Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
View Poll Results: Gear Oil Weight for Stock 10 Bolt?
75W90
64.29%
75W140
35.71%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Gear Oil Weight Poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

80/90 mineral oil in the Strange 12/Eaton.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Straight weight 140. Schaffers #209 with suspended moly. Its a parrifin based product.

In your temperate climate... there is no reason to run a multi viscosity... and since it is for performance use, there is no reason to run anything under a 140wt or multi viscosity 85/140 type. I would advise against using a full synethic, unless someone is paying you to run their oil products or if you change it every 50k miles.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Richmond 85-140 GL6 snythetic in a trutrac 12 bolt.Fully cyrogenicly treated ring and pinion and differential.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
x2 on the Ford XL-3 additive. It's even less $$ than the Delco stuff! (But DAYUM is that some of the most putrid, pungent, persistant stink I've EVER had the displeasure to smell! )
Someone told me that the slip additive is really whale sperm.
If this is true talk about the shittiest job ever, whale sperm getter. Hope you did not get that spunk in your nose.

Maybe it was BS, I dunno.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

^^^^^
why do you think the ocean is so salty.......
Old 12-06-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bad6as
^^^^^
why do you think the ocean is so salty.......
Whoaa mule, too much information
Old 12-14-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Slip additive is BS, dont use that crap. If it chirps the tires around corners then you know its working. Additive is for people who drive minivans and soccer moms. Its only used to soften the feel of the posi unit action and to allow it to slip for a smoother ride.
Doug
Old 12-14-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Right....

Hey as long as your check clears... you sound like a great customer.

Friction modifier helps reduce frictional surface wear and helps with component longevity. It is also part of the lubericant base that changes the internal bias of a working friction type differential. A correctly tuned differential will still load the short side radius tire in a turn and induce the 'chirp' as you describe... and the correct amount of friction modifier will reduce acclerated clutch pack wear like you would have it you were not to use it.

There is more to correct operating bias than reducing it to a point of a smoother ride.

So in short... I guess not using friction modifier is for the under educated user or for idiots that have more money than brains and that want to spend it twice.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98catfish
Slip additive is BS, dont use that crap. If it chirps the tires around corners then you know its working. Additive is for people who drive minivans and soccer moms. Its only used to soften the feel of the posi unit action and to allow it to slip for a smoother ride.
Doug
Whatever!!!

85w140 Torco RGO and 4 ounces of Limited Slip Additive

Last edited by turbologics; 12-15-2007 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chicane
Right....

Hey as long as your check clears... you sound like a great customer.

Friction modifier helps reduce frictional surface wear and helps with component longevity. It is also part of the lubericant base that changes the internal bias of a working friction type differential. A correctly tuned differential will still load the short side radius tire in a turn and induce the 'chirp' as you describe... and the correct amount of friction modifier will reduce acclerated clutch pack wear like you would have it you were not to use it.

There is more to correct operating bias than reducing it to a point of a smoother ride.

So in short... I guess not using friction modifier is for the under educated user or for idiots that have more money than brains and that want to spend it twice.
THis is why I dont post alot on this board. The arrogance on this board is unreal. I post my opinion any people like you start the name calling.
So I guess you should call strange and tell them thay are idiots as well because I was told not to put slip additive in my s60.

So in short... Who the idiot is here is apparently still up for debate
Old 12-15-2007, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

So I guess you should call strange and tell them thay are idiots as well because I was told not to put slip additive in my s60.
WHICH diff, exactly, is in your Dana?? IF you have a True Trac, EVERYONE is 'right'.

Personal attacks aside, chicane is right. IF you have a friction/clutch pack type diff (Eaton Posi, any of the various Auburns, Trak Lock, Moroso, etc.) and you go around turns AT ALL (i.e.; NOT a trailered drag only car), you WILL burn the f'ers up without the friction modifier!!
Old 12-15-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

I have True-Track!
Also according to gm slip additive is not recomended in their truck rears either due to the use of synthetic gear oils which are used for their lubricity and because it makes the diff make less noise.

I am 40 yrs old and have been racing in one form or another since I was 14 and have never used additive far any rear unless it was to make it quieter. I have never had a problem with excessive wear.
Doug
Old 12-15-2007, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

If you have a True-trac or Zexel, torsen screw type, synthetic is perfect. I use Amsoil 75w140 sever gear oil in my Dana60 with a True-trac. Virtually no wear. Clutch type posi's cannot use synthetic oils and have to use hypoid gear oil with an additive, preferably GM additive. I cannot believe all of the strange answers. Additives are to provide just enough give to "clutches" in the posi case as they break free when the tires rotate at different speeds entering a corner. If you have a tight posi, such as in my 69 chevelle, 800lb springs, it will "squeel" the tires around corner. 800lb springs were chosen to hold up to 760HP of 540 motor, incidently. Stock 12 bolts had 28lbs of break free force. Not much huh. Today we recommend 200lb springs for most drivers, and 400lb springs for most street/strip cars, all of which take a posi additive for the clutches. Spools, mini-spools, puke!, screw types can use synthetics. 32 years diff rebuilding exsperience in and around Detroit area. I think we have some examples here. So be POLITE to one another. To the guys laughing about sperm whale oil, it was the key ingrediant in GM posi-lube back in the 60's and early 70's. Since we cannot kill any more whales for their oil we'll have to wait until someone can create a synthetic derivitive. Sorry some of you weren't born yet.

Last edited by 382ssz28; 12-17-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is why I don't post alot on this board. The arrogance on this board is unreal. I post my opinion any people like you start the name calling.

So in short... Who the idiot is here is apparently still up for debate

Ok... so you calling everyone who uses it a "soccer mom" and that they drive mini vans makes you the hypocrite. Your opinion however... falls short of an uneducated guess.

And your right... maybe I should call Strange and remind them (again) that they are idiots... just as I should remind you of the same. Because... of it being common knowledge... that you don't use limited slip additive... with a worm driven unit like you would with standard friction clutch or forcing cone type differential. But you knew that already didn't you ?? So why is it again that you are wasting our time here ??

GM doesn't recommend to use any additional limited slip additive to their synthetic lubricant... because it is already part of the base lubericant. With the only exception to RedLine's limited slip additive due to it being a synthetic derivative... all limited slip additive is paraffin based.

The 'who' debate ended... at post number 27.

Personal attack ?? Your kidding right ?? My comments were to address 98catfish's ignorance and to point out his hypocritical grandeur. There was no personal attack... not even close. Maybe some here should read up on satire and what its all about.

So why don't we all buck up and grow a pair ?? Before we delve into speculation and spreading misinformation... with or without satirical humor.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:38 AM
Teching In

I am 40 yrs old and have been racing in one form or another since I was 14 and have never used additive far any rear unless it was to make it quieter. I have never had a problem with excessive wear.
40 year olds feel threatened when proved wrong - They think with there 26 years of Grocery Cart racing as quoted by 98Catfish makes them an expert at all things in the world about racing
Old 12-17-2007, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chicane
Personal attack ?? Your kidding right ?? My comments were to address 98catfish's ignorance and to point out his hypocritical grandeur. There was no personal attack... not even close. Maybe some here should read up on satire and what its all about.
chicane; I was NOT accusing you of a 'personal attack'. I was only reponding to catfish98's thinking that you were attacking him (YES, with some sarcasm/satire ). I was actually defending your logic/knowledge. Hence why I asked him which diff he had, so no one would take for granted he had a clutch/cone type diff (which we all know takes mineral based gear oils and a friction modifier).
Old 12-17-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

For those of you that have ever had a posi failure at the track it most likely wouldnt have happened if you had not used slip additive.
Additives are to provide just enough give to "clutches" in the posi case as they break free when the tires rotate at different speeds entering a corner.

Simple... Use it clutches slip, Dont use it they wont. I personally dont think having the tires chirp in a turn is a bad thing.... When I dump the clutch I'm sure both tires are going to hook up.

I'm outta Here!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dailydriver
chicane; I was NOT accusing you of a 'personal attack'. I was only reponding to catfish98's thinking that you were attacking him (YES, with some sarcasm/satire ). I was actually defending your logic/knowledge. Hence why I asked him which diff he had, so no one would take for granted he had a clutch/cone type diff (which we all know takes mineral based gear oils and a friction modifier).
Naw... its all good. I know you were not pointing a finger at me directly, I just wanted to make my point of it not being a personal attack

As for catfish, good... Im glad your outta here. I leave for a week and your still spouting misinformation like its the gospel. Well... shade tree is as shade tree does.

First of all, the failure that you hear about from the track... are from blowing the side and spider gears out of the unit... and not so much from clutch pack failure. Go firgure. The failures have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with using or not using friction modifier.

And for your information genius... clutch chatter is also refered to as stick slip. Stick slip is essentially the buildup and release of energy between the differential clutch packs during operation. This phenomenon often occurs when torque is transferred between the clutches or when rotational speeds change. During the stick-slip phase, energy is built up to a point where contact between the clutch plates change between static friction (stick) and dynamic friction (slip), resulting in noticeable vibrations. It is this vibration that causes an audible chatter or ratcheting to be heard within the differential. While certainly an annoying characteristic, there is typically no mechanical damage occurring to the differential.

In an effort to control this chatter, friction modifiers are often used. These additives result in a smoother transition between the two states of friction: static and dynamic. Static friction occurs when the clutches physically lock together, while dynamic friction occurs as the clutches are slipping. Friction modifier has the objective of maintaining the dynamic friction characteristics while in the slip phase and not allowing the resistance to build back up to the stick phase until the unit stops turning. At the same time, it helps to insure maximum power transfer to the wheels. The friction modifier additive can be thought of as a friction "controller," insuring maximum clutch pack engagement while allowing the conversion from lock to slip to occur gradually.

It is basically an additive to modify the base lubericant and to control the CoF of the clutch (platen or forcing cone).
Old 12-20-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

I'm back ...Where GENIUS, did I say anything about gear chatter I was talking about tire chirping around corners. As for track failures I wasnt talking about catastrophic failure I was talking about clutch failure..You do understand that right. 1 tire spins and the other dosent?
Dont start trying to put me down to make yourself feel better.
Gm does use friction modifiers to keep down the noise in the rears, Just like they design automatic trannys to shift softer for comfort.
Now if your done slamming me for your own amusement I'll be leaving again.
I will be back if you start any more crap. So if you really want me gone STFU!

BTW it dose not seem like satire to me! Does it to anyone else?

Doug
Old 12-21-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I switched my 75-90MB1 to 75-140, obviously for the added protection for the 4.10 gears

Quick Reply: Gear Oil Weight Poll