Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Whine Is Cured!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ok...

Once again just because everything is set to spec doesnt mean it's not going to whine. a few thousandths mean a whole new ball game as far as whine goes. It's kind of a teeter totter process. I was just stating that I finally got the gears set where they were in spec and they dont whine at all. However you have moser gears which are known to whine like all get out.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thread-jack

OK so I am putting Motive 4.10's in my stock 10-bolt rear in my 98 TA as we speak. This is a true 4.10 with a 10 tooth pinion. I replaced all the bearings and seals. Right now I've got a good contact pattern and about .003 of backlash. It's turns smooth as glass, but I know it's supposed to be minimum of .005 backlash. My question is: What will happen if I run it at .003 instead of loosening it up to .005? What is the best recommended setting for QUIETEST operation? I dont care about strength, I want them QUIET. Thanks for your help!

Old 04-11-2008, 10:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its hard to say because my work was more or less done with the 9" . But too much of a bind will cause whine on acceleration. You probably wont get both sides perfectly quiet. I would tailor is more for drive side so while in cruise control you are less apt to hearing it. Just because it's smooth as glass now while no under load doesnt mean it will be safe enough for you either. I've seen people set the backlash improperly and bind the gears and snap the gear set. I Think that .003 might have an effect. Just my .02