Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Just got 373's, Horrible Whine!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trax
A lot of factors can contribute to this issue...
  1. How long did the break-in period last? Did you start pounding on the gears within the first 100 miles?
  2. Was a solid pinion spacer used, or a crush sleeve? I'm guessing that since the pinion nut backed off, it was probably a crush sleeve.
  3. If a crush sleeve was used, did the shop place a small weld bead on the pinion nut to ensure that it wouldn't back off?
  4. When you were under the car, did you take the cover off to take pics of the gear pattern?
Not sure if you were responging to me or the OP. I did see my pattern change after the 500 mile break in period. And They use a crush sleeve and loctite on the pinon bolt. The odd thing is, I hammered my O.E. 3.42 in his parking lot after he'd just put them in. No whine, no noise. However two different 3.90's and one 4.10 from motive howled like a wolf. I'm starting to believe that it's actually in the gear.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Im Tired Of Re Doing My Gears It Seems Like It Just Gets Worse Every Time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has Any One Got There Gears Done And Not Have A Problem If So Tell Me Where So I Can Take My Car............
Old 04-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Mine had no whine for 200 miles until I punched it and then I got a little whine on coast pinion nut loosened? Whine was less than my stock 2.73. Keep in mind, I have a frame mounted T/A which allowed for my oem 2.73 to whine.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had 2.73 and had motive 3.73 put in. i would say it whines just a tad bit like others have said when decel.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Old thread eh?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

A lot of factors can contribute to this issue...
  1. How long did the break-in period last? Did you start pounding on the gears within the first 100 miles?
  2. Was a solid pinion spacer used, or a crush sleeve? I'm guessing that since the pinion nut backed off, it was probably a crush sleeve.
  3. If a crush sleeve was used, did the shop place a small weld bead on the pinion nut to ensure that it wouldn't back off?
  4. When you were under the car, did you take the cover off to take pics of the gear pattern?
1. are you saying premature rough housing the rear end can actually cause whine after it was previously silent??
2. 10 bolts use crush sleeves
3. weld the pinion nut to what exactly? the shaft of the pinion gear? bc that would ruin the threads.

i installed some 4.10s two weeks ago and set the pinion drag at 30 inch/pounds with a .006 backlash while reusing all the factory shims and after about 200 miles it is dead silent ( Motive stock replacements). this rear had LOUD noise on decel and although the pinion bearings may have been at fault the only bearing to show any wear was one carrier bearing that chewed the **** out of the race. i got some Motive Performance 3.73s going in mine with .007 backlash with 30 inch/pounds of pinion drag, so i will let everyone know how that turns out.

EDIT: just took my first spin with my 3.73s and not one hint of noise. i will be going easy for at least a couple hundred miles......

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 04-24-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
1. are you saying premature rough housing the rear end can actually cause whine after it was previously silent??
That's what I've been told. I'm not sure what the exact process is that happens during break-in. It might be something to do with the contact surfaces of the ring and pinion... but I'm the wrong person to ask about that.

In a nutshell, I think that if gears are installed properly in a street-driven car that never sees the track, you can probably expect them to remain quiet. I think what kills them are wheel hop and hard launches.

2. 10 bolts use crush sleeves
From the factory, yes. But Ratech does make a solid pinion spacer. (See here).

3. weld the pinion nut to what exactly? the shaft of the pinion gear? bc that would ruin the threads.
When Speed Inc. installed the 4.10's in my 10-bolt, they put a single tack weld between the pinion nut and the threads of the pinion. When I grenaded the rearend a few years later, it was easy enough to grind off the weld bead with a quick brush from my grinder. The threads were certainly messed up after that, but I think that's one of the only ways you can really secure the pinion in these cars. It seems like a good hard launch will deflect *something* (I'd guess the pinion), which seems to compress the crush sleeve and screw up the tightness of the nut.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

It seems like a good hard launch will deflect *something* (I'd guess the pinion), which seems to compress the crush sleeve and screw up the tightness of the nut.
well i certainly agree with that. the rear i put 4.10s in was a 100k 10 bolt that was living a quiet peaceful life, then a couple hard launches at the track on street tires is all it took to make it start howling terribly. it howled on decel.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

My motive 3.73s were quiet for about 35 miles, then the pinion nut backed off a smidge. Got a loud whine, limped it home, retightened the nut and now have a slight whine on partial accel (queit on hard accel/decel). Makes a clunking sound under heavy accel in 1st gear only, but I'm pretty sure that's the diff going out (maybe just wheel hop??). Gears looked fine at 500mi.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by seanaugustus
I told my tuner about it and they told me that the motive gears always whine when their installed into the 10 bolt 7.5.

sean
Not true, my motive 4.10's are very quiet.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, I'm posting under my kids name. You are all ******* wrong, no gears make any noise if set up right, and if you tighten a pinion nut that is not loose you will burn up the bearings. I do one rearend a week, and have for 30 years. I have 5 LS1 cars and they are all quiet, 7.5's are the hardest to do, but they can be done right. Anyone that tells you low gears are noisy doesn't know how to set them up properly. The 4.30's in my Firehawk are quieter than the factory 3.42's. My kids 3.73's and 4.10 cars are quiet. If I do a rearend and I can not make it right I do it for free. I'm in St. Louis if you want me to do them correctly for you.
thanks Paul
Old 05-02-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 05MBMLS2
I just picked mine up yesterday after a 3.73 gear install and im in the same boat...The rear is howling extremely loud after letting off the gas....The installer is a very reputable sponser on this site as well. I was expecting a small amount of noise but this is unacceptable...i can hear it over the radio. It sounds like the rear is going to fall out of the car when you let off the gas. After picking it up and driving down the road i turned around and the owner told me "they were hardened gears and they were setup correct and thats normal noise"
Mine do it too..Its does it bigtime at decel,but also when around 20-30 mph..But.. did you go from 2:73 - 3:73..I did,I had to get the thick gears and they said that is why it does it..
Old 05-02-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went from 2.73's to 3.73's as well. After mine were installed they were pretty quiet, for richmonds, but after about 1000 miles it started to howl incredibly loud. I checking it out and the pinion nut backed off. Tightened it up and not its queit on decel.

Quick Reply: Just got 373's, Horrible Whine!