Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holding Out for 2014 Gen6 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe we could all go in on a group purcahse and buy a new TVR instead. low weight power looks and not everyone has one. bet we can get a discount if we get at least 10 orders....
Old 03-29-2010, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,707 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodimus_Prime
Most of you are stuck living in the past
Says the guy with a 21 year old car.

Anyway, what's wrong with living in the past? Not everything modern is good; now we have a Camaro loaded down with junk like DoD and Onstar - and these are options you can't delete when ordering the car new. That really bothers me. I'd like to have a new Camaro, but I don't want to pay for **** that I don't even like/want/need. The 1SS trim level should allow you to delete more stuff than it does....and DoD never would have been needed if they had kept the weight down in the first place.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Anyway, what's wrong with living in the past? Not everything modern is good; now we have a Camaro loaded down with junk like DoD and Onstar - and these are options you can't delete when ordering the car new. That really bothers me. I'd like to have a new Camaro, but I don't want to pay for **** that I don't even like/want/need. The 1SS trim level should allow you to delete more stuff than it does....and DoD never would have been needed if they had kept the weight down in the first place.
There's a simple answer to that, sack up and buy the manual. I hate DOD as much as you and I don't have to worry about it.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Dark SS
There's a simple answer to that, sack up and buy the manual. I hate DOD as much as you and I don't have to worry about it.
Problem is, I also hate manuals (not the shifting part, the dealing with a clutch part).

This will likely lead me to a C6 as my next car. That way I can get the *real* LS3 with the A6 trans I want, and none of this L99 bullshit - plus the added bonus of a much lighter vehicle.

I will say though, my neighbor has a Summit White SS with orange stripes that looks fantastic. If I was going to get one, that's the exact color combo I'd do it in, but at 1SS trim level and no RS package.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You have no one to blame but uncle sam. Hes the one implementing 37 airbags, 14 door beams and 53 roof reinforcements per car. The mustang will be close to the weight when its 2012 hits.

The only real thing they could do is make a smaller platform car. Remember people also complained about 4th gens when they came out too.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Camaro is just too expensive!
Old 03-29-2010, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Umm what?

2002 Camaro SS $29925

2010 Camaro SS $30995 (base)

8 years later and its still competitive with its old price and 10 times more of a car.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by ss1129
You have no one to blame but uncle sam. Hes the one implementing 37 airbags, 14 door beams and 53 roof reinforcements per car. The mustang will be close to the weight when its 2012 hits.
Agreed. I'm not mad at GM as much as I am at the EPA and government in general. Safety and emissions/MPG requirements have gone too far IMO.

The only real thing they could do is make a smaller platform car.
No thanks, to make it any smaller and still be a 4-seater it would end up looking like ****. I don't mind the smaller vette because they didn't have to design a body around 4 seats, so it looks fine being smaller.

8 years later and its still competitive with its old price
Agreed.

and 10 times more of a car.
That's nothing more than opinion. For some people's goals and preferances, the 4th gen would be the better choice.

I don't feel that either car is superior overall, too many variables for different people....especially when you consider the current massive price difference. I actually find it laughable to see how ignorant people on both sides of the fence can be when stating how much better "their" side is.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Problem is, I also hate manuals (not the shifting part, the dealing with a clutch part).
Why? Have you not used a modern day clutch before?
Personally I wouldn't consider buying a performance car without a manual, kinda defeats the purpose... (no, im not talking about just strait line racing)

No thanks, to make it any smaller and still be a 4-seater it would end up looking like ****. I don't mind the smaller vette because they didn't have to design a body around 4 seats, so it looks fine being smaller.
The Mustang, G35, and BMW 3 series are smaller and lighter and look great IMO.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Why? Have you not used a modern day clutch before?
Personally I wouldn't consider buying a performance car without a manual, kinda defeats the purpose... (no, im not talking about just strait line racing)
I would not consider buying any car with a manual. I live 1 mile from Chicago; meaning constant heavy traffic, stop lights every 1/4 mile, and flat, straight roads. Constant clutch and shifter operation becomes boring and annoying for someone like myself that doesn't care much for it in the first place. 10 years ago I spent an evening driving a friend's '00 M6 Z28 around town....it wasn't what I'd call fun.

I do really enjoy the setup in my Nova though; fully built trans, stall, ratchet shifter. Complete and precise manual control over shifting when I want it, and full auto operation when I don't. Sadly, the modern electronic autos don't usually respond as quickly when shifting manually, but from what I understand the paddle shift option on the LS3 C6 is much improved over the LS2 cars. Not sure how it is on the 5th gen SS, I haven't used one yet. But that's the sort of option I'm looking for.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The Mustang, G35, and BMW 3 series are smaller and lighter and look great IMO.
Mustang does look very nice, but it isn't much shorter than a 5th gen. G35 looks foul (IMO), and the M3 isn't anything I care much for either (domestics only for me).
Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NEW FORUM-Potential Chevys...lol fail.

Anyway what was the R&D costs to retro a SA in a IRS platform??? I live in the Show Me state. I have to see it first. I am not saying there won't be a SA Camaro but I fail to see the relevance. Sounds similar to this
Old 03-30-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not consider buying any car with a manual. I live 1 mile from Chicago; meaning constant heavy traffic, stop lights every 1/4 mile, and flat, straight roads. Constant clutch and shifter operation becomes boring and annoying for someone like myself that doesn't care much for it in the first place. 10 years ago I spent an evening driving a friend's '00 M6 Z28 around town....it wasn't what I'd call fun.

I do really enjoy the setup in my Nova though; fully built trans, stall, ratchet shifter. Complete and precise manual control over shifting when I want it, and full auto operation when I don't. Sadly, the modern electronic autos don't usually respond as quickly when shifting manually, but from what I understand the paddle shift option on the LS3 C6 is much improved over the LS2 cars. Not sure how it is on the 5th gen SS, I haven't used one yet. But that's the sort of option I'm looking for.
I agree with the traffic part, I live a bit further from Chicago and the clutch is really nice on the car. That being said, if I had to drive everyday in traffic it would suck. I say you buy an M6 and swap in a 4L80E with full reverse manual valve body. That would be fun!

Quick Reply: Holding Out for 2014 Gen6 Camaro SS