Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th gen ?s in relation to a 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th gen ?s in relation to a 4th gen

Just wanted to get some real world comparisons between a new Camaro SS and my car your typical LS1 4th gen Heads Cam car. I hope this thread can help me and other 4th gen guys looking into a 5th gen car. I've read the media hype as well as the haters claiming the car too heavy etc etc.

I know I can test drive the car, but I want to hold out until I'm closer to buying.

How does the car ride on 20s all around?

How does the car feel being an IRS vs a full tubular rear suspension torque arm car?

How fast or slow does the LS3 feel vs a LS1 with a medium cam and redone heads?

Whats the ground clearance like when you go over speed bumps or go up steep driveways?

How easy is the M6 to daily drive vs an auto with a 3500 stall? Keep in mind I've never had any real seat time with a manual let alone a manual V8 muscle car.

How good is the Boston Acoustics setup for a factory deal? I blew up my my Monsoon factory stereo with ease.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, it has a 45 sidewall. Same as the 4th gen. Bigger wheels + bigger tires= same sidewall ratio.

How does the car feel being an IRS vs a full tubular rear suspension torque arm car?
Rides a lot better. It doesn't feel all skitish when going over uneven surfaces. The wheels feel planted all the time.

Not sure with cam and heads, but stock the 5th gen feels slower. It's not, but the car is so solid and power is so smooth that you don't feel the violent acceleration as much.

Whats the ground clearance like when you go over speed bumps or go up steep driveways?
Ground clearance is much better on the 5th gen. The wheelbase is longer and the wheels are closer to the corners. Driveways I had to go in on an angle with my 4th gen, I don't even have to slow down for now. Plus when you headers and exhaust it doesn't hang lower like on the 4th gens

How easy is the M6 to daily drive vs an auto with a 3500 stall? Keep in mind I've never had any real seat time with a manual let alone a manual V8 muscle car.
I can't speak for a stalled auto, but my manual is very easy to drive. The clutch and trans are very smooth. An aftermarket shifter is recommended to get rid of the rubberyness, but it's not unbearable.

How good is the Boston Acoustics setup for a factory deal? I blew up my my Monsoon factory stereo with ease.
I think the BA is awesome. You have to play around with the settings because it sounds flat from the factory. As far as the sound system + bluetooth, a 4th gen can't compete.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

A H/C 4th gen will absolutely destroy a stock 5th gen LS3. I had a h/c 98 camaro.
It wouldn't even be close in a race.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll take one of these.

http://www.camaronewsblog.com/2009/1...a-preview-z28/

Old 03-29-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
A H/C 4th gen will absolutely destroy a stock 5th gen LS3. I had a h/c 98 camaro.
Oh yeah. I misunderstood the question and thought be was comparing heads and cam on each car. A heads and cam LS1 is a lot faster than a stock 5th gen, but why would you compare the 2?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know my car by the #s is much faster just curious on the feel of the car. I want to get one just not ready to test drive or talk to dealers yet. Thanks for the insights so far.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

I just sold my cammed 99 and bought a 5th gen....I went back and forth for months over this like you are right now, so I'll be happy to give you my take.

Car ides awesome!

This car rides way better than a Gen 4 car...IRS makes for a very predictable ride.

My 99 ran high 11s...the stock LS3 isn't even close to that number, but the "feel" of the LS3 isn't all that bad. Throw the same mods as the 4th gen and hold onto your hat.

So far so good....no issues here with that. Of course I had none with my lowered 4th gen either.

The 99 was a 3200 stall...an automatic will ALWAYS be easier to DD, esp in traffic.

All the BA system really needs to be top flight is a sub package...but even as is it blows the Monsoon system away.

Overall the 5th gen is a much better all around car. The 4th gen is a way better drag car.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
That's not the best comparison, I know of 4th gens that have run 10's with bolton's & cam only, much less H/C. The 4th gen with the torque arm suspension & live axle is a much better drag car, but the ride quality on the 5th gen is much better & they don't take much to be quick. No interior rattles & other stuff like that that we had issues with on the 4th gens.

I've also upgraded my axles, trailing arms & rear shocks & I'm really starting to like the IRS, it's not too bad to launch & with the mods I've only had wheel hop once in a very long time & that was Friday night, being that I have Hendrix axles, I never got out of it, just drove through the wheel hop & still was only off by about .10 on the bigend.

For a DD the 20's are great, but with the 3.45 gear & tall *** 20's on it, the effective gear ratio really sucks for launching the car. My car picks up .4 easily just by switching from the 305-35-20 Nitto's to 18" C6 wheels with Toyo DR's on them.

The BA system is just fine for a Hotrod, I didn't buy my car for the stereo, I bought it to drive on the weekends & occasionally race.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jamnut you have the setup I want my car to be- 1SS RS M6 polished wheels and BA system.

Huggerorange73 Im really trying to go over all scenarios to get this car and not give up anything. My 99 has a year and 10k on the motor and trans combo. It rides nice considering what it is. My 91 I share with dad and it rides smoother but its seen better days. I just want something newer smoother and overall better.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

It wasnt my comparison. I was just answering a question I had first hand knowledge of.

I have the BA system also. All it would need to be complete is a sub if you like big bass in your music. Other than that it is great.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dark SS
Oh yeah. I misunderstood the question and thought be was comparing heads and cam on each car. A heads and cam LS1 is a lot faster than a stock 5th gen, but why would you compare the 2?
Not that I do much bench racing or anything but I will add this:

The reason to MAYBE compare the two is that there are a PLETHORA of H/C 4th Gens out there and most 5th Gens have $500+ payments for the next 6 years. Not a lot of pissed off modded 5th gens around. Hang out on this website and you may think so, but in your local town, at your local spots, good luck finding someone that has the dough to pay for it AND mod it big. They are out there but rare.

I speak from experience. I'm still shilling out a ton per month for my Goat I bought new and its the reason Im still bolt ons. If it wernt for the payment Id be H/C long ago. So my whole point is, why bother comparing them? So that you know what your getting into and so your feelings arent hurt when you sign up for $500+ per month for the next 6 years and then get toasted at a light by a 4th Gen that a guy paid $8k for and has plenty of extra monthy cash to keep modding it.

My .02
Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CoolAid
Not that I do much bench racing or anything but I will add this:

The reason to MAYBE compare the two is that there are a PLETHORA of H/C 4th Gens out there and most 5th Gens have $500+ payments for the next 6 years. Not a lot of pissed off modded 5th gens around. Hang out on this website and you may think so, but in your local town, at your local spots, good luck finding someone that has the dough to pay for it AND mod it big. They are out there but rare.

I speak from experience. I'm still shilling out a ton per month for my Goat I bought new and its the reason Im still bolt ons. If it wernt for the payment Id be H/C long ago. So my whole point is, why bother comparing them? So that you know what your getting into and so your feelings arent hurt when you sign up for $500+ per month for the next 6 years and then get toasted at a light by a 4th Gen that a guy paid $8k for and has plenty of extra monthy cash to keep modding it.

My .02
I know where your coming from. I am that guy that has a h/c 4th gen that bought the car straight and I have modified for 5 years now. Im comparing them because what I have and what Iwant. I like the 4th gen but also want something fast fun reliable gm thats different than what I have. I am keeping the car. I wasnt trying bench race and I dont street race so I dont care what the next guy has. I wanted insight from others that made the jump I have decided as my next move. I enjoy driving my old slow 3rd gen almost as much because of the change of pace.

Quick Reply: 5th gen ?s in relation to a 4th gen