes in the 1.4-1.6 60' range. It never gave me a hint of trouble. It was loud, but I'd rather have a loud 12-bolt that operates than a broken 10-bolt anyday. I broke 4 10-bolts with that car, before I put the 382ci in it. Two of those broke on the street on drag radials with just heads/cam.

Also remember that backlash will change after a rearend has been beat on. It was pretty quiet when it was first installed, and got louder over time (and track visits). Those axle bearing never leaked until you did a gear swap, which required them to be popped out of the axle tube ends to access the posi unit. I'll bet the installer damaged one of the O-ring bearing seals when putting them back into the axle tube ends.

Now, the shim laying in the bottom of the differential is just lame though! No explanation there.

Tony
Old 05-28-2003, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just to be fair here, that Moser 12 bolt survived a ton of abuse and probably over a thousand quarter mile passes in the 1.4-1.6 60' range. It never gave me a hint of trouble. It was loud, but I'd rather have a loud 12-bolt that operates than a broken 10-bolt anyday. I broke 4 10-bolts with that car, before I put the 382ci in it. Two of those broke on the street on drag radials with just heads/cam.

Also remember that backlash will change after a rearend has been beat on. It was pretty quiet when it was first installed, and got louder over time (and track visits). Those axle bearing never leaked until you did a gear swap, which required them to be popped out of the axle tube ends to access the posi unit. I'll bet the installer damaged one of the O-ring bearing seals when putting them back into the axle tube ends.

Now, the shim laying in the bottom of the differential is just lame though! No explanation there.

Tony
Tony, I totally agree with the integrity of the rearend as you beat the mortal hell out of it. No doubt the parts are top notch. I have just become very irrate with their customer service's inability to get the the right info. The way your gears were setup from Moser were for a tractor pull type gear setup. This sets it up for the most integrity with total disregard for noise which is no big deal but the shim lying in the case, no excuse, lol.

There are also no 0-ring seals on the housing, except for the one on the race. Moser said they don't install the outer seals even though they can be installed if the installer feels it necessary. If it were me I'd install the extra seal to prevent any type of leakage. Oh well, new seals going in, new bearings, the works. It's be the baddest, most quiet Moser 12 built ever assembled
Old 05-28-2003, 04:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I asked if Moser would like to be a sponsor here about a month ago. The guy I spoke to didn't even sound interested enough to check the site out.

Their loss!

Tony
Old 05-28-2003, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I asked if Moser would like to be a sponsor here about a month ago. The guy I spoke to didn't even sound interested enough to check the site out.

Their loss!

Tony
That's a shame, they could have learned a lot about their product and bettered themselves. Oh well.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

My Moser is a POS too. At first I thought I was going to live with the whine but eventually it became unbearable. I got to the point where I'd drive my truck to work (in San Antonio, with no AC) just to get a break from it. I finally ordered new gears and an install kit. I basically "eyeballed" the setup (no pinion depth check or anything like that) and got it much better. Eventually I changed ratios and still was able to "guess" and get the gears set up fine. How could they screw it up that bad when I got it right the first two times I'd ever done it and without the right tools???? Also, I added axle seals because the o-ringed bearings were leaking. I'd NEVER recommend a Moser rear (or anything else from them now) when there other options available. And yes BIG PD, I think a boycott IS appropriate. They're lucky some Democrat hasn't started a class-action suit against them. I'd prefer to just spread the word and spend my money somewhere else from now on...
Old 05-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Teching In

I'll bet the installer damaged one of the O-ring bearing seals when putting them back into the axle tube ends. Hello Im the Guy whos is working on Levis Moser rearend and I can tell you that the O-ring seal where in tact with no rips or tears on both axles. The bearings are a ball bearing with a cage around them and they are sealed from both sides and have very little grease in them in the first place. Levis bearings where leaked all the grease out from the seals on the bearing and not the O-ring. I talked to a guy whos works at a Huge bearing shop here in town and he told me that the bearings that Moser used are not rated for Automotive use due to the amount of time and the heat that is made from the Hi rpms the rearend turns. If Moser or who ever design this set would have seen the limitations of this bearing and if Moser would have set up this set up the rearend right in the first place Levi and other would not be Upset with there rearends. I shold have had someone come over and take some pics of the rearend and all the crap I had to go threw to set this rearend up. I hate fixing other peoples poor quality of work. I work on everyone car as if it was my own and when you pay as much as $2500+ for this rearend it better be right the first time. I had no clue of what this rearend has gone threw and if I did I would have told Levi to replace every bearing in the thing the first time, The axle bearings looked fine when I installed the gears but It won't happen again.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:02 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Good info on the bearings Spinmaster. Maybe I should email Moser a link to this post.

Tony