Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z28 Back with a vengeance!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenp
As I recall, around here, some of the guys working at the Norwood assembly plant knew how to order '69 Camaros with no badging, just bowties, Z28 hoods, deck lid spolier, body colored wheels with baby moons and 60 series tires, 427 engines, and performance gearing. They were bad. I guess they saw what Yenko was doing, IDK.
Those would be COPO "Central offic production order" cars. There were two different engine packages. The iron 427 rated at 425Hp and the all aluminum version rated at 430HP. You could also order the sports car conversion package that came with 15" ralley wheels, a 140mph speedo and a 13/16" front sway bar.

Originally Posted by kenp
There were a bunch of '69 Z28s in the area too. Seemed like more Z28s than SS Camaros. It was a popular car around here and some of the guys made them very competitive at the strip with 4.56 and 4.88 gears
It was a popular package with 20,302 Z/28's built in 69. They were well matched performers and if you knew how to drive/modify them they were pretty quick.. just not the powerhouse the 375HP SS was.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure why people are making a big deal of how things were. The top performing camaro will be called a Z28 and to me that distinguishes it from all the other myriad of SS models out there.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gavspurplez
has anyone ready the dec 2009 motor trend ? confirmation in there......
I feel sorry for you if your source of information is a sorry azzz auto rag like motor trend...there are much better places to find accurate information.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, maybe it'll come from GM's mouth and confirm it soon, as I read it GMHTP mag. They stated it was confirmed, but like SLT200 said they are magazines!

-SS
Old 11-17-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ed Welburn (sp) a GM VP I think that he is in charge of product development announced about 6 weeks ago that the Z28 would go into production in about a years time...it was reported by a number of websites and media outlets ... guess GM finally woke up and saw that every jack leg with a garage and a lift was marketing a supercharged version of their Camaro and they decided to get some of that $$$ too....as usual they are the last one to the party.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, it ought to be nice and pricey, but at least it'll be built!
-SS
Old 11-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Launching!

I knew the 1st day the Z28 was going to be produced -- the same day GM annouced they they WERENT going to make them...
WHY? so they can sell a bunch of Camaro SS @ 422hp....
The GT500 @ 540hp @ $50k GM knows it's time to release the Z28....
....the ablity now to sell a higher priced Camaro....and wait til the dealers gets the Z28, im sure they'll mark up by $20k easy, then the current Camaro SS used prices drop to LOW $20k....I've seen if before and it ALWAYS happens....

Look at Ford's Boss Mustang, Bullet Mustang, and Shelby GT, GM will do the same...
They put a what batches on the Camaro and call it whatever from the sixties era to command a bigger price tag... I read somewhere Yenko wil make a Camaro again too..

These will be all targeted to middle aged guys could not afford one in high school, and now with 0% interest for 48m it's time to buy they're dream car...for $40k, $50k, $60k, $70k...
......but they all lose about 60%++++ in 1st 2 years.....
.......ask anyone who has bought their "collector" GT500 or special Roush Mustangs, resale prices are dropping fast......

me I'll wait abit longer.... already passed on 2008 Roush Trak Pak org MSRP @ $60k, for sale at low $30k, with 6k miles,,,,,

Same game different year.....dont buy a car for any collection purposed you'll lose....
WHY? because car industry know they need to make a better/faster car every year....
Ask anyone you bought a $100k GT500KR acouple of years ago....there's still a few "new" ones for sale a Ford dealers, cant sell for $55k..... or a 1999 Cobra R for $90k or a 2006 Z06 for $95k.....

Ford every year for past 20years produces "the fastest mustang ever"

and I'll keep my 04 CTSV which dealers says isnt worth $18k....
and these prices today, I'll run my car til the engine blows, put in a 500+hp then drive it again til it blows then a 600+hp engine AND still save money comparing to buy a $50k Mustang or $75k Camaro.....

ok I'm off the soap box now....
Old 11-21-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok.... so was i right to say that the "SS" was the top dog??
Old 11-21-2009, 03:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody really cares...
Old 11-21-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Johns00Z28
I'm not sure why people are making a big deal of how things were. The top performing camaro will be called a Z28 and to me that distinguishes it from all the other myriad of SS models out there.
as they say, any chevy can be a ss, only a camaro can be a z28

whats the price gonna be like on them?
Old 11-21-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dragcamaro
as they say, any chevy can be a ss, only a camaro can be a z28

whats the price gonna be like on them?
2...........................much.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They'll be less than a base Corvette, but that's still a pretty good gap between the SS and Vette.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my understanding, GM had thought about putting the LSA motor into a Z28 model 5th Gen. Unfortunately that is when they went for the bailout and ditched the idea until they got out of hot water. That was the original plan from last I heard though. I hope they stick to that same platform, a forged LS3 for modification...

If they stay true to that then I would definitely be getting rid of a car to grab one. I would take that stock roots blower and find out if a KB or Whipple fit
Old 11-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Launching!

geez, not this **** again. z28 was produced solely as a race/track car, ss was a cruiser. simple.

here are some quotes from a thread that went through this crap already.

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
In the 1st gens, the Z28 out handled and was quicker than the SS 396 Camaro. That 302 was underrated, and could rev like a ****. It was also a much lighter engine and vehicle than the SS. The SS Camaros were the luxury cruisers with bigger engine options, the Z28 was all business. No automatic Z28s, no A/C, etc...

Z28 = hardtop only, manual tranny only, beefier swaybars, bigger brakes, tranny/psteering cooler. Basically the "Z06" of the Camaro.
Originally Posted by black_knight
Here's some info on it:
(from Musclecarclub.com)
In December 1966, Chevrolet then quietly released one of the most famous options codes of all time, option Z-28. Unpublicized and unknown by most of the buying public (and most Chevrolet sales people for that matter) and not mentioned in any sales literature, the only way someone could order the Z-28 package was to order a base Camaro with the Z-28 option, mandatory front disc brakes with power assist, and the Muncie 4-speed transmission. You could not order the SS package, automatic transmission, air conditioning, or the convertible. What you got was a unique 302 cid small block (Non-California emission cars were labeled MO while California emission engines were labeled MP) that was created by taking the 327 block and installing the short-stroke 283 crank. Specifically designed to compete in the Club of America Trans Am racing series which placed a 305 cid limit on its entries, the Z-28 was available to the public solely to qualify the car for racing. Advertised horsepower was listed at just 290bhp, which was not very impressive until one hooked it up to a dyno and got actual readings of 360-400 bhp. The Z-28 also came with a competition suspension, broad racing stripes on the hood and trunklid and could be combined with the RS option package. There was no Z-28 badging at all, lest it attract to much attention. The Z-28 proved to be difficult to launch on the street because its high reving engine was lethargic under 4000rpm and worked best when it was shifted at 7500rpm (!). Once it got going, the Z28 was tough to beat and boosted a 140mph top speed and numerous racing victories. Only 602 Z-28s were sold in 1967, making it a truly desirable collectable.
Originally Posted by Z28LS1KID
CAUTION LONG READ

"The Z/28"
The Z28 was created for one purpose, to beat the mustang on the race track. The Z28 was more race car than street car. The way it accelerated, cornered, and stopped made it the perfect car to go after the Mustang.

The Mustang had won the Trans Am Championship in 1966 without any real competition. In 1967 the all new Z28 team of Roger Penske and Mark Donahue entered and won 3 races. Mustang took the title again that year, but the Camaro team now knew how to play the game.

During the next 2 seasons as the Trans Am series became increasingly popular, the Z28 blew everyone else away. Chevy's "little" factory race car dominated the series, holding off a huge effort from 2nd place Ford. And full assaults from Dodge, Plymouth, and AMC.

Meanwhile, out on the streets the Z28 had been discovered. Muscle car fans were delighted to find a Camaro that sold for slightly more than an SS 350. Ran the 1/4 mile within 2 tenths of an SS 396. And went around corners like a Corvette.

In an era where Big Blocks were the norm, it was a throwback, a real sophisticated little small block that ran with the best of them.

The center piece of the Z28 option was the all new 302 smallblock. The 302s bore and stroke of 4.00 inches and 3.00 inches mean't this little engine would be a screamer.

1967 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
302 Cubic Inch Engine
- Bore : 4.00 inches
- Stroke : 3.00 inches
- TRW 11-to-1 pistons
- Forged Rods
- .485-lift solid camshaft
- Holley 780 Carb
- Aluminum Intake Manifold
- 2.02 Heads

The advertised HP was 290 @ 5800rpm. The 302 was actually "rated" at 290hp by Chevrolet. By the time you put headers on, open exhaust and the over the counter camshaft, it would actually make 450-460hp.

All these high performance parts were available for a package price of $358.

Mandatory Z28 Options

- Muncie M-21 4-speed : $184
- Quick-Ratio power steering : $84
- Power Disc Brakes : $100

The Z28s bargain basement price was the deal of the Century. The first Z28s went into production in December 1966. By the end of 1967 they made a total of 602.

Over 200,000 Camaros were sold in 1967. Making it one of Chevys most successful new car introductions ever. Chevy corrected some handling problems that 1967 owners complained about, and made the usual minor trim changes on the 1968 models. In 1968 Chevy replaced the single leaf rear springs w/ much stiffer multi leaf units, and it staggered the rear shocks to help control axle hop on acceleration.

After the strong showing the Penske Camaro had made in '67, the Z28 was starting to get good press. People were starting to talk about this little Camaro in terms once reserved for the Corvette. Chevy decided to make the Z28 a little more "dressy" in '68. "Z/28" identification badges were added, and front and rear spoilers became available this year. The Z's racing stripes were also continued in '68.

Again in '68 the 302 engine was the piece that made it all work. In 1968 the SCCA changed the rules to allow multiple carburetion. In response Chevrolet designed the cross ram two 4 barrel intake manifold. It was more commonly seen on '69 models but it was available in the '68s also.

Now with some seat time in a Z28, Mark Donahue and the Penske team began feeding info back to Chevy engineering on ways to improve the car. Stronger spindles, and a larger front sway bar were developed. And in a move designed to help the racers, Chevy now offered optional 4 wheel disc brakes, which gave the Z28 braking performance equal to the Corvette. According to the SCCA everything on the race car had to be available to the general public. All the camshaft design, exhaust design, all the special parts generated for the Z28 program were as close as your local Chevrolet parts dealer.

From the first green flag of the '68 racing season, the Penske team took no prisoners. They ran away with the series championship winning 10 out of 12 races, and winning 8 of these in a row. GM executives applauded their little factory racer, despite their no racing official policy.

Also in '68, a Z28 won the NHRA Super Stock Championship in a final race between, you guessed it, two Z28s.

From 602 Z28s sold in 1967, to 4,199 sold in 1968, Chevrolet predicted they would sell over 25,000 in 1969. The actual figure would be closer to 20,000 by year end. But this optimism clearly indicates how much this little car had endeared itself to Chevys management in just 2 years. And why not? The Camaro was clearly one of the most popular cars Chevrolet had ever built. And the Z28 was the most exciting Camaro according to people who had driven one.

In its first two years, the Z28 outperformed Chevys most optimistic sales forcasts, wiped the Trans Am tracks clean of Ford products, and cleaned up on the dragstrips, so now what? If your Chevrolet in the late 60s the only answer to that question is to improve it.

In 1969 the car was 2 inches longer and 1 1/2 inches wider. Sharper nose, restyled rear quarters, etc. There were now three Z28 option packages. They ranged from $506 which included the front and rear spoilers, to $758 which added dealer installed headers, to $959 which added the cross ram induction setup to the other options.

A fully optioned out Z28 cost a little over 5k which made it one of the most expensive Camaros you could buy in 1969.

Under the hood very little changed this year, infact there wasnt much left to add except hard core racing parts. There was a new go real fast solid lifter camshaft which provided .493 lift on the intake side and .512 on the exhuast. And a new engine oil cooler. All Z28 engine blocks now had 4 bolt main bearings, and thicker main webs.

In 1970 the Z28 didn't participate in the Trans Am series because Chevrolet no longer backed racing and the Z28 didn't repeat its championship this year. In 1970 at the start of the 2nd gen, the Z28 got the new 350 cubic inch LT-1 rated at 360hp.

As the 70s progessed into the era of unleaded gas, one after another the supercars from the muscle era dropped off the automotive scene. Hp ratings fell to 245hp, and in '72 255hp, but the parts were still good quality parts.

On a few occasions the Z's future looked doubtful, but there have always been enough loyal and dedicated car buyers that insisted America wouldnt be as much fun without the Z28 and thankfully Chevrolet agreed, keeping the Z28 alive through several designs. Each Z28 was a car for its times. And each one was a cut above the ordinary like they always have been. So the Z28 lives today (4th gen) in much the same form as it did in its early years. Still powered by Chevrolets most potent small block engines, corners like a slot car, and could blow the doors off almost anything it comes across.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jeremiah,
My point was the 4th gen camaros are Z28's that you can get the ss option on. As far as my friend not being able to drive . We are at the track every weekend since the seventies when you were at car shows. Don't tell me what cars will ET based on what you hear between dusting your car off. I am a racer and I am telling you the facts. Nobody likes a know it all Jeremiah!!
Old 11-24-2009, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

yepp everyone is forgetting the 70 solid liftered z28 which was probably hotter that the hottest vette of that year. which may have been a 454 as these were the first years of lowered compression.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

any gm can be an SS, even a cobalt
but only a camaro can be a Z28
Old 11-27-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrycecco
I knew the 1st day the Z28 was going to be produced -- the same day GM annouced they they WERENT going to make them...
WHY? so they can sell a bunch of Camaro SS @ 422hp....
The GT500 @ 540hp @ $50k GM knows it's time to release the Z28....
....the ablity now to sell a higher priced Camaro....and wait til the dealers gets the Z28, im sure they'll mark up by $20k easy, then the current Camaro SS used prices drop to LOW $20k....I've seen if before and it ALWAYS happens....

Look at Ford's Boss Mustang, Bullet Mustang, and Shelby GT, GM will do the same...
They put a what batches on the Camaro and call it whatever from the sixties era to command a bigger price tag... I read somewhere Yenko wil make a Camaro again too..

These will be all targeted to middle aged guys could not afford one in high school, and now with 0% interest for 48m it's time to buy they're dream car...for $40k, $50k, $60k, $70k...
......but they all lose about 60%++++ in 1st 2 years.....
.......ask anyone who has bought their "collector" GT500 or special Roush Mustangs, resale prices are dropping fast......

me I'll wait abit longer.... already passed on 2008 Roush Trak Pak org MSRP @ $60k, for sale at low $30k, with 6k miles,,,,,

Same game different year.....dont buy a car for any collection purposed you'll lose....
WHY? because car industry know they need to make a better/faster car every year....
Ask anyone you bought a $100k GT500KR acouple of years ago....there's still a few "new" ones for sale a Ford dealers, cant sell for $55k..... or a 1999 Cobra R for $90k or a 2006 Z06 for $95k.....

Ford every year for past 20years produces "the fastest mustang ever"

and I'll keep my 04 CTSV which dealers says isnt worth $18k....
and these prices today, I'll run my car til the engine blows, put in a 500+hp then drive it again til it blows then a 600+hp engine AND still save money comparing to buy a $50k Mustang or $75k Camaro.....

ok I'm off the soap box now....
I guess you and I are among the few to understand how marketing works...

And we both know our ways around it
Old 11-28-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by m6speed
geez, not this **** again. z28 was produced solely as a race/track car, ss was a cruiser. simple.

here are some quotes from a thread that went through this crap already.
You guys are idiots if you think a 375hp SS was a cruiser. It was basicly a big block version of the Z/28. Yes the Z/28 was created solely for race duities in the SCCA.. who also had a limmit of 305CI. There was no CI limmit on the street or drag strip.

[/QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Nine Ball
In the 1st gens, the Z28 out handled and was quicker than the SS 396 Camaro. That 302 was underrated, and could rev like a ****. It was also a much lighter engine and vehicle than the SS. The SS Camaros were the luxury cruisers with bigger engine options, the Z28 was all business. No automatic Z28s, no A/C, etc..
Z28 = hardtop only, manual tranny only, beefier swaybars, bigger brakes, tranny/psteering cooler. Basically the "Z06" of the Camaro..[/QUOTE]

1. The only reason it handled better was due to less weight on the front end. The L89 aluminum head option shaved 76lbs off the weight of the big block helping matters but still nose heavy.

2. The 375Hp SS was quicker and faster stock Vs. stock than the Z/28. When modded the big block had an even bigger advantage.

3. The 302 as delivered in street trim was not the highly under rated fire breathing monster its been made out to be. this has been debated to death on other forums.

4. Yea, it would rev to the moon which explains why so many of them exploded. They had no low end or mid range, you had to keep them above 5k and shift around 7500 to make any kind of power.

5. The 375Hp L78 or L89 couldnt be ordered with AC "just like the Z/28. 1969 was the first year you could order an auto with a sollid lifter big block. Even the ZL1 could have been ordered with an auto trans. The Z/28 had no low/mid range torque, I can only emagine what a turd it would have been with an auto trans. They would have had to put a stall converter in it from the factory.

6. Both SS and Z/28 shared the same 11/16 sway bar. The COPO 427 with the sports car conversion package was the only car that recieved the larger 13/16 sway bar. Again, the only reason the Z/28 handled better was because it wasnt as nose heavy.

7. Both the Z/28 and 375Hp SS could be ordered with the M20, M21 or M22 manual trans.

8. Both SS and Big block cars shared the same power disc brakes. JL8 four wheel dist was optional on any car reguardless of package. Even six cyl cars were built with the JL8 four wheel disc option.

9. Although not the same due to weight Both SS and Z/28 recieved heavy duity suspensions.

Bottom line is the Z/28 was king of the small block cars until the LT1 was introduced. The LT1 was basicly a stroked version of the 302 with 48 more cubes and used the same heads, cam etc. A 302 Z/28 would out run a 325Hp 396 witch was an economy big block and hold its own with a 350Hp 396. It was an entirely different subject with the 375HP SS though.

Here are the specs for both engines.. like I said, the 375Hp is the big brother to the Z/28.

L78-L89 396/375Hp....
11.01 compression ratio with forged pistons.
4.094" bore and 3.760 stroke 4 bolt mains.
800 cfm dual feed Holley carb on factory aluminum high rise manifold.
Tufftrided forged steel cross drilled crankshaft.
Sollid lifter cam 242/242@50 520/520 lift 114/108 .
Rectanglular large port cylender heads.
L78 used 2.19 intake 1.720 exhaust valves, L89 used 1.840 exhaust and closed chambered aluminum heads and saved 76lbs.

Z/28 302/290Hp....
4.000" bore 3.000" stroke forged tufftrided crank, 4 bolt mains.
11.01 compression ratio with forged pistons.
800 cfm Holley dual feed carb on factory aluminum high rise manifold.
sollid lifter cam 254 @50, .485 lift, 114.
2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust valves-the 186 casting head wasnt the best flowing head. better known for the exhaust flow than intake. for the day they were the better head out there.

As for weight, here is a list for you guys..

Base V8 coupe curb weight is 3135lbs.
Convertible option adds 250lbs
SS package with L78 396/375Hp iron with iron heads adds 281lbs.
SS package with L89 396/375Hp with aluminum heads adds 210lbs.
Z/28 package adds 161lbs due to the 12 bolt rear and other equipement "also shared with the SS optioned cars.

As far as options, any option available on the SS with exeption of air cond "also not available on 375Hp SS" could have been ordered on the Z/28. Either car could have been ordered as a stripped down bare bones race car. Radio delete and even heater delete was available for either car. A lot of the cars that went to Hawaii were heater delete cars. There were probably more stripped down 375Hp cars than there were Z/28's. Most of the 375Hp cars and COPO 427 cars were intended to be driven a 1/4 mile at a time.

The Z/28 could have been ordered with any luxury convenience options "exept AC and auto". One of the 69 Z/28's I owned was an extremely well optioned RS/Z28.

Last edited by Jeremiah; 11-28-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NastySSoo
Jeremiah, I am a racer and I am telling you the facts.
I guarantee I have raced, wrenched on, restored etc more early muscle cars than you or your buddy put together.

Originally Posted by NastySSoo
Nobody likes a know it all Jeremiah!!
I learn new things everyday.. Sounds like you knew all there was to know by 1969.

My knowledge is first hand behind the wheel as well as years of research done while collecting/restoring... Not because my buddy said so.

Quick Reply: Z28 Back with a vengeance!