Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

People w/4.56 gears- and 4.56 in a 10-bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default People w/4.56 gears- and 4.56 in a 10-bolt?

What are 4.56 gears like on a street-driven car? My car is basically stock and I shift around 2000-2500 depending on my mood. I don't feel like I get on it too much and I only get 16mpg. What kind of gas mileage do you guys get with 4.56 gears and how often do you shift? Do you skip from 1st to 3rd to 5th and isn't that a pain in the butt if you do? I would think it would get annoying.

I have an internet buddy that has an Eaton Posi and 4.56 gears in his ten-bolt TA. The car has about 430rwhp and he runs 275 nitto's. He launches at the track and has been for over a year this way with no problems; of course he doesn't hook all that great either. He says people way underestimate the factory ten bolts and that they are stronger than people make them out to be. He doesn't even have a TA cover, it's a stock cover. (He said those barely help and that the stud kit was an absolute joke; he's never seen a bolt break on one....) I know the higher the gear the thinner the gears are so I'm wondering how come he hasn't broken them yet? Is it just because he isn't getting traction? The first time he puts slicks on, is it going bye bye?
Old 07-07-2003, 04:47 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: People w/4.56 gears- and 4.56 in a 10-bolt?

Does he have an A4? That may be why. You have a M6 so don't waste any of your money upgrading the stock rear. Just put that money towards a 12 bolt or 9 inch. If you put 4.56 gears in that 10 bolt POS I guarantee you will break it. Ask me how I know . . . and that was with around 275 rwhp.