Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It seems the 2011 Mustang Gt's performance was "Inflated" vs 2010 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 05:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark SS
The GT is an impressive car, especially compared to the car it replaces. I just don't see how it's an automatic lock to embarrass an LS3 SS. Most of you in this thread take it as that I'm not impressed with the 5.0 and that's not the case. I have been saying all along that it's a drivers race and it still is. It's OK for someone to be faster, there are a lot of people out there faster than me. But this is a true battle, not a one sided fight.
It's a "driver's race" like a LS1 fbody and a 03/04 Mach1 is a driver's race.

The 5.0 having an advantage, just like the LS1 had an advantage over the Mach1. I don't see anyone saying the 5.0 is going to SLAUGHTER the 5th gen. But it is slightly faster.

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I'm definitely not trying to add any fuel to the fire, but I think alot of this "fanboyism" surrounding the new 5.0 is merely backfire from there being so many people on this site beforehand that felt that the new 5.0 would never run toe to toe with the LS3 SS.....either stock OR modded.
Not only that, a lot of these people are suddenly either not posting anymore, or acting as if they never said such a thing.
Originally Posted by oshia86
I'm still happy with my GTO.
And so you should be.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

i cant say exactly when im going to make it to bowling green again. my original guess before the car was out was an 8.25 1/8th would be a very good time. so ill have to settle for 1/8th times for now. ill hit the local track in the next few weeks after a little break in time.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ke^in

Not only that, a lot of these people are suddenly either not posting anymore, or acting as if they never said such a thing.

Thats because this thread is just a big ford circle jerk. You guys get one car that runs good and you try to blow your loads all over everyones faces. Look at every GM site right now. They are flooded with mustangs threads and posts. LOL your like little ******* kids who just a new bike for christmas, except 99% of the people posting about the 2011 mustang dont have one and Id say about 95% probably wont buy one new anyways.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

i love my 01 ws6
Old 05-29-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by assasinator
i cant say exactly when im going to make it to bowling green again. my original guess before the car was out was an 8.25 1/8th would be a very good time. so ill have to settle for 1/8th times for now. ill hit the local track in the next few weeks after a little break in time.
I think 8.25 would be EXCELLENT in stock form!

Originally Posted by ss1129
Thats because this thread is just a big ford circle jerk. You guys get one car that runs good and you try to blow your loads all over everyones faces. Look at every GM site right now. They are flooded with mustangs threads and posts. LOL your like little ******* kids who just a new bike for christmas, except 99% of the people posting about the 2011 mustang dont have one and Id say about 95% probably wont buy one new anyways.
Considering the title of the thread... prolly not.

It's tiring, reading all the asinine comments about "one car" ... Honestly, there have been MANY Mustangs along the way which, ENTIRELY STOCK, give any entirely stock F-body more than a good run... Some flatly smokin' the F-body in any of its various stock forms. And then people... like you... will claim that "Ford needed" this or that to win... Fact is, Ford HAD this or that and did win, like it or not. You don't have to like it, but the facts won't change simply because you're a crybaby about them, or because you refuse to admit them. Talk all the trash you want, but anyone here who's been around awhile(and you're not just a kid, so you fit here) can probably remember a version or two of the Mustang which GM hasn't offered an F-body answer for... Stock for stock, no F-body has the claim to quickest or fastest, or best handling pony car ever... Ford owns ALL of those, like it or not. When built, Ford STILL owns all of those, period. It tastes better when you know you're gonna eat it... Crow, that is.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LWCS561
i love my 01 ws6
My favorite... 98-02... I can't see loving a car, but I sure agree with liking that one. They're just so smooth, GM should've used that version and dropped the Camaro instead! Well, that's MY opinion... I've always been partial to the Firebird in any variation. When my dad had 3 of them (67 and 2 68's) all at once, my mom wanted to kill him, saying they couldn't afford 3 of these cars under 5yrs old... And then she DID the unthinkable and SOLD 1 of them when he was away, nearly leading to divorce. She ALSO sold both his Corvairs at the same time... He was ... let's say, rather unhappy... He put her ahead though, and they're still married.

That whole situation left a sour taste in his mouth, and once he sold his last 2, he never again purchased an F-body. He has a 66 Mustang now, but he bought a mess to clean up and never did... It's still just a mess, covered by a tarp under a carport, waiting for help... He preferred his F-bodies, no doubt. He'd NEVER let one sit this long.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss1129
Thats because this thread is just a big ford circle jerk.
No, this thread started out as a "the 5.0 is slow" circle jerk. Once actual numbers came out, the said same people either stopped posting, or is still claiming it's over-rated. There are people that don't even own Fords telling these people they are wrong.
You guys get one car that runs good and you try to blow your loads all over everyones faces.
Are you referring to just the GT? Because Ford has been making fast cars for many many many decades. Faster than the almighty jeebus LS1 fbody even.
Look at every GM site right now. They are flooded with mustangs threads and posts.
A Mustang or Ford owner didn't start this thread you know. Most of them aren't being started by Ford or Mustang owners. I myself started 1 months ago.
LOL your like little ******* kids who just a new bike for christmas, except 99% of the people posting about the 2011 mustang dont have one and Id say about 95% probably wont buy one new anyways.
Projection.

What you should be asking yourself is, why is this bothering you so much. Why is it making you act so hostile. And don't reply saying you're not. Because you are.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LWCS561
i love my 01 ws6
The 01/02 WS6 is an awesome car. All LS1 based fbodies are going to be "classics" that will be talked about for a long long time.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_GkNeD_uIM
Old 05-29-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

I am sure both cars were perfectly stock too

Between the two cars it's a driver's race. The GT having the advantage. If someone in a 5th gen SS beats a 2011 GT it's not going to be a surprise. Just like there have been many races between a stock Mach1 and a stock Ls1 and the Mach1 came out on top even though the LS1 based car had the advantage.

I don't think anyone here is saying the 2011 GT would slaughter a 5th gen. It's just slightly faster.

Just like many of us said it would be. Unlike the thread's topic claims.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take it from that terrible video that the 'Stang won by a tenth or two?
Old 05-29-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Looked like it, but man... that video was on the border of terrible and simply wretched...
Old 05-29-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
I take it from that terrible video that the 'Stang won by a tenth or two?
if thats who i think it is he got under 13.0 with that stock 5.0

correction a 12.73 all stock but i'm not sure of the mph
Old 05-29-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoever posted that vid to Youtube needs to add comments or at least a description. The fact that it's one of the shittiest videos ever wouldn't really matter if there were comments or description. I had to read the comments to get any info.

Here's from the comments: "I ran a 13.09 at 109 Long tube headers....Mustang ran 12.88 at 114 stock on that pass..The Mustang ran a best of 12.73 @ 115 and my Camaro 12.79 @111"

So, in this case in that video, if everything is to be believed, that stock mustang with that driver is quicker than that Camaro with that driver, but the Camaro has long tube headers... That's a pretty strong statement.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Whoever posted that vid to Youtube needs to add comments or at least a description. The fact that it's one of the shittiest videos ever wouldn't really matter if there were comments or description. I had to read the comments to get any info.

Here's from the comments: "I ran a 13.09 at 109 Long tube headers....Mustang ran 12.88 at 114 stock on that pass..The Mustang ran a best of 12.73 @ 115 and my Camaro 12.79 @111"

So, in this case in that video, if everything is to be believed, that stock mustang with that driver is quicker than that Camaro with that driver, but the Camaro has long tube headers... That's a pretty strong statement.
I agree with that... And the one "statement" that I keep seeing is these new Mustang GT's aren't getting slower on average. We're seeing 12's after 12's... The mph is really good too, consistently. I wouldn't be concerned regardless, but I wouldn't expect a low 13 second car to beat one.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

owner is from the turlock/modesto area and the 5.0 was all stock with the tire PSI at 30, from what i've been told
Old 05-30-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well folks now that ive driven mine for a full day i have missed a bunch of shifts. hit the rev limiter a few times. gonna run a friend with a modded 2009 tomorrow morning. i cant afford the **** that up. ill never live it down. the car is harder to shift and find the gates than you might think. im gonna short shift it to take some of the mess ups out. i also forgot to take traction control off in a stupid me vs. silvia. i still whooped his *** but i had to catch him. i felt dumb.

abusing it and powershifting is fine, its the unexpected runs that i miss shifts. i need seat time. starts are easy enough. its the stupid shift gates i need to get used to finding.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

the car is harder to shift and find the gates than you might think. im gonna short shift it to take some of the mess ups out. i also forgot to take traction control off in a stupid me vs. silvia. i still whooped his *** but i had to catch him. i felt dumb.

abusing it and powershifting is fine, its the unexpected runs that i miss shifts. i need seat time. starts are easy enough. its the stupid shift gates i need to get used to finding.
I read that it's not easy to shift, said the gates are too close and you end up 2gears higher than you wanted... Not good. Must be something people can get used to quickly though... Or these cars are REALLY gonna move once people do learn to shift properly.

Seriously, this new GT gets more impressive as more people get them on the road and discuss the quirks as well as the benefits.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

let me describe how close the gates are.

detente's hold the shifter in 3-4 the 1-2 gate is no more than 4-5 mm, thats four to five millimeters to the left. you almost cant see the shifter move to the left to get in first. 5-6 is more normal but its about 1/2" to the right of 3-4. the throws are VERY short. thats fine. the transmission actually shifts faster than any ive driven.

ive raced everything from a 3 speed 454 camaro, srod mustangs, t5 camaros, and driven countless manuals over the years. this is the first one thats difficult to find gears.

go to the dealer and sit in one and you'll see. its gonna take seat time for ANYONE to consistently drive it quick.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

let me describe how close the gates are.

detente's hold the shifter in 3-4 the 1-2 gate is no more than 4-5 mm, thats four to five millimeters to the left. you almost cant see the shifter move to the left to get in first. 5-6 is more normal but its about 1/2" to the right of 3-4. the throws are VERY short. thats fine. the transmission actually shifts faster than any ive driven.

ive raced everything from a 3 speed 454 camaro, srod mustangs, t5 camaros, and driven countless manuals over the years. this is the first one thats difficult to find gears.

go to the dealer and sit in one and you'll see. its gonna take seat time for ANYONE to consistently drive it quick.

Isn't it a T 6060 tranny I wonder if the Shelby KR or the Steeda Tri Ax will fit?

Quick Reply: It seems the 2011 Mustang Gt's performance was "Inflated" vs 2010 Camaro