Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Putting a fab 9 inch 3 channel into a 4 channel car

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Putting a fab 9 inch 3 channel into a 4 channel car

I bought a Billingsley/Burkhart fabricated 9 inch rear that is a 3 channel and I need to put it into my 4 channel car. I want to keep TCS if possible but don't quite understand what needs to be done. Found this in the FAQ:

"16. Will a 3 channel rear end work in my 4 channel car?

Yes, you can make it work, if you put the axles from your four channel car into the 3 channel rear end and install the sensors into the backing plate."

I'm thinking I can't or don't want to swap out the 9 in axles for the 10 bolt axles in order to have TCS, right?

If I say screw TCS, it's not worth having it after all, what will I have to do to put the 3 channel 9 in. into my 4 channel car?

If I want to keep the TCS what do I need to do/what are parts needed?

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-31-2008, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
I bought a Billingsley/Burkhart fabricated 9 inch rear that is a 3 channel and I need to put it into my 4 channel car. I want to keep TCS if possible but don't quite understand what needs to be done. Found this in the FAQ:

"16. Will a 3 channel rear end work in my 4 channel car?

Yes, you can make it work, if you put the axles from your four channel car into the 3 channel rear end and install the sensors into the backing plate."

I'm thinking I can't or don't want to swap out the 9 in axles for the 10 bolt axles in order to have TCS, right?

If I say screw TCS, it's not worth having it after all, what will I have to do to put the 3 channel 9 in. into my 4 channel car?

If I want to keep the TCS what do I need to do/what are parts needed?

Thanks for the help!
Congratulations. Is it the chromemoly housing?

The answer to your question is in the bold quote. That doesn't mean pull the axles out of a 10 bolt, as they definitely won't fit, since the FAQ seems to be geared toward swapping a 10 bolt for a 10 bolt. It means you need 9" axles made with provisions for 4 channel ABS/TCS. The difference between the 3 channel and 4 channel is the location of the reluctor wheel(s) and sensor(s). 3 channel has the reluctor on the differential behind the ring gear and the sensor is in the center of the housing. 4 channel has reluctor wheels on each axle by the brake mounting plates and the sensors are also mounted there.
So to make a long story short, you need 9" 4 channel axles w/reluctor wheels and the factory sensors mounted on the 9" for the TCS to work. If you don't want TCS and want 3 channel function, I'm not quite sure what you need to do electronics-wise, but it sounds like you already have the right hardware for that.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by supernaturalta
Thanks! Not sure if it's chomemoly, it's lightweight though and good quality from what I've read. It's this one:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=#post9936319

Originally Posted by supernaturalta
If you don't want TCS and want 3 channel function, I'm not quite sure what you need to do electronics-wise, but it sounds like you already have the right hardware for that.
I'm sure I can take care of the dash light with HP Tuners, anybody know what else I need to do to run this 3 channel rear in my 4 channel car?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 PM
8 Second Club

Congrats, but that looks like a regular Moser 9" housing with a Strange Center section....
Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! Not sure if it's chomemoly, it's lightweight though and good quality from what I've read. It's this one:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=#post9936319

I'm sure I can take care of the dash light with HP Tuners, anybody know what else I need to do to run this 3 channel rear in my 4 channel car?
The dash light cannot be turned off through tuning. You can disable the light by removing it from the dash, or paint the bulb black. You can also have the axles machined for the reluctor rings, then you can install the reluctor rings from your old 10 bolt, or you can purchase new reluctor rings. Bob
Old 09-02-2008, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
The dash light cannot be turned off through tuning. You can disable the light by removing it from the dash, or paint the bulb black. You can also have the axles machined for the reluctor rings, then you can install the reluctor rings from your old 10 bolt, or you can purchase new reluctor rings. Bob
Thanks Bob. But if I choose not to have TCS then all I have to worry about is the light?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BDTRAM
Congrats, but that looks like a regular Moser 9" housing with a Strange Center section....
Yeah...I haven't seen the rear end yet....do the words in the FS post not agree with the pictures??
Old 09-02-2008, 07:45 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah...I haven't seen the rear end yet....do the words in the FS post not agree with the pictures??
Yeah, that's not a fabricated 9" housing. For example, here's a picture of Burkhart's version:

http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/s...et=tlx_picet2x

I mean, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using that housing, but it's not a "fabricated" housing as advertised.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:08 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thanks Bob. But if I choose not to have TCS then all I have to worry about is the light?
Yes, your TCS and ABS won't work on neither the front or the back. The light though is the only thing you'll have to worry about. Bob
Old 09-02-2008, 08:00 PM
8 Second Club

No, I just missunderstood it for a minute.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Yes, your TCS and ABS won't work on neither the front or the back. The light though is the only thing you'll have to worry about. Bob
So ABS won't work either plus I guess I'll have two lights on?? I should have researched this a little more
Old 09-03-2008, 04:31 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

So ABS won't work either plus I guess I'll have two lights on?? I should have researched this a little more
Correct.

You would need to have your 9 inch axles machined with provisions for the 4 channel ABS/TCS. The 4 channel has the reluctor wheels on each axle by the brake mounting plates and the sensors are also mounted there. So you would need to have your axles machined and you will need the 4 channel sensors. It can be done but you will have some money in it. Bob
Old 09-03-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Or I could by new axles with the provisions, right? Could I transfer my reluctors wheels and sensors or would I need to buy new ones? Thanks for all the help btw
Old 09-03-2008, 08:25 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Or I could by new axles with the provisions, right? Could I transfer my reluctors wheels and sensors or would I need to buy new ones? Thanks for all the help btw
Yes you can buy new axles with the machining done for reusing your 10 bolts rings. You then reuse your sensors. Bob
Old 10-25-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got the 9 inch installed finally and didn't worry about keeping the ABS and TCS so both lights are on currently.

I thought ABS is disabled BUT when I get on the brakes fairly hard the pedal pulsates as if ABS is still working even though it is not. Is this normal?

Also, I read that with ABS disabled (or disabled by pulling the relay at least) that the bias goes back to 50/50 between the front and the rear instead of 70/30 or whatever it should be. Is this the case with my situation?
Old 10-26-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody know about any of this?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

What do you all normally do with the brakes when installing a 3 channel rear into a 4 channel car? Do nothing except for taping off the lights? ABS delete kit? Is the brake bias 50/50?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Wayyyy old thread i know, but just wondering how it worked out for you? Getting ready to do the same thing.

Quick Reply: Putting a fab 9 inch 3 channel into a 4 channel car