Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Just got 373's, Horrible Whine!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got 373's, Horrible Whine!

Ok guys, i just got back from my local shop, and they put new gm motive 3.73's in my 98 a4 z28, i had them put in a brand new eaton posi and all new bearings, and these gears REALLY whine whenever i let off of the gas! I mean it sounds like an airplane! But its a very reputable, BIG shop, that's actually on this site (keeping name anonymous). They said it was normal, but i don't understand, because people always say if their set up right, their should be no whine! What should i do? Is it normal to have a really loud whine!? Or should i take it elsewhere?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a 3.73 no it should not whine if done right ......i have 4.56's and they whine a little but there bigger gears ....
Old 06-04-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it whines on decel only there is not enough preload on the pinion bearings. You can tourq the pinion nut down until it goes away or have them do it.

Motive and AAM are two different companies by the way. AAM makes GM gears.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem when I had gears put in. When I let off the gas they would whine like no other, it turned out the pinion nut had loosend.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

I just had 4.10 gears installed in my A4 and they have the slightest whine when you are giving it partial throttle at a cruise speed. If you are accelerating you cannot hear it. If you have your foot off the gas you cannot hear it. It also is not loud whatsoever. You can barely hear it. It sounds like a baby supercharger. You really have to listen for it to hear it.

I have Motive Performance gears. I heard the Motive standards are one of the loudest gearsets. However, they should not be obnoxiously loud like you are describing. It sounds like there is a slight problem with your install and i'd have them crack it back open and re-check everything before you continue to drive on it. You may cause some damage to your rear end if you are driving on them when they aren't properly installed.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE]They said it was normal.[QUOTE]

They shot you bullshit. I just had 3.90's installed that were quiet until I punched it at 500 miles. My car is in the air now because I'm getting new ones installed. They had the slightest whine on decel when I went to pick it up and I didn't accept it because I'd just had quiet gears the previous week. If they are a Big Name shop, then they shouldn't shoot you crap. If they don't fix it. Call them out on this board but in the feedback section. We're supposed to be a community to help one another. So, the mods shouldn't band you if it's all true.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Launching!

I just picked mine up yesterday after a 3.73 gear install and im in the same boat...The rear is howling extremely loud after letting off the gas....The installer is a very reputable sponser on this site as well. I was expecting a small amount of noise but this is unacceptable...i can hear it over the radio. It sounds like the rear is going to fall out of the car when you let off the gas. After picking it up and driving down the road i turned around and the owner told me "they were hardened gears and they were setup correct and thats normal noise"
Old 06-04-2008, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

Ive also got the Motive Performance 3.73's. I had an issue with the whine at first but after asking several different people I was reassured that nothing was wrong and it was normal. I told my tuner about it and they told me that the motive gears always whine when their installed into the 10 bolt 7.5.
Mine really isnt whining the bad at deccel. But does whine a little louder around 75mph when pressing the gas.

Also after I went my 500 miles i drained the rearend to check things out and checked the fluid and it was clean as a whistle. NO SHAVINGS

Im using the stock 90 weight but I heard a little thicker gear oil will quite it down some. Im not sure though havent tried it. Any tried it? tap in and let us know if it worked.

sean
Old 06-04-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

AAM next time
Old 06-04-2008, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=RealLiveMD;9495462][QUOTE]They said it was normal.

They shot you bullshit. I just had 3.90's installed that were quiet until I punched it at 500 miles. My car is in the air now because I'm getting new ones installed. They had the slightest whine on decel when I went to pick it up and I didn't accept it because I'd just had quiet gears the previous week. If they are a Big Name shop, then they shouldn't shoot you crap. If they don't fix it. Call them out on this board but in the feedback section. We're supposed to be a community to help one another. So, the mods shouldn't band you if it's all true.
So what are you gonna do then? Let me know.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

torque the pinion nut a 1/4 turn
Old 06-07-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=hasenbonkers;9496981][QUOTE=RealLiveMD;9495462]
They said it was normal.

So what are you gonna do then? Let me know.
My car's still at the shop. The guy closed the shop to go racing. Anyway, he knows I'm not accepting whining gears because I just paid $600 and he had the gears perfect until after the 2nd gear WOT run. Now, unfortunately, I'm paying an additional $400 for a guarantee that he will replace them for free if they whine. I'm getting it in writing. He said that he wouldn't honor it the first time because I bought the gears. This time everything is being bought through the shop. I know he's gotta be getting pissed my rear end has been out 4 times now.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

should NOT whine on decel...it will most likely whine a bit at various rpms..
Old 06-09-2008, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

ok, i brought it back there today, and the called me and said everything was set up right. They told me, when I called them, that they torqued everything to spec, and said theyve done over 1000 gear installs, and i dont doubt them. they think the motive gear was machined wrong and their about to send it back. Has anybody else heard of having gears machined wrong, and have had this happen to you?
Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 PM
FormerVendor

What color box did you buy? Was it blue or orange? As an aftermarket gear we will never garuntee a quite ring and pinion even though most of the time the Performance gears are not a problem. Hard to say without seeing the gear.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like the pinion bearing if its on decel.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hasenbonkers
ok, i brought it back there today, and the called me and said everything was set up right. They told me, when I called them, that they torqued everything to spec, and said theyve done over 1000 gear installs, and i dont doubt them. they think the motive gear was machined wrong and their about to send it back. Has anybody else heard of having gears machined wrong, and have had this happen to you?
I'm on my second set of 3.90's. The first gear I've yet to send back to the manufacturer although you can clearly see how the gear was alligned fine and something moved. The installer says that it had to be the gear because everything is torqued right. Now they're on the second gear. It's clear that the gear is set up right on the drive side, if they move it, then it will become quiet on the coast and whine on the drive. They've been trying to get a call back from motive for 4 days. No luck. It always goes to some guy named Anthony' s voice mail. Anthony hasn't called me back; and, I called over 2 weeks ago. Good luck. I wish that I'd never touched the rear.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Just a heads up to the O/P---alamantia was correct...mine was the pinion nut wasnt torqued properly...you could move the yoke up and down slighly by hand (installed by a sponser in the northeast aka professional)I had to go one full rotation on the nut and it quieted the gears down to an acceptable noise level (alittle whine but bearable) Im going to get in touch with the owner of the shop and let him know that they werent installed properly in the first place.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got my car back today too. The shop had to put the 3.42's back in. He couldn't get it right. He did give me the labor cost back though. I really wish I could have had him check the pinion nut before he removed my 3.90's. I bet it was the same problem.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Launching!

A lot of factors can contribute to this issue...
  1. How long did the break-in period last? Did you start pounding on the gears within the first 100 miles?
  2. Was a solid pinion spacer used, or a crush sleeve? I'm guessing that since the pinion nut backed off, it was probably a crush sleeve.
  3. If a crush sleeve was used, did the shop place a small weld bead on the pinion nut to ensure that it wouldn't back off?
  4. When you were under the car, did you take the cover off to take pics of the gear pattern?

Quick Reply: Just got 373's, Horrible Whine!