Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

3.73's to 4.56's...et gains?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3.73's to 4.56's...et gains?

What should I expect. I was trapping 116,117 mph and running high 11's on the stock 10 bolt with 3.73's. I just bought a Moser with 4.56's. Any ideas...past experience?
Old 06-01-2003, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: 3.73's to 4.56's...et gains?

Anybody?
Old 06-01-2003, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd imagine you'd launch harder and trap lower.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What gear were you in at the end of the run?
What rpm were you at through the traps?
What traction did you get?
What was your 60' time?

Now, with the 4.56 gears... (not looking for answers from you, just giving you things to think about)
What gear will you be in at the end of the run?
Was there enough rpm left in your engine with 3.73s to allow you to be in the same gear as before? Will you still be making power at that rpm?
Or will you have to waste time and effort going into the next gear now? Will you be within the prime of your power band in that next gear, or will you waste time getting into it at the end of the run and not stay in it long enough to benefit the run?
Look at your traction and chassis limitations with the 3.73s, now wonder if the 4.56s will be a liability because you were running the ragged edge of traction before... or did you have enough stability and traction in reserve to support a radical gear change?
Just some things to consider...
You know these things better than I, so I don't have concrete answers. I would recommend using either a dragstrip simulator program or a trap speed/rpm gear calculator to compare the 2 gear sets using all the same other factors, such as tranny gearing and tire size, etc...
Good luck
Dave
Old 06-01-2003, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

What gear were you in at the end of the run? almost the top of 4th
What rpm were you at through the traps? about 6400
What traction did you get? decent with et streets worse with drag radials
What was your 60' time? 1.66 on et streets

I broke an axle on drag radials and wanted the durability over my 10 bolt. I was running on 26/10.5/15's I will be moving up to 28's and going to an et drag. I still have about 300 rpm left at the traps.

Thanks for the reply.
<font color="blue"> <!--color--></font>
Now, with the 4.56 gears... (not looking for answers from you, just giving you things to think about)
What gear will you be in at the end of the run?
Was there enough rpm left in your engine with 3.73s to allow you to be in the same gear as before? Will you still be making power at that rpm?
Or will you have to waste time and effort going into the next gear now? Will you be within the prime of your power band in that next gear, or will you waste time getting into it at the end of the run and not stay in it long enough to benefit the run?
Look at your traction and chassis limitations with the 3.73s, now wonder if the 4.56s will be a liability because you were running the ragged edge of traction before... or did you have enough stability and traction in reserve to support a radical gear change?
Just some things to consider...
You know these things better than I, so I don't have concrete answers. I would recommend using either a dragstrip simulator program or a trap speed/rpm gear calculator to compare the 2 gear sets using all the same other factors, such as tranny gearing and tire size, etc...
Good luck
Dave
Old 06-02-2003, 06:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I love my 4.56's. Good choice.

I can't quantify how they helped me, but I know they did. And the car is much more fun...

Good luck.

-Andrew

Quick Reply: 3.73's to 4.56's...et gains?