Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech Clutch, torque converter, rear end, axles

2010 camaro - 9" - vibration - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 camaro - 9" - vibration - HELP!

Please help me track down this vibration.
NA 454
RPS twin disc clutch
Stage 3 T6060 (output bearing)
1 pc aluminum driveshaft
9” fab’d housing,strange/4.22:1/35 spline wavetrac

The transmission and driveline worked perfectly for 15,000miles street and strip.
After some engine service and full fluid change, I get the car back with a vibration that started at 4000 RPM only under load. I took it to the shop that built and installed the diff and tranny. They removed the axles (these were badly worn) and driveshaft, sent them back for repair /replacement. The axles were replaced, the driveshaft rebalanced. That vibration was gone but a new one appeared. Now the vibration starts at 45 mph and gets worse to the point I don’t want to take it further (80 mph). The vibration is present regardless of gear, clutch in or out. It’s not the motor. The vibration is worse in no load coast and float. At highway speeds, it is a big enough problem I’m concerned about the impact on the driveline. It feels like the rumble strip on the edge of the highway. When turning or changing lanes at highway speeds there is no change (I believe this rules out the hubs). They replaced the driveshaft again (and turned it 180), no change. The current driveshaft has no more than .008” runout and the forward flange has zero runout. The shop doing the work still thinks it’s the driveshaft. Others I have described the issue to point to the diff. The shop doing the work, that built and installed the diff, says it’s not the diff. The axle manufacturer says it can’t be the axles, they are new.
I’ve read a rumble above 20 mph points to carrier bearings. I’ve read that a bent output shaft could do this. The output shaft exhibits no play, runout, and is true 90 deg to the axis. I suppose it could be warped in the middle, but why after all this time could that happen?

Please help with ideas. I have spent a month and 4k chasing this. The shop I’m working with still thinks it’s the driveshaft. Others still think it’s in the diff. I’ve had 3 sets of wheels on the car, no change.

Thanks for your help.

note:
The problem surfaced after the engine builder had the car for a week for engine wiring. I had them change the trans and diff fluid. I got the car back with the vibration, a loud whining coming from the diff, and 2,3,4th gear grinding when cold. I had the fluids changed again, no change.

Quick Reply: 2010 camaro - 9" - vibration - HELP!