Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

After installing Moser 9", pinion angles all wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default After installing Moser 9", pinion angles all wrong

Finished installing my Moser 9" on Friday. Have a UMI chassis mounted adjustable torque arm. Noted that the front of the torque arm which attaches to the chassis....the top mount (the actual torque arm) is rotated about 1" forward from the bottom mount(which attaches to the chassis brace). The torque arm is still adjusted to the "stock length" from when I had the 10-bolt in the car. The driveshaft is touching the bottom of the driveshaft safety loop....and this is with the suspension "loaded" on ramps.

Seems pretty darn far out of alignment for the pinion. Wondering if I have to shorten the whole torque arm to get the chassis mount point parallel w/ the front of the torque arm and them adjust it? That would mean shortening the adjustment rods by about 1inch....which seems like quite a bit.

OK, pics worth a thousand words....so here's what I have:

Pinion angle on torque arm. Apprears to be +1 (1 degree to left of gauge). Pic taken from driver side of car.

Farther view of same pinion measurement to show where I placed the gauge

Pinion angle at driveshaft. Measured +4 degrees (4 degrees to left of zero). Pic taken from driver side of car.

Here's the front mount. Note how it appears to be shifted forward on the torque arm attachment point. Is this ok? Also.....check the lack of clearance between the bottom of the DS loop and the driveshaft. It's like 1/16 inch clearance! Hoping that if I get the angle to -2 there ill be more space. Have UMI subframes coming that also have an attachment point at the chassis brace. Hoping that will drop the loop down for more clearance too.

Again, input appreciated. Haven't made an changes et. Wondering if I should wait till the subframes come in?... Any input appreciated. Hoping to have the car driving by the end of the week

Thanks.

Last edited by Schantin; 07-06-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is your pinion angle sitting right now?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Schantin:
please shoot me a PM when you get an answer, as I may miss the post with the correct answer, I need answer to the mount angle also
thanks, Johnny
Old 07-06-2008, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

also how are you finding your Pinion angle?
Old 07-06-2008, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

When I get back to Williamsburg tonight I'll measure the exact angles + take a pic. Using the pinion angle finder gauge supplied by UMI. Should have those uploaded by dinnertime
Old 07-06-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

After i installed my moser 9" & BMR torque arm, the pinion angle looked way off, but after checking it, came out to -3.5, not bad for an M6 car.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

Took measurements and added pics to add more information. Again, any input appreciated......mainly concerned about the clearance between the driveshaft and the safety loop......
Old 07-06-2008, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

It's way out of adjustment, how spohn told me to adjust mine to get "true pinion angle" was take your measurement of the Driveline (+4) and Subtract the pinion angle (+1) which would make your angle +3, you want anywhere from -1 to -2 MAX if your DD it or just doing street driving.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grn4fbody
It's way out of adjustment, how spohn told me to adjust mine to get "true pinion angle" was take your measurement of the Driveline (+4) and Subtract the pinion angle (+1) which would make your angle +3, you want anywhere from -1 to -2 MAX if your DD it or just doing street driving.
You may get a ton of currect ways to find pinion angle, now even though its showing it too the left, that doesn't make it + or -, because if you stick the angle finder on the other side it'll show it too the right (if you know what i mean) even if it shows either side L or R of the guage & its angled like this \/ that your measureing with both ends pointing towards the ground @ the joint it should be a N angle, if its like this /\ then its a P angle if this makes sence, so if your at 1 & the driveshaft is going up at 4 with this angle \/, it should be a N 3 angle, this is how it was explained to me from BMR, so if this is wrong, then who knows You will have some say that Pinion angle is in relation to the tail shaft of the tranny too, So bottom line when it comes to true pinion angle IMO, if you ask 10 different people on this, you'll get 10 different answers LOL, so who the hell really knows
Old 07-06-2008, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LM97Z
You may get a ton of currect ways to find pinion angle, now even though its showing it too the left, that doesn't make it + or -, because if you stick the angle finder on the other side it'll show it too the right (if you know what i mean) even if it shows either side L or R of the guage & its angled like this \/ that your measureing with both ends pointing towards the ground @ the joint it should be a N angle, if its like this /\ then its a P angle if this makes sence, so if your at 1 & the driveshaft is going up at 4 with this angle \/, it should be a N 3 angle, this is how it was explained to me from BMR, so if this is wrong, then who knows You will have some say that Pinion angle is in relation to the tail shaft of the tranny too, So bottom line when it comes to true pinion angle IMO, if you ask 10 different people on this, you'll get 10 different answers LOL, so who the hell really knows
Yeah I hate that cheap *** gauge, I bought a digital gauge from Dana, which makes it 100 times easier.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was like this as well. I have a Moser 9" with the newer UMI tunnel mounted torque arm and PST driveshaft. What you need to do is shorten the top threaded solid mount on the torque arm bracket all the way into the tube. leave the bottom adjuster alone. install and adjust pinion angle. You probably wanna take your measurements off the yoke instead.. this will fix the way the front pivot is pushed forward. As far as the driveshaft, it will not be a problem since when the car is on the ground and the suspension is compressed, the driveshaft will raise up.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
Mine was like this as well. I have a Moser 9" with the newer UMI tunnel mounted torque arm and PST driveshaft. What you need to do is shorten the top threaded solid mount on the torque arm bracket all the way into the tube. leave the bottom adjuster alone. install and adjust pinion angle. You probably wanna take your measurements off the yoke instead.. this will fix the way the front pivot is pushed forward. As far as the driveshaft, it will not be a problem since when the car is on the ground and the suspension is compressed, the driveshaft will raise up.
Appreciate the info. Will shorten the upper torque arm bolt today Unfortunately in the pic....the suspension IS loaded. Hoping that once the pinion is adjusted the driveshaft will be centered in the loop.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Schantin:
I read the posts,let me know the outcome, thanks for the ride,
(thanks for asking the ?)
Johnny
Old 07-08-2008, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
Shortened the upper shaft like you said. Adjusted the lower shaft after. Drivshaft is perfectly centered in the loop now and the front mounts a lot straighter too. Thanks!

Quick Reply: After installing Moser 9", pinion angles all wrong