Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor trend ranks new camaro 10th place out of 10

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The article did not "suck." You people just lack reading comprehension or should try actually reading the article before commenting about it.

It was an article about two drivers who tested all those cars and reported their opinions about what they felt relative to what they thought a street car should feel like. What they say is in line with every other mag and has little to do with the cars' actual performance.

That article also printed the lowest quarter mile ET I've seen so far, IIRC 12.99. So, whichever of the two drivers got that time is pretty damn good.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
The article did not "suck." You people just lack reading comprehension or should try actually reading the article before commenting about it.

It was an article about two drivers who tested all those cars and reported their opinions about what they felt relative to what they thought a street car should feel like. What they say is in line with every other mag and has little to do with the cars' actual performance.

That article also printed the lowest quarter mile ET I've seen so far, IIRC 12.99. So, whichever of the two drivers got that time is pretty damn good.
Thanks for clarifying the article for everyone and putting it into perspective.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't listen to any of thier opinions.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe

Whats the point of even driving them if they are not going to use the stats towards anything. And giving the Miata a better interior rating then the Caddy. LOL.

Its a bullshit article. They should of just called it "We like these cars just because".
Old 09-11-2009, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Here look at this stupid graph they came up with.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Who here is ever going to want to drive a miata unless it has an LSX anyway,they are for women.Motortrend sux.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

lol @ that bullshit graph/diagram
Old 09-11-2009, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing close to performance is the "fun to drive" factor and i guess driver confidence. Everything is about comfort. Thats all the really sells cars now. No one cares about power any more they want to be comfortable and thats it. And i guess the ZR1 is average in the fun to drive factor.....
Old 09-11-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Holy **** guys, READ THE ARTICLE.
The Camaro didn't rank high because it would understeer too much and felt too big and bulky.
The CTS-V ranked above the ZR1 because the 'V had better steering feel, better balance and was more pinned down. The ZR1 was overpowered in comparison and got nervous at the limits.

And for those who are crying about the Miata: READ THE ARTICLE
Coming into this 10-car battle, no one believed Mazda's Mighty Mouse MX-5 Miata could "beat" Chevrolet's Superman ZR1. The reasoning, like Feldman's, was logical: The ZR1, with its blown 638-horsepower engine, ceramic brakes, and carbon bodywork, was a real car. And a seriously badass one at that. Meanwhile, the Miata, with its measly 167 naturally aspirated ponies and a cute, curvaceous shape that seemingly wants to sing "Beep! Beep!" all day, was not. Grown-up versus child. Real life versus cartoon. And just think about this: 16.4 seconds after the ZR1 crossed the finish line at Laguna Seca-or about as long as it takes to quickly say, "The ZR1 is the greatest Corvette ever," seven times-the rambunctious, little MX-5 zipped past the checkered flag. Too unfair to compare? Yes. Which is why the Miata and ZR1 didn't battle head-to-head, per se. When evaluating this array of sporty cars, we judged a vehicle not so much against one another as we did versus its competitive set.
Sure, Camaro alongside Mustang was a no-brainer, as was CTS-V versus XFR, but the Miata, really in a league of its own in this contest, was rated more so in light of other roadsters (think Solstice, S2000) as opposed to, say, the ZR1. So, in complete sportsmanship, the Miata didn't beat the ZR1 as much as it placed ahead of it by three spots. Lest we forget, it also placed ahead of six other challengers. And here's why:
"The MX-5 was so confidence inspiring," says Pobst, "I felt like I could go flat out in it from the second corner out there-it just made me want to." The ZR1? Not so much.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

the only problem with slow cars is that you just feel like you NEED to drive it fast to make you think you didnt just sit into a piece of ****. when i had a 4 banger mustang (i was young) i was always pushing it...needless to say "pushing it" is what it takes to get to a respectable city speed and dont expect much more. flash forward from that to an LS1 camaro and cars like this let you know and appreciate what a fast car actually can do so you dont need to push it so hard during regular driving.

for anyone who has that motortrend and maybe the past few editions, check and see which auto makers are spending the most money on advertising...there are your winners.

...when geremy clarkson from top gear loves and praises the ZR1 (an american car!) you know its the real deal.

articles like this are completely biased bullshit. when losers read that the miata is rated by motor trend as superior to all those cars it beat, which car do you think those losers are going to look at buying?!

i think what motortrend should do is hire barney the dinosaur and tinkywinky the teletubby to be their opinionated drivers.

who wants to bet that the camry hybrid wouldve come in first if it was in this competition
Old 09-11-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it still doesn't say just how much faster the ZR1 would be ENTERING the curves as compared to the Miata. They leg hump the Miata because it's slow and is barely moving when it is in the curves. Well of course it's gonna feel more confident. My truck can enter a curve faster then the Miata's
Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Although I understand they arent comparing these cars stat by stat...... I would agree that it seems some of these magazines will say whatever the highest bidder wants them to say.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

So in comparison you could say: Put the ZR1 in 4th and drink a Starbucks 20oz (or in my case a Mountain Dew 1lt) while running the entire course at the Miata's speed.

Something about a 167hp I4 that makes me want to yank it and replace it with a 634hp V8, but I don't know what that is?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a bunch of crap!!!My car rides like a BMW but with a lot more power.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

I just think they wanted to be different...every mag including them had said the Camaro SS and the ZR1 were knock-outs...kicking all the competition in the end.
Then these two bozos want to do their driving test. It read to me like they were scared of the ZR1.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So... if the miata was more compared with other roadster types, why was it included in this comparison and not with a roadster comparison? I mean, it just seems pointless
Old 09-13-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Did any of you actually bother to READ the article and not just look at the lap times? They had a professional driver with them judging the cars as well, and were ranking them by best DRIVERS CAR, not best performance. The feel, balance, and control played a huge part in the judging, thats why the 3800lbs Camaro with 20" wheels came last...

Agreed! Also the ZR1 is good but with 600+ HP Traction is limited. You'd THINK the more expensive cars would rank first. I'm glad they gave a realistic review. After all Porsche, there is no substitute!
Old 09-13-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Be interested to see what a Track pack equipped Camaro would run. I personally didnt have a problem with the article. It was an opinion of two drivers, and in their opinions they rated the cars to what they liked and disliked about it. Thats all, dont see what the harm is...its like you guys test driving all the cars and putting the Miata last.....its an opinion.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

What a ridiculous comparison ... talk about apples and oranges.

Kinda like when the BMW 2002 came out in 1968. It was a phenomenal little car and gave you a sense of handling and road feel like no American car could. But to compare it straight across with American musclecars would have been ludicrous - they were completely different animals.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Launching!

MotorTrend is a waste of time. They basically come out and say "the Corvette scares us, and mommy said slow down". These were the guys that could only pull a 14.0 out of an 05 GTO and i wooped that in mine on my first time down the strip with a manual tranny.

Last edited by oshia86; 09-18-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Motor trend ranks new camaro 10th place out of 10