Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech Clutch, torque converter, rear end, axles

Clutch recommendations for SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch recommendations for SS

Tonight at the track my clutch slipped really bad & then either the clutch came apart, or the output shaft on my SS is broken. Either way I need a new clutch. I have a dealer hook up & can probably get it warrantied. Between myself & my wife we probably have around 200 passes on the car in just over 9k miles. Horsepower was anywhere from stock, to around 410 rwhp & now it's about 470 rwhp. Also sometimes it's been sprayed to about 650 rwhp & running in the 10's. When the drive train went it dead hooked on the 20's, no telling what it would have shorted if it wouldn't have broken on the launch.

Video of it idling if in case people don't believe my HP numbers. That is through exhaust, not through a cutout, I am going to go with dual cutouts & a more quiet muffler setup. I already have the cutout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEetM7I-vv8
Old 04-29-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Resident

I may be in luck, GM has issued a TSB on the output shafts breaking on early build cars which mine is. Also read something about GM warranting their clutches for 12k miles due to Master Cylinder sticking problems. I'm having both. I also may have an in with a GM dealer that will turn a blind eye to my mods.

I'll know more tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

i say ls9 clutch. nothing better than to have a reliable factory style clutch that can take a lot of power.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Who sells the LS9 clutch kit? I was going to go dual friction, but if I can go a cheaper route right now, that's what I'm gonna do.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

Katech sells it. It's not cheap
Old 04-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Banned

textrilla dual clutch set up
Old 04-29-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

I've looked at a few dual setup's today, leaning towards one of them.

Just want to do it once, or rebuildable like most dual's are, car is not close to being maxed out & once I get there, it would be nice just to build a motor & boost it big, get the clutch done now & get it right. it's already almost all the rear suspension you can get for it. Will just need motor & turbo kit + a few supporting mods to get an easy 1krwhp.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had really good luck with the SPEC and Ram Twin disk clutches. They are definitely holding up to what we throw at them and still feel very streetable. We have some of those clutches behind 650 and 700+ rwhp Camaro's right now and they are still going strong!!

Quick Reply: Clutch recommendations for SS