Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" - Brand NEW and NOISY!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have three friends that just bought Moser 9", including myself.

One of them whined and the other two were quite. The one that was bad ,trashed the gears set. You could have cut your hand on the edge of the ring gear. It was as sharp as a knife, and as loud as a fog horn.

When he called Moser about the issue they said they wouldn't warranty it, because it was over the 30 or 90 days.. Thats bs because it didn't have 500 miles on it, never been to a track, just a mild 500hp street car. We didn't even the thing installed before the rear end was out of warranty. The powder coat shop took a month, then bmr sent the wrong drive shaft. It was alsmost three months old before he even put a mile on it. And for Moser to say "He could send it in and they would look at it, but most likely he will have to buy a new set of gears, and pay for shipping both ways"

Thats just poor customer service and poor quality control.

On a side note: I have had my Moser 9 sitting under the car , with no motor or tranz, for almost 4 months, and it wont be running for another 3-4.. I hope it doesn't whine, Moser "might" not honor the warranty. lol

Good luck to all, guess we all need to pull them apart and REset them.

Does anyone with a Strange have this much problems???
Old 09-26-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some gear sets make more noise than others.

If your 12 bolts happens to have a US gear set installed, those
are known for thier gear noise.

With that said however, US gears are supposed to be very strong.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely disagree. With the exception going towards Richmond. As a generalization, yes... some do make more noise than others due to them being set up improperly, because of housing irregularities or a combination of both.

USGear isnt known for noise more than any other gear manufacturer... however, the installer that set them up... is now suspect.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats a pretty pathetic warranty for dropping 2 and a half large on a rear...
Old 09-26-2007, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by caddobass
I also feel screwed by Moser my 9" was ordered with a complete aluminum center section that has leaked from the pinion seal from day one and with less then 30 passes no more posi just one wheel pulling. So much for the Auburn posi upgrade. The rear was always loud and when you talk with them on the phone you get alot of bullshit.
Great, I also got the auburn upgrade. ooh yeah-my pinion leaked also.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 289 Likes on 109 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Problems with Moser rear ends

This has turned into an interesting thread.......I had no idea there would be so many complaints showing up.

I was told my vendor that Moser would not do anything about the noise, basically NO WARRANTY. I could not agree more with what some of you have mentioned.

It is a real shame a company like that chooses to not work with their customer for satisfaction on something so obvious. Hell, if it is the gear set 'Richmond' then change suppliers or use a disclaimer notifying the end user of the situation. Probably 8-10 of the people on this forum would not buy one if they knew they were going to experience noise. I would assume most people, as myself, are 'street' driving these cars. Most, are probably not dedicated drag strip cars where noise would be more tolerable. If I recall these are 'street' gears, not 'race' gears.

Given the fairly decent search function and wealth of knowledge on this site I can only hope that others will recognize this 'common' problem and make more educated decisions.

There seems that there should be a better solution to this.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I was ready to get one, now I am gun shy.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:24 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I sell a lot of Moser 9 inch rears, sometimes three to four a day. Every now and then someone will have one that has noisy gears, but most are very quiet. I have heard the same thing about the rears made by Strange as well. The nice thing about getting one from Moser is it is shipped out two days after the order is received. Bob
Old 09-27-2007, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

Bob,

Is there anything you can do for people that ordered rears that are niosy from you.
Like mabee a new gearset and pinion seal?
Old 09-28-2007, 04:35 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by Sartobuilt
Bob,

Is there anything you can do for people that ordered rears that are niosy from you.
Like mabee a new gearset and pinion seal?
Possibly, I have helped my customers out in the past. PM me with your request. Thanks. Bob
Old 09-28-2007, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

dont know what you heard....15 min with cooldowns inbetween unloaded pressure (lift or jack stands). then a FULL week of low rpm's = success in no whine. If this sounds like too much then deal with the whine...otherwise....follow instructions....
Old 09-28-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrd1972
..... +1
Old 09-29-2007, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Just get it from scott @ driveline, he doesnt have moser set them up.
not one complaint from his set-ups yet that i've researched!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:45 PM
9 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Noisy Moser

Originally Posted by 427Cya
dont know what you heard....15 min with cooldowns inbetween unloaded pressure (lift or jack stands). then a FULL week of low rpm's = success in no whine. If this sounds like too much then deal with the whine...otherwise....follow instructions....
If it makes noise from the beginning, it will make noise forever 9 times out of 10.

Hmmm..... I sitting here reading this great BIG YELLOW sheet that came in my Moser box with my Moser rear end, center section, and axles. It reads:

BREAK IN PROCEDURE:

STREET:
1. With car still on jack stands and rea end filled with proper amount of NON-SYNTHETIC lube, run in forward and reverse for approaximately 2 to 3 minutes.**

2. Drive vehicle approximately 10 miles at normal operating speed. Accelerate and decelerate several times conservatively, the let cool for one hour.

3. Done

OVAL TRACK:
Note: For oval track applications, add 2-3 extra pints of gear lube.
1. Repeat step one above.

2. Run several laps at slow to medium speeds; let cool.

3. Run several hotlaps; let cool.

Drag Racing:

1. Repeat step one above.**

2. Pull to line.

Also there is a box at the bottom of the sheet which is a disclaimer!

Gear Noise:
"All Moser Engineering gears and other aftermarket gears (non-OEM) are designed mainly for strength and may be noisy. The noise may be especially noticeable in vans and quiet passenger cars."

This is also known as a CYA policy.

IMO, this should be there for everyone to read that is considering this type of set-up. I had asked these questions repeatedly during my research before purchasing one. It was not brought to light at all. I can only recommend you do your homework......and if you have read this thread it should pretty much answer your questions.

There are people who have had quiet 'street' 9" gear sets. The actual percentage from Moser..... who knows? You will undoubtedly hear you are the minority.
The fact is, if you buy it and it is noisy you will be stuck with it.

Last edited by helicoil; 09-29-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:16 PM
9 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Rear End Noise

Well, I now have 160 miles on the rearend and two track passes and without a doubt the rearend is much, much louder. I went out to a local cruise tonight and put about 20 miles on the car and took it home because it is too annoying to drive for any period of time.

I plan on swapping converters next week to hit the local drag strip one more time before they close it for the year in my goal to get some 11 sec slips and then it is coming out.

There will be pictures added to this thread at that point. I am pretty good with the camera.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/729768-2000-ss-tear-down-pics.html

The car would be a blast to drive except for the noisy rearend.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:57 AM

I just had FCcustoms install a fabed 9in. with the true trak differential and 4.11's. It whined quite loud for over 200 miles, but has gotten less as I put more miles on it. Mine does not whine on decel, it growles! It's pretty quite accelerating, until about 90mph, then I incounter a rearend vibration that just keeps getting worse. It still whines at steady state speeds. Plus, now my tires rub on the inside of my wheel wells. I'm taking it back this week, but the lesson is buyer beware.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Mine has had a leaky pinion seal and whine on accel from 45mph and up from the day of install.I even put this in a thread in this forum just after my install.I too assumed they knew what they were doing and didnt double check their setup they sent me.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I think thats why If I can squeeze the cash out of the dusty wallet I'll get a custom one from a member here. Moser is just too good of quality from what I hear.

Quick Reply: Moser 9" - Brand NEW and NOISY!