Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser is REALLY pissing me off!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Moser is REALLY pissing me off!

I just reread the whole thread, and I'm still a bit lost.

As I'm reading it...

you originally took it to Steve, the gears howled. You opened it up and found a shim in the bottom of it. (While it's an oddity, stuff happens, it could've been done at any time in the 2+ years the rear end has been in that car and had the **** beat out of it.)

You have the new gears installed, all good and quiet.

THEN the axle bearing went out. I'm sorry, but those bearings are a TIGHT fit in that axle tube to start with. It sounds to me like they were probably brittle and halfway worn out just from time and the beating they'd already had. Knowing the history of the car, I'd have probably gone ahead and replaced them along with the axle seals while I was there. You really can't blame Moser for this.

This was when you did the hooptie hoo for bearings, etc. (btw, which exact bearings did you end up using?)

Then the pinion seal started to leak? Was it leaking just as much before you had the new gears put into it?

The vent not being there is wierd, I expected mine to be in the same place as my stock rear end's was, but it ended up being on the top of the driver's side axle tube.

It's hard to say what is what and what's moser's fault. The rear end is a couple years old, has had tons of abuse, and worked fine up until you got it and opened it up. Maybe I'm just still confused.

As for the customer service issues, I never had any issues with them. But, I also wasn't calling them while they were having a semi-crisis situation at the company either. It happens.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hummmmm I hear a little sarcasm from that last post and your right, It does sound weird. Maybe the seal that Moser or Spicer used was a diffrent size on the ID than a regular 12 bolt seal but the bearings leaking after only a few hunderd miles That shows that the bearings are Junk from the get go. The bearings press on the proper way, They have a coller that you install to protect the bearing. Ill go threw the press process. first put the brake backing plate on the axle, then slide the new bearing over the axle, then slide the spacer over the axle. Now if your a installer that can see worth .02 then you will see the words press here only on the spacer. so then you use your 20ton press plates with the small hole and make sure the spacer is siting nice and flat on the plates. I like to use a little shot of oil to help the bearing press on to the axle shaft. Then press untill the bearing is seated to the axle flange And as far as having a loud rearend set up over a quite, your right on that part but you can set the gears up three diffrent ways. One is with the ware pattern towards the back of the ring fear(this is how you set them up for a tractor pull and High torqe applacations) and this is how Levis gear was set up from Moser. The second way is the netural set up thats when the pinion and the ring gear ride right in the middle of each other. This is the quite set up and the way I set up everyone gears and thrid is the drag race set up. this is when you have the pinion ride towards the front of the pinion. You check the pattern on every style to make sure but If Moser would pull threre head out of there Butts and tell the people who buy there products That this rearend is set up for racing and they will make noise but if you want them to be quite it can be done. After all someone has paid alot of money for this rearend and why Moser won't stand behind them, This tells me they are Junk from the get go. It was nice of Moser to send Levi a set of new bearings but they should have sent him a check for all there screw ups he has paid for. This is just my .02 . The funny part is this the only rearend that I have had problems with. I used the same yoke and I installed the same seal and I set the gears up so they are quite and I stood behind everthing I have done to this rearend but you won't see Moser doing Half of what I have done. The rearend did not have a vent in it untill I made one from the Cover. What's up with Moser , Hers the scoop folks, They want your money but when the screw up they tell you it's not there problem. WTF are they thinking with all the web site out there . Don't the know this knid of screw ups will kill them in the end. O well live and learn.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

xaon, the bearings for my axles are different from yours. The 88128R bearings were 40 thousandths to small on the ID to fit my 33 spline, c-clip eliminator axles. This is where all the issues started. I had 4 different Moser tech's tell me I need different bearings from what the other told me. I finally had to mic my axles and give them that info then they said, "Oh, you need an entirely different bearing than the 88128R." So I got the right ones from them, you can only get them from Moser b/c no one carries a Greenbearing brand of bearing but them (virtually). I get those, have them pressed on and boom, one of them leaks not only gear lube but the lithium grease inside the caged ball bearing portion of the new bearing. Less than 200 miles on it at that. The Moser tech said it's very rare for that to happen on those bearings but indeed says it does happen. He actually overnighted me FREE axle bearings for both sides. Hopefully this curbs the issue. I couldn't believe he sent me a free pair. I applaud them for stepping up to the plate on that.

My installer, spinmaster, had he known the abuse this rearend had he would have told me to get new bearings from the get-go so when I had new gears, bearings, etc installed he could have knocked all of that out as well. It wasn't his fault and he has stood behind his work. He had to teardown this rearend at least 4 times to get everything back together and didn't charge me for any of that labor.

Hopefully, this is the last of my bad rearend issues.

Old 06-05-2003, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

that's good to hear. I can feel your pain on the greenbearing brand. When I had to get a new set of bearings (I needed the press rings cause we had to pull mine back off, so I bought $65 bearings for $5 worth of press rings) I went to oreilly's and had a buddy do a search for the bearing, he came back and said that they were "SUPER SPECIAL ORDER" and that IF he could get them, it would take at least a couple weeks. That was when I went and called moser.

Glad to hear everything got worked out.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, Xaon. Let's both keep our fingers crossed that they work out
Old 06-05-2003, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

what is the highest spline they offer? what if you got a stupid amount of spline that you could never break and set it up for quietness? would it be the best of both worlds?
Old 06-05-2003, 03:12 PM
Teching In

I wonder how much Moser charges to set up a 12 Bolt in the first place? does anyone know?
Old 06-06-2003, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

i had a moser in my 93z and went through 3 pinion seals in a few months. it also had a clunk when id shift from reverse to forward and vise versa. vibrations were bad too. seemed like there was alot of play in the gears. only used street tires and 340rwhp for maybe 5000 miles. im going with a strange for the new ws6.