Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
Wow...there's alot of hate for the 5th gens. I've owned a 3rd gen, two 4th gens, and now a 5th gen. To me, the 5th gen doesn't feel like a giant. It certainly turns more heads than any of the others ever did and is far more refined. I've enjoyed all of my Camaros, but this new one is certainly my favorite so far and I wouldn't go back to a 4th gen. Love it or hate it, sales don't lie.
Sales don't lie but, look how many are on used car lots already. A 4th gen
F-body on the same lot will sell alot faster, not just because of the price either. My opinion is the 5th gen is not really a Camaro, they just used the name for recognition, and not worth the price either. The dashboard looks like a video game screen, they have alot of road noise, as big as they are the back seat is still pretty much useless, you still can't see over the hood and the doors are still too long. IMHO they are overated and need a major update already.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 4th gen has no styling what so ever, unless you get the WS.6 with it's boy racer looks and rediculous wing. I loved the WS.6 when it first came out but it really does nothing for me. To say a 5th gen isn't a Camaro is a joke. The 5th gen is the best Camaro yet. It's a car you can drive and not feel like you were punished. Looks, performance, ride, comfort and value are all in the 5th gens favor.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark SS
The 4th gen has no styling what so ever, unless you get the WS.6 with it's boy racer looks and rediculous wing. I loved the WS.6 when it first came out but it really does nothing for me. To say a 5th gen isn't a Camaro is a joke. The 5th gen is the best Camaro yet. It's a car you can drive and not feel like you were punished. Looks, performance, ride, comfort and value are all in the 5th gens favor.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will stick to my 3rd gens. Thanks
Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Last edited by Dark SS; 02-09-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeSS
I will stick to my 3rd gens. Thanks
Smartass! LOL!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:02 PM
10 Second Club

It's a car you can drive and not feel like you were punished. Looks, performance, ride, comfort and value are all in the 5th gens favor.
Why does it seem like I'm the only one that doesnt think 3rd and 4th gen f bodies ride bad? I've been cross country twice and went on the 2009 Power Tour in '89 20th Anniversary T/A's with no complaints.

The 5th gen does make a nice driver though, if they were a few hundred pounds lighter and had a solid axle I'd consider one. Too bad we'll never have another Trans Am
Old 02-09-2011, 05:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Originally Posted by TTA850
Why does it seem like I'm the only one that doesnt think 3rd and 4th gen f bodies ride bad?
You're not alone, I agree with you. 3rd and 4th gens do a very good job of being what they are supposed to be. They are just not the right car for everyone.

The problem is that too many people expected something from a Camaro which a Camaro was not originally intended to provide (semi-luxury standards), so now we have a Camaro that is fluffed up with provisions and designs for the mainstream public. Whether or not this is good or bad all depends on which side of the fence you're standing.

To say a 5th gen isn't a Camaro is a joke.
I agree. But to say this....

The 4th gen has no styling what so ever
...is also a joke. It's hard to confuse a 4th gen for anything else on the road, which would be an impossible accomplishment for a car with "no styling".

The 5th gen is the best Camaro yet. It's a car you can drive and not feel like you were punished. Looks, performance, ride, comfort and value are all in the 5th gens favor.
This is all your opinion, and much of it is subject to debate. You can't directly compare "value" between a 9+ year old used car and a brand new one (this would be very unfair to the 5th gen, with such a higher price due to it's youth), so no direct comparison can be drawn in that regard between the 4th and 5th gen. Now, you could compare them within their respective categories in their respective eras, in which case the 4th gen is tough to beat; there wasn't a single new car that came marginally close to LS1 performance for similar money at the time. But these days, the 5th gen has to contend with the 5.0 Mustang, which is a dead-heat competitor performance wise, for the same general money. Some could argue that '11+ Mustang GT is a better value than the 5th gen Camaro SS, but that's a MUCH more difficult arguement for the Ford to win when comparing '98-'02 SS vs GT.

Appearence is subjective, so no point in even debating that.

EDIT:

Just wanted to ad, I'm no 5th gen hater. I like all generations of Camaro for various reasons. I have, would and will consider owning a 5th gen, but I still love the 4th gens as well and can see the positives of both.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-09-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

...is also a joke. It's hard to confuse a 4th gen for anything else on the road, which would be an impossible accomplishment for a car with "no styling".
LOL have you not seen a Pontiac Sunfire. Take the spoiler of the T/A and you would have the same rear as a Sunfire. Also The chrysler Sebring had the catfish front end like the camaro.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 4doortypels
i couldnt buy a 5th for the visability... i feel closterphobic in it
I agree
Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

well, im not a hug efan of the seemingly hugeness of them, but they can be damn fast and id get a blacked out stripper model and kick the snot out of it at the track!!!! Mines a pig to though as a vert auto with almost every option u could get on a z in 02, but it will do 11s so **** it huh!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnFrazee02SS
Sales don't lie but, look how many are on used car lots already. A 4th gen
F-body on the same lot will sell alot faster, not just because of the price either. My opinion is the 5th gen is not really a Camaro, they just used the name for recognition, and not worth the price either. The dashboard looks like a video game screen, they have alot of road noise, as big as they are the back seat is still pretty much useless, you still can't see over the hood and the doors are still too long. IMHO they are overated and need a major update already.
Have you ever even ridden in one? A lot of road noise? My god the car rides like a Cadillac. If anything it is almost too refined.

At over 130 mph the car is as smooth as glass. Try 130 mph in a 4th gen and tell me what it sounds like in the cabin LOL (I had one...the windows suck in and it sounds like your in a space shuttle lol.)

I love both cars. I would love to own both...but its not in the cards right now. At times I miss the raw muscle car feeling of my 98. They are a lot different from one another...but are both excellent. I dont mind some of the negatives of the 4th gen...but I can plainly see why the 5th gen is doing so well in comparison to the 4th gen. It is a lot easier to live with on a daily basis for most people. Aside from the visibility problem which you get used to...the car has a very luxury type feel to it. I like that about it...and I also dont like it sometimes. The more I mod the more it is starting to feel like a 4th gen though. Best of both worlds.

As far as appearance...its not even in the same universe. The amount of looks and compliments I get in this car are above and beyond ANY other car I have ever owned by ten fold. That is not why I bought the car....but when I had my 98 I might have gotten 5 or 6 compliments in 3 years. I have gotten that in ONE DAY in my 5th gen. It is almost ridiculous at times.

And for those who are still saying this car doesnt perform...that is asinine.

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 02-09-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

^^^Well, u gotta do more than a nice set of wheels and a billet grill man. my cammed out sexiefied beast has gotten compliments from 5th gen owners on looks and sound, that and i baby the paint although i beat the snot out of it daily! I get about 2 compliments a week, and more normally in the spring and summer! I will own a 5th gen one day, but i fall in love with the rawness and sex appeal of my car atleast once a week! I wont own a 5th gen if it ment i had to give up my 4th gen monster that rattles over every ******* bump and leaks like a waterfall when it rains!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting perspectives in this thread.

I need to go test drive a new 5th gen V8 six speed.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
^^^Well, u gotta do more than a nice set of wheels and a billet grill man. my cammed out sexiefied beast has gotten compliments from 5th gen owners on looks and sound, that and i baby the paint although i beat the snot out of it daily! I get about 2 compliments a week, and more normally in the spring and summer! I will own a 5th gen one day, but i fall in love with the rawness and sex appeal of my car atleast once a week! I wont own a 5th gen if it ment i had to give up my 4th gen monster that rattles over every ******* bump and leaks like a waterfall when it rains!!!!
LOL...you are almost a psychic or something. (do I know you?) My 98 was a black z28 6 speed. It had chrome ZR-1 style rims and a billet grill. It was tinted out and it was also H/C. Had custom true dual exhaust dumped at the rear axle with dynomax bullet mufflers. It was also a stripper with some minor weight reduction and it came in at 3297 with a 1/3 tank of gas. It sounded amazing. Definitely a bit better than my current car because it isnt cammed yet. When it is cammed it will be close. I went with a full muffler this time to quiet it down just a bit...but still orx.

IMO not really much else I could do to it in the looks department. Maybe an SS hood or something. I dont like to go too far from factory where looks are concerned...it can start to look odd. I thought the car looked great...but sadly in most peoples eyes the 4th gen camaro was severely lacking in the looks department especially when stock.

I am having a hard time doing much to my current car because it looked so good to start with. I have some new wheels and I have tinted and lowered it among some other small things. Other than that I probably wont do a whole lot more.

Like I said I do miss some of the things about my 4th gen. I just love camaros all together I suppose. Wish I could own them all...I even miss my old 92 sometimes lol. Still want to do an lsx and 6 speed swap into a 92 z28 someday.

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 02-09-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Have you ever even ridden in one? A lot of road noise? My god the car rides like a Cadillac. If anything it is almost too refined.

At over 130 mph the car is as smooth as glass. Try 130 mph in a 4th gen and tell me what it sounds like in the cabin LOL (I had one...the windows suck in and it sounds like your in a space shuttle lol.)

I love both cars. I would love to own both...but its not in the cards right now. At times I miss the raw muscle car feeling of my 98. They are a lot different from one another...but are both excellent. I dont mind some of the negatives of the 4th gen...but I can plainly see why the 5th gen is doing so well in comparison to the 4th gen. It is a lot easier to live with on a daily basis for most people. Aside from the visibility problem which you get used to...the car has a very luxury type feel to it. I like that about it...and I also dont like it sometimes. The more I mod the more it is starting to feel like a 4th gen though. Best of both worlds.

As far as appearance...its not even in the same universe. The amount of looks and compliments I get in this car are above and beyond ANY other car I have ever owned by ten fold. That is not why I bought the car....but when I had my 98 I might have gotten 5 or 6 compliments in 3 years. I have gotten that in ONE DAY in my 5th gen. It is almost ridiculous at times.

And for those who are still saying this car doesnt perform...that is asinine.
I get compliments almost everyday I drive my car... dont get me wrong I do like the 5th gen camaro but its just not my style. It feels like a boat and its hard to see out of but it is fun to cruise in on a saturday afternoon. 4th gen's obviously dont ride or handle no where near as good as the 5th gen but it feels more like a racecar than the 5th gen. As for performance they are strong but 9 times out of 10 they cant keep up with my camaro when they full bolt ons

Last edited by 98silvermaro; 02-09-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You're not alone, I agree with you. 3rd and 4th gens do a very good job of being what they are supposed to be. They are just not the right car for everyone.

The problem is that too many people expected something from a Camaro which a Camaro was not originally intended to provide (semi-luxury standards), so now we have a Camaro that is fluffed up with provisions and designs for the mainstream public. Whether or not this is good or bad all depends on which side of the fence you're standing.

I agree. But to say this....

This is all your opinion, and much of it is subject to debate. You can't directly compare "value" between a 9+ year old used car and a brand new one (this would be very unfair to the 5th gen, with such a higher price due to it's youth), so no direct comparison can be drawn in that regard between the 4th and 5th gen. Now, you could compare them within their respective categories in their respective eras, in which case the 4th gen is tough to beat; there wasn't a single new car that came marginally close to LS1 performance for similar money at the time. But these days, the 5th gen has to contend with the 5.0 Mustang, which is a dead-heat competitor performance wise, for the same general money. Some could argue that '11+ Mustang GT is a better value than the 5th gen Camaro SS, but that's a MUCH more difficult arguement for the Ford to win when comparing '98-'02 SS vs GT.

Appearence is subjective, so no point in even debating that.

EDIT:

Just wanted to ad, I'm no 5th gen hater. I like all generations of Camaro for various reasons. I have, would and will consider owning a 5th gen, but I still love the 4th gens as well and can see the positives of both.
Some of my comments were made to sound as ridiculous as some of the 4th gen fanboi's here. I have owned 2 3rd and 2 4th gens before my 5th gen and hands down it is my favorite. The 3rd gen IMO had more styling, good or bad. I personally think a 91-92 GTA or T/A looks awesome and has classic styling. As far as 4th gens go, other than a WS.6 (which had it's day, but again IMO, has lost it's wow factor and looks dated) is in desperate need of wheels and hood to look good. The 5th gen looks awesome and is the meanest car on the streets after a drop and a couple small exterior mods (the gold bowtie's are hideous). That being said when I compare the performance, handling, ride comfort and ergonomics the 5th gen is head and shoulders above the 3rd and 4th gen. As it should be, it's a brand new car with 8 years more technology. Obviously not everyone shares my opinion but that's the spice of life.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

I just got wheels and tint on my 2002 Z28 and I get compliments left and right on my car. I've test driven the new Camaro SS and I have to say, I'd rather have a nice used, low-mileage, unmolested 2002 SS with a 6-speed. What really gets to me is that the 5th gen Camaro has a horrendous looking interior that I can't seem to get over.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

hahaha this thread is awesome. As long as everyones happy right, i know my roomate with his lil rsx would never be happy in my "boat", but you couldnt make me trade cars with him for anything as well. As long as people are buying what they want thats about all that matters, i personaly think the retro look is some bullshit fad though. Whatever people are into i love my bird!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,188 Posts

In all seriousness, it's kind of a pointless debate anyway. You'll never get everyone to agree on what looks best, and in my opinion several cars can look equally good in different ways. I don't see the 5th gen as a better looking car than the 4th, but I also don't see it as worse looking. It's just different; and both look tough in their own way. Both also offer a different set of strengths and weaknesses, depending on your personal goals and preferences. The debate factors can change drastically depending on the purpose of the car (race, weekend toy, daily driver, etc).

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-10-2011 at 12:06 AM.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*