Sponsored by:

GM won't use the Camaro for the Nationwide Series

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:05 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Default GM won't use the Camaro for the Nationwide Series

I really think that GM is missing a great marketing opportunity for the Camaro by not doing a Camaro for the Nationwide Series.

Ford’s new Nationwide Series Mustang also made its on-track debut at Talladega on Monday. The two cars participated in a NASCAR test to determine the size of the tapered spacer required to achieve the speeds they want and also to settle on a rear axle gear ratio. Drivers Colin Braun and Ricky Stenhouse Jr made some laps alone and some drafting laps and both liked the way the car handled. Jeff Burton and Matt Kenseth also had the chance to log some laps in the Mustang and reported that the car drove better than the current nationwide car.

It may not look exactly like a production Mustang but it’s a good looking car and it will help to bring a unique identity to the series.
TALLADEGA, Ala. – Dodge became the second manufacturer to unveil its new NASCAR Nationwide Series entry, taking the wraps off the No. 12 Penske Racing Dodge Challenger for driver Justin Allgaier Friday at Talladega Superspeedway.

Ford unveiled its Mustang earlier this month at Roush Fenway Racing. The Nationwide car of tomorrow will appear in four races in 2010, with full implementation in 2011.

Dodge brought back its Challenger model this year, and Dodge officials said running the “pony car” in the Nationwide Series should help sales of the street version.

“We’re very proud of the look of the car,” said Dave Bailey, senior manager of Dodge motorsports engineering and SRT Body, Interior and Electrical. “It’s great looking. We’ve maximized the brand identity of the vehicle, as well as achieve the aero parity. We feel this is the right opportunity to showcase the Dodge Challenger in this series as the Challenger came back to the market in 2009.”

Dodge and Ford are the only carmakers to use pony cars for its Nationwide cars of tomorrow. GM and Toyota will continue to use the Impala and Camry brands respectively.

“It looks like a race car,” Penske Racing President Tim Cindric said, “but it also really relates to what’s on the streets right now.”

Penske Racing is the only Dodge team in the Nationwide Series that will get factory support, and it is expanding to two cars for 2010, this one for Allgaier and the No. 22 for Brad Keselowski.

Dodge officials said the current Charger will be used in the non-COT races next year.
Attached Thumbnails GM won't use the Camaro for the Nationwide Series-nationwide_series_challenger.jpg   GM won't use the Camaro for the Nationwide Series-nationwide_series_mustang.jpg  
Old 11-03-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed that last night when they showed them @ Daytona.I was like were is the Camaro but there was a Impala instead which is not a pony car.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM is a idiot for not using the Camaro--they havent been able to market there performance car since the IROC series--the Camaro is a great car --i hope GM still builds it 3 of 4 years down the road
Old 11-04-2009, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what are they thinking!!!

Morons!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Dodge and Ford, who have a realistic grasp on the market economy, are the only carmakers to use pony cars for its Nationwide cars of tomorrow. GM and Toyota, who don't, will continue to use the Impala and Camry brands respectively for reasons that cannot logically be explained.
Fixed.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^+1^^

What that mod modded!
Old 11-07-2009, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I would think its because those 2 cars look like ****. The Mustang looks flat out retarded. Maybe, just maybe GM didnt want to ruin the design of the Camaro to smash it into a generic piece of **** shell and put it on the same track with a Camry.

What happens when the Camry beats out the Challenger and Mustang? LOL thats going to look real good. Then if you want to swing it the other way, why would they run a sport car against a econo box? Its like fighting a retard, its a lose lose situation.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In the words of Red Foreman " DUMBASS"

But the challenger looks really good as for the mustang kinda ugly IMO....
Old 11-07-2009, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sway99bird
In the words of Red Foreman " DUMBASS"

But the challenger looks really good as for the mustang kinda ugly IMO....
Your cool.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss1129
I would think its because those 2 cars look like ****. The Mustang looks flat out retarded. Maybe, just maybe GM didnt want to ruin the design of the Camaro to smash it into a generic piece of **** shell and put it on the same track with a Camry.

What happens when the Camry beats out the Challenger and Mustang? LOL thats going to look real good. Then if you want to swing it the other way, why would they run a sport car against a econo box? Its like fighting a retard, its a lose lose situation.
I agree, im glad they didnt put the Camaro in Nascar. Ill be checking out the real racing in Trans Am next year though. Actual Mustangs and Challengers getting beat by actual Camaros, HELL YEAH!
Old 11-07-2009, 04:58 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

That's a good point to bring up.....even if that wasn't their thinking, keeping the Camaro from being conformed to "Shape X" is probably a good thing.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
That's a good point to bring up.....even if that wasn't their thinking, keeping the Camaro from being conformed to "Shape X" is probably a good thing.
Theres a thread about it on Camaro5 and a fbodfather pretty much confirms thats why they didnt go that route.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

i love nascar and an Earnhardt fan for life but nascar and the manufactures lost the " race on sunday by on monday" mindset , camaro would have been badazz
Old 11-07-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that reminds me of the old Papyrus Nascar racing days when everyone would take the front end of their favorite type of car and slap it onto a nascar body
Old 11-08-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Too bad that the Camry is going to drag the Challenger and Mustang into the ground in the Nationwide Series. Thats embarrassing.

Toyota owned the Nationwide series this year and i expect them to do the same next year. Camry > Mustang and Challenger. Its sad to say.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss1129

this would be reason #1. hard to say your stang is badass when its getting pushed around a track by a camry.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:14 AM
13 Second Truck Club

let me start off by saying i not a nascar fan b/c the fact that all the cars look the same i would watch nascar if they used these cars

Quick Reply: GM won't use the Camaro for the Nationwide Series