Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Have rear clunk when turning left only

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Have rear clunk when turning left only

When I turn left, I always hear a load metalic clucking noise from the rear of the car. I called one of our sponsors, and got the advice that it was the springs on the rear spring perches. I was to lubricate the spring & perch with WD40. I did that and it did not get rid of the clunking noise.

I have always thought that it is the rear diff because this noise only happens when I turn left, never while I turn right. And, the clunking noise is getting worse with time.

What do you guys think?

I will remove the rear diff cover this week. Assuming that its the diff, what are my options? I believe that I have a Torsen T2 (can anyone confirm that?) and 4.10 motive rear gears. And yes, I needed the slit paddle in order to complete the install of the 4.10 gears. I would like to stay with the Torsen,,, are there better rear diffs?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:44 AM
Launching!

I had the same problem and then BOOM it was a wrap I blew the hole damn rear now i got a 12bolt Moser and dont now what parts I need to put the damn thing in I just bought off my boy for a grand with less then 200 miles on it so be careful it could be weak if you have alot the rear.....BB
Old 04-08-2008, 03:47 AM
10 Second Club

My stock 10bolt has been making the same noises so I am leaving the car parked until my new Strang 12 bolt comes in and I can install it!!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Launching!

I had the same thing happen and I had thought it might have been my LCAs sliding and hitting the brackets (because of a worn bushing) so you can try checking that out.

If that's not the problem then you probably have the same problem as me... You're gonna blow out your rear end. I'm actually about to swap a new one in. Hope it's nothing serious like mine tho. And if you do need a new rear end... do the swap yourself! Screw the shops. They want too much.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

It happened to me too...only it was when I was turning right. I later come to figure out it is because I didnt put the jack back in right and it was rubbing on the metal..For 3 days I thought it was the bushings!
Old 04-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigbird01
It happened to me too...only it was when I was turning right. I later come to figure out it is because I didnt put the jack back in right and it was rubbing on the metal..For 3 days I thought it was the bushings!
ha ha ha. No offense but that's just funny. Actually come to think of it... probably something I'd do.

To the poster... Check out everything before you start freaking out and buying a new rear end. Just take a look at all the bushings in the suspension and check the torque on every bolt you can get a wrench on.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Wel, I dont have the jack or spare tire in the car anymore, thats where the NOS bottle goes, but even that is not in the car right now.

I took off the rear end cover plate and I see no damage. I do have some fine ground up metal sticking to the magnet. So I'm still at a lose here.

One interesting point, I called Reider Racing, which is near by, and the tech guiy there told me I have some broken springs. Now these Torsens are not supposed to have springs, all gear diff. I did not see any springs during my inspection, what the hell is this guy talking about? Of course, he's got a Torsen that he would like to sell me.

How much fluid does the rear end hold?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Rear end holds 1 3/4 quarts. I just did that yesterday to my new rear. I talked to a guy that knows a **** ton about chevy and he said that the popping I was getting could have been from the springs in my spider gears not being strong enough to make the gears stay engaged. And that I should use heavier weight oil (85w-140) to make the internals stay stronger and last longer. Maybe that's what the mechanic you talked to was talking about.

But if you have a Torsen that's supposed to be all gear diff, then I have no clue. I'd still say check the suspension if you haven't yet.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

Yea, I checked the suspension, but cant identify anything that would cause this clunk I hear. I hear one clunk or two clunks on every tight left hand turn. Hearing two at times kind of rules out something loose or sliding, that would clunk once only per turn.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

blown posi.. my car did the same and eventually the posi went. Mine was an auburn and one side gear got destroyed causing it to clunk when i took sharp turns
Old 04-13-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

I have a Detroit TrueTrac coming on Monday, along with the Trick Flow cover plate from Summit Racing. The Detroit TrueTrac is an all gear diff similar to the Torsen. I decided to go with the TrueTrac because it is costing me about $150 less. I'll find out sometime latter if its any good or not.

Quick Reply: Have rear clunk when turning left only