Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

motive vs richmond?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motive vs richmond?

Please answer my question, don't have to read the paragraph, it's a horror story.
Is there any difference between quality and performance of Richmond and Motive 4.10s?!?

I bought Richmond 4.11s from the dealership, went to get them installed and....they won't fit right,wrong gears! they call to see why and it's something about the wrong carrier! WTF Since they already started the install they asked if I wanted to put in some motives they had in stock, or put the OEM back in. not wanting to wait another month and pay for 2 installs, I took them and am going to bring the wrong gears back for a refund!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: motive vs richmond?

I have seen this debated several times on here and elsewhere. The consensus seems to be that Motives are the better of the two. Biggest difference is Richmonds have a reputation for being noisy. I can only repeat what I’ve heard but Richmond’s problems are alleged to be quality control when comes to matching the ring and pinion to each other.

I can vouch that my Richmonds were noisy. Proper installation is more important than brand. But I had mine done (and rechecked again) by a top shop and they were still noisy.

And, as Bill Clinton used to say, “I feel your pain.”

I had the exact same problem as you. As you have learned the hard way, if the original factory gears were 2.73 or less, you have a Series 2 carrier. Series 3 is what you got with 3.23 gears. I ordered my gears over the phone from Summitt and told them I had a Series 3. I also told them the stock gears were 3.23. But they sent the wrong ones anyway.

Then, I got the same phone call from the installer that you did – he had everything apart but the new gears won’t fit. I was lucky, though, because the owner of the shop felt sorry me. Even though it tied up his lift for the rest of the day (with work waiting), he was nice enough to give me overnight to see if I could find some the right size. I ended up driving 30 miles to a performance parts place where I paid top dollar. But at least I didn’t get stuck with needing to pay for a second install.

Although Summitt screwed up, they did at least own up to their mistake. I got a full refund including shipping. And, they reimbursed me for the return shipping as well. You should ask for the same -- especially if they advised you on what to order.

As far as performance, you get the same boost regardless of the brand. I don't think one is any better than the other. Noise or not, I was very happy with cutting between .15 and .20 off my times by going from 3.23's to 3.73's.

For my 2 cents, I think you made the right decision. In fact, even though went through major aggravation, the end result is that you are probably better off than you would have been if the Richmonds had fit.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed Richmonds and they are noticeable but not loud.
I used solid pinion spacer so i expect they will maintain this fair noise level even after some hard launches on Hoosiers QTP. Im very satisfied so far and i think with
my setup these 4.10's will be worth more than .2's
Old 08-30-2003, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wilbert told me his horse could talk....but I never expected him to be so informative!
Thanks Mr. Ed
Old 08-30-2003, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem. Hoped it helped.

It also gave me an excuse to vent about both Richmonds’ gear noise AND about Summit’s screw up. Two years later and I’m still annoyed.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've used Richmond before, NEVER again. I got MOTIVES now and I'm satisfied with them. As MR. ED said installation is critical. If done properly they are a good brand. (3:73 BTW)
Old 09-01-2003, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey summit man uhh in the catalog if you read carefully *=3.08and lower carrier **=3.23 and higher carrier so if you have 3.23s+ you should select the gear selection with ** on it if you have2.73s you should select the gear selection with * on it. Also i have richmonds and i love em i cant even hear em.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

I too own a gear swap horror story. I bet mine is longer than yours....lol!

I tried 5 times to get Motives to get dialed in. All got chewed in a week. I switched to Richmonds, and all is quiet after 3 years. I used the same tech, who I beliieve is very competent.

Gear installs are coin flip. One reason is the POS GM rear. The other factor is who sets 'em up.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

I never had Richmond but my Motive performed flawlessly on my 01.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude
I too own a gear swap horror story. I bet mine is longer than yours....lol!

I tried 5 times to get Motives to get dialed in. All got chewed in a week. I switched to Richmonds, and all is quiet after 3 years. I used the same tech, who I beliieve is very competent.

Gear installs are coin flip. One reason is the POS GM rear. The other factor is who sets 'em up.
By chance did it chew up just the drive side or both? I've 3 maybe 4 that have done that. I have a friend that I used to work for that had it happen on two, one a 14 bolt gm the other a ford lightning. All mine were in 7.5's in two f-bodies. WTF OVER!

Quick Reply: motive vs richmond?