Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Holy crap! Strange 12-bolt is basically a direct bolt-in.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Holy crap! Strange 12-bolt is basically a direct bolt-in.

if you don't mind me asking, what is the ballpark price that it ended up costing you.

Ryan. <-- debating what to do.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem, Ryan. I ordered the rear from Tbyrne with the aluminum cover, HD posi w/ 33spline axles, and complete with new backing plates. I caught it while Tom was offering $150 discount so the complete rear came to $2580. Shipping was $217 on top of that. Then there's miscellaneous stuff like the connectors, zip ties, any tools that you may need, etc. I'd definitely recommend a new driveline like a Denny's too if you don't already have one - that'll run you ~$335 with a cast slip yoke or ~$490 with a billet yoke. I think that's about it.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

alright, thanks.

About what i have priced out before... time to start adding more money to the "buy slow a 12 bolt fund"

Ryan.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:05 AM
Launching!

theres a group purchase happening in the sponsers forum right now for the strange 12 bolt. They say you dont have to send in your reluctors and backing plates either.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A clearence problem I found on every Strange 12 bolt with support cover is the pass side cap brace screw will hit the top frame brace(obove panhard bar)You just need to notch it to give clearence.
You can get flush mounted support covers that won't do this.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

[quote You can get flush mounted support covers that won't do this.

[/quote]

Who manufactures these? I'd like to avoid notching the support!

Old 06-27-2003, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, I ran into my first snag last night, but it appears to be a minor one. At about 95 break-in miles my ABS INOP light came on. Got home and checked out the connection to the ABS sensor (mine has the 3-channel setup) and all looked okay. Checked the resistance through the factory wiring harness and that showed no short, so my connectors were good. Then I removed the sensor from the pumpkin and checked the resistance. It read 686 ohm. According to the manual the acceptable range is 763-1525 ohm. The speed sensor was still installed in my stock rear so I checked that for reference - 1124 ohm. So it looks like the ABS sensor that came with my Strange has somehow become defective (weird that it would show up after seemingly working fine for the first 95 miles). I did not check it beforehand and kinda wish I did now just to see if it was good then, but it does appear to be the cause of my problem.

I called Strange and they were very helpful. They're shipping me a new sensor Monday via UPS (at my cost, but I send them mine, they confirm its bad, and reimburse me - which minimizes my downtime) and then we'll see if that fixes the problem. Although it occurs to me that I don't know how to "clear" the ABS INOP light...

At any rate I would recommend doing two things (the first of which was recommended to me by someone else and now I'm VERY glad I did it) when you get your new Strange:
1) Unscrew the ABS sensor and look in the hole to make sure the reluctor wheel is installed. It'll look like a little paddle wheel. I've heard at least one account of this not getting installed to the posi and then the rear having to be disassembled to install it. This quick check may eliminate one possible cause later if you have a problem. Also, make sure you note how deep the ABS sensor is threaded into the housing (I just marked it with a Sharpie marker) so you can match that depth when re-installing it.
2) If you have access to a multi-meter, check the resistance across the sensor and make sure its within OEM spec.

Old 06-28-2003, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Good news about the BMR bolt on LCA relocation brackets. One less thing that I have to worry about when I do my install!
Old 06-28-2003, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[quote You can get flush mounted support covers that won't do this.
Who manufactures these? I'd like to avoid notching the support!

[/quote]

I got mine from Moser-

BUT... TA makes this piece. It had their name on the box. I think Moser just has their name milled on it. Call TA and see if you can get one. You would think Stange would sell these.

The other covers with the bolts sticking out will hit your panhard bar and the top panhard/body support.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's a link to the TA Performance website TA Cover Looks like their p/n 1810 is the one. Funny thing is that in the TA pics it doesn't look like the support bolts are flush-mounted like rodent's. Maybe an old pic or something I think I might pick one up from TA and see how it fits...
Old 06-29-2003, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a link to the TA Performance website TA Cover Looks like their p/n 1810 is the one. Funny thing is that in the TA pics it doesn't look like the support bolts are flush-mounted like rodent's. Maybe an old pic or something I think I might pick one up from TA and see how it fits...
The ones in the pictures are not flush mounted. I'd call them first and ask about this. Who knows, maybe they can only sell that design to Moser for some reason. If worse comes to worse, you can always get it from Moser and cover the name with something.

They definitly make them for the Ford 8.8:

So I assume they make them for the 12 bolt.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Good info, rodent. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I think I might pick one up from TA and see how it fits...
Cool...if you do, keep us informed!!
Old 06-30-2003, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Okay, I gave TA a call this morning and asked about the 12-bolt cover with the recessed load bolts. They told me that Moser stocks them and that they generally only run them for Moser. If you're willing to wait they can run them with the TA logo, but it may take a bit. I went ahead and ordered one and he estimated a few days before the next run. Will install it when I have to change the fluid and see how the clearance is compared to the LPW.
I didn't get the price, but I'm thinking its around $160 plus the stud kit. If anyone else is interested, the guy I talked to was Mike - number is 480-922-6807. Its the GM 12-bolt car (not truck) cover with the recessed load bolts that you want.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, I gave TA a call this morning and asked about the 12-bolt cover with the recessed load bolts. They told me that Moser stocks them and that they generally only run them for Moser. If you're willing to wait they can run them with the TA logo, but it may take a bit. I went ahead and ordered one and he estimated a few days before the next run. Will install it when I have to change the fluid and see how the clearance is compared to the LPW.
I didn't get the price, but I'm thinking its around $160 plus the stud kit. If anyone else is interested, the guy I talked to was Mike - number is 480-922-6807. Its the GM 12-bolt car (not truck) cover with the recessed load bolts that you want.
Good job! This would be good to have for all 12 bolt owners. I'm really surprised they don't normally stock these since there are clearance issues with the f-body (with 12 bolt, 10 bolt fits okay). The quality of the cover is very nice. I didn't get get the stud option with mine, but it did come with allen bolts and washers.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Once I install it and can confirm that everything fits and clears, I'll give this feedback to Strange. It doesn't appear that this revised cover has been available for very long so they may not know about it - or they have some contract with LPW. Who knows. I agree though that this sure looks to be the way to go.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

hi guys...i'm buying a strange soon my question is,will i need to purchase a ADJ pan-hard rod or can i use the stock one...
Old 07-01-2003, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

chris, if you didn't need an adjustable PHR before you shouldn't need one after the new rear. I have an adjustable one, but didn't have to adjust it at all. My fenderwell-to-wheel dimension on each side was exactly the same before and after the installation.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My stock PHR hit the support bolts on the diff cover thus I went with the Moser diff cover. This is on a Moser 12 bolt but I assume the Strange is the same. If you didn't get the girdle, then you should be fine.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually even with the non-recessed studs, my PHR (old-style BMR adjustable) clears the girdle. Its not by much - maybe 3/8" - but it does clear. Haven't checked the stock one, but as I recall, it did have a wider cross-section so that might be the difference. Most of the aftermarket PHR's are tubular so they should be okay - adjustable or not.

At this point I'd recommend rodent's solution - if you get the Strange axle, just order it without the aluminum diff cover and then get a Moser/TA cover with the recessed load bolts. That seems like the safest route as far as clearance is concerned.

Quick Reply: Holy crap! Strange 12-bolt is basically a direct bolt-in.