Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How do I verify the speedo after gears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I verify the speedo after gears?

Here's the deal. I know exactly what ratio I have. 3.73, since I put the ring and pinion in myself. The car is a 2000 TransAm A4.

I had the car tuned by one of the best tuners on the east coast. But, I'm not sure the mph on the speedo is correct. I was told they set eveything correct for 3.73. They've offered to put it on the dyno to verify. Before I go this route, I wanted to verify for myself. For Corvettes, you can put the car in 3rd and at 75mph, divide RPM's by 1000 to tell your ratio. For the F-bodies, what's the speed to you have to go for this trick.

What I'm trying to do is verify that my speedo is set correctly. Any other suggestions? Last resort is to pace a friend's car on the highway.

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

Get your girlfriend in her little Kia Rio out on the highway and get two Scooby Do walkie talkies, then have her pace you side by side. You can then talk dirty to her while she records her speedo and relays it back to you.

Or you can wiz past a state patrol on the highway at 6,000 rpm and see how fast your clocked at when you get pulled over.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

This is what i did, get a stop watch, and a friend. Go out on the highway or anywhere with mile markers. Set you cruise at what is 60mph then soon as you pass a mile marker hit the timer, and when you get to the next one it should be approximately 1 minute. This what i did to get my car as close as possible when i had my gears installed with the diablo handheld tuner.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Go out for a drive and look at what gear your in, speed, and rpm. Then verify here.

http://www.f-body.org/gears/
Old 03-08-2008, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jays00ss
Get your girlfriend in her little Kia Rio out on the highway and get two Scooby Do walkie talkies, then have her pace you side by side. You can then talk dirty to her while she records her speedo and relays it back to you.

Or you can wiz past a state patrol on the highway at 6,000 rpm and see how fast your clocked at when you get pulled over.
Does it matter if it's my girlfriend or my wife? Maybe I should try both out to see which one gives the best results. And if they start talking dirty to each other, gears will be the last thing on my mind.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02T/A-WS6
Go out for a drive and look at what gear your in, speed, and rpm. Then verify here.

http://www.f-body.org/gears/
Thanks for the link......problem is I don't think those calculators are accuate. Theoretically, they are accurate, but real life is somewhat different. I guarantee that no one will see those numbers exactly match up. I think the problem lies in the fact that the tire diameter is lower, due to the weight of the car. It squishes out some, reducing effective diameter.

Seems like pacing it is the only option.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nj02vette
Thanks for the link......problem is I don't think those calculators are accuate. Theoretically, they are accurate, but real life is somewhat different. I guarantee that no one will see those numbers exactly match up. I think the problem lies in the fact that the tire diameter is lower, due to the weight of the car. It squishes out some, reducing effective diameter.

Pacing is your best bet, i just had a friend pace me till i get another tune. Those gear calculators can only do so much.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Does it matter if it's my girlfriend or my wife? Maybe I should try both out to see which one gives the best results. And if they start talking dirty to each other, gears will be the last thing on my mind.
Yes!!! I was just kiddin with ya, and you took it pretty well.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I input my tire size exactly what i have on the car to bring up the exact tire diameter and what i experienced is exactly what the calculator said it should be. But thats just my own personal results. I knew before when i had 3.42 in 6th gear doin 2k i was doin 89-90 and then with the 4.10s I am doin 74 in sixth gear turnin 2k rpms. Seem to be spot on at least for me.

Even if the tire sag is like a 1/4 inch it only effects the gear calculator my one mile an hour.

As long as your tires inflated to the specified amount I would at least compare your results with the gear calculator
Old 03-09-2008, 06:00 AM
On The Tree

GPS unit. That is what was used to find out how fast I'm going. Long story short, I got pulled over for doing 70+ in a 65. Needless to say, I was like WTF. Buddy pulled out his GPS unit and rode with me in the car and it reported my MPH. I was off by +4MPH. Not good when you have a cop behind ya pacing you for 3.5 miles.

BTW, My speedo was right on 70MPH when the cop nailed me. Now, Of course i adjust my speed to compensate for this discrepancy (66/67 on the speedo) for 70MPH with 3.73's. Ya, I hate it, but i will get it fixed once get through my court date.

I did try to have the dealer fix it, but all they said was it's within spec. O well.

Last edited by MYTFASTSS; 03-09-2008 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MYTFASTSS
GPS unit. That is what was used to find out how fast I'm going. Long story short, I got pulled over for doing 70+ in a 65. Needless to say, I was like WTF. Buddy pulled out his GPS unit and rode with me in the car and it reported my MPH. I was off by +4MPH. Not good when you have a cop behind ya pacing you for 3.5 miles.

BTW, My speedo was right on 70MPH when the cop nailed me. Now, Of course i adjust my speed to compensate for this discrepancy (66/67 on the speedo) for 70MPH with 3.73's. Ya, I hate it, but i will get it fixed once get through my court date.

I did try to have the dealer fix it, but all they said was it's within spec. O well.
FYI everyone, the GPS unit is absolutely the way to go! Worked perfectly and I've finally got my shifting problem and Speedo error fixed.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2008, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jays00ss
uhhh...we have cell phones now. haha
Old 05-14-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

What are your rpms in OD at 50, 60, 70, 80? I'd like to confirm yours with mine as I believe my tach reads a little high. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MattIROC
What are your rpms in OD at 50, 60, 70, 80? I'd like to confirm yours with mine as I believe my tach reads a little high. Thanks.
Don't have the car with me today, but if you put in 3rd (auto) or 4th (manual) and drive ~75mph, you RPM's should equal your gear ratio x 1000.

So, if you have 3.73's, you should be turning 3730 RPM (give or take )
Old 05-15-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

All I did was go by one of those signs that shows your real speed and compared to my speedo. With 3.73s I was only like a 1/2 a mile an hour off after I recalibrated. Not enough to worry.