Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Midwest Chassis & Performance fab rearends... new pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to say I LOVE THE REAREND and the below problem could happen to any rearend.

I am getting a loud thump/poping noise when I make 75-90 degree turns???? It doesn't happen everytime either only about half the time?

Anyone else run into this problem.

I have a 31 spline axle setup, with a truetrac (suppose to be dead quiet)
No gear noise what so ever.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally in, just need to install Drive shaft move the LCA's and set angles.
Thanks Eric for all your help with the axle issue.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Just wanted to say I LOVE THE REAREND and the below problem could happen to any rearend.

I am getting a loud thump/poping noise when I make 75-90 degree turns???? It doesn't happen everytime either only about half the time?

check your rear sway bar.
on one of my rearends the rear swaybar was hitting the cover on the rear when i made a sharp turn.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

check your rear sway bar.
on one of my rearends the rear swaybar was hitting the cover on the rear when i made a sharp turn.
Will do. Where you running the factory sway bar at that time or aftermarket?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so is the watts link going to be able to fit the fab 9? i saw eric mention something about it but no one elaborated on it.so what's the deal?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
^^^is that with a midwest fab 9? any pics? im assuming eric has his own tq arm relocation kit with his tq arm or is it a bmr one. doesn't the 3pt sfc's connect to the relocation kit?
Yes, I have a midwest fab 9. Sorry no pics for install. Kind of hard to take pics when you are working by yourself. lol His long tq arm mounts to the transmission brace, which removes the tq arm from mounting to the transmission. The short tq arm comes with the appropriate mount that fits, and ties together 3 pt sfc if you have them.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by T/A KID

I know there is 80 pages in this thread but if you read through them (or used the site's search engine) there are quite a few of us that have this issue. I called Eaton (manufacturer of the trutrac) and he said it is definitely not suppose to act like that. He said Eric or I would have to remove it, ship it to Eaton, they would inspect it and decide if it is bad, then issue a refund to the person who sold it to me, Eric.

Long story short, No you are not the only one who has an issue with thier 31 spline trutrac popping and clunking around corners. More specifically the rear end has to be warmed up (cold it won't do it) and you have to be under a little bit of acceleration for it to do it. If you have a 6 speed coast at that same angle of turn and it wont do it . Ill let you know if I am able to figure out a solution with eaton on this.

Last edited by faster_n_you98; 07-02-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

??? and what horrible experience have you had??? news to me. I take care of all my customers within the warranty process(only a couple that have), but in this situation we have to go by the guidelines of the manufacturer of the product. if you have a problem with the truetrac then it is a issue with Eaton, not me. I manufacture the housings, torque arms, crossmembers and pivot link... no the center section or parts within, or axles. I am a consumer at that point, same as you. I will be more than happy to help you with whatever I can within reason to resolve the issue with your rearend. please pm me with your info so i can help you as im not even sure who you are.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

so is the watts link going to be able to fit the fab 9? i saw eric mention something about it but no one elaborated on it.so what's the deal?

watts link setups are available with my fab rearends and the backbraced ones included, but are a build per order type thing.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

^^thanks for the response
Old 07-02-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Eric has been more than willing to help me out on the noise coming from the rear (again he didn't build the posi unit, so thats not on him). I am sorting out other issues at the moment and hopefully soon when the car is road worthy again I can work out the issuses on the Truetrac.

Something that did help was that one of the axles was a about 1.5 inches too long from moser, we cut the axle down and crowned the end and now it only pops/thumps about half the time opposed to all the time?
Old 07-03-2009, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

So far I am very happy with my Midwest 9. Break in period is complete. Direct bolt in with no modifications like you hear about with others.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

so when using eric's chromoly tq arm is there a tq arm relocation kit? or just a chassis mount and a trans mount?
Old 07-05-2009, 01:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

just orderd mine too !! whats the typical wait time for these ???

exicited excited !!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

so when using eric's chromoly tq arm is there a tq arm relocation kit? or just a chassis mount and a trans mount?

both torque arm setups use a aircraft grade heim joint at the front of the torque arm. the heim joint attaches to a 4 hole height adjustable pivot link. the pivot link is attached to the crossmember with a Energy Suspension poly bushing to eliminate the noise associated with aftermarket torque arms.

both long and short torque arm versions include a new crossmember to eliminate the arm being mounted to the transmission. we have crossmembers available for all transmission combos and almost all exhaust setups. either version is the same price. the short arm version includes a driveshaft loop as where the long arm does not. we do have a bolt-in loop available that fits the long arm though.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by randomnine7
just orderd mine too !! whats the typical wait time for these ???

exicited excited !!

depending on options and if it is a complete assy or not, order time is usuallly 2-4 weeks. sometimes the powdercoater will hang us up a bit, but usually not too bad.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i orderd no powder coating ..

i dont knw if i can change my order but i want the tq arm with the driveshaft loop with it .

what do you think my best set up would be right now as from short to long torque arm ..

car makes about 600rwhp and it will make aloot more later .. so short or long ?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Got mine yesterday - looks good.

Should have it in and ready for the weekend.

Thanks Eric!

Jeremy
Old 07-15-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for another question answered. ill be ready to order by the end of the year. im curious as to why people narrow rears for a deep dish look i don't understand how you get more of a deep dish look with narrowed rear? ive never ran spacers or anything like that either.

btw, eric what's the additional cost of the watts link (pm me)
Old 07-15-2009, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

thanks for another question answered. ill be ready to order by the end of the year. im curious as to why people narrow rears for a deep dish look i don't understand how you get more of a deep dish look with narrowed rear? ive never ran spacers or anything like that either.

btw, eric what's the additional cost of the watts link (pm me)
Shorter the rearend the less offset you can run. Less offset = more dish.

if you have it narrowed 3" a side - you can run 4.5" back spacing wheels.

Quick Reply: Midwest Chassis & Performance fab rearends... new pics