Sponsored by:

4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama
and with bolt-ons, 11s isn't out of the question
same with the 4th gen... I think thats why alot of people are bitter over the 5th gen. They got more power but dont perform much better at the track. GM focused and giving a better ride, comfort, lots of options...etc. Alot guys on this site dont care about that ****... they want all out performance. A 5th gen stripper would cure this problem!! I like the car, just think its silly they built a 2 door car on a 4 door platform. From that standpoint the g8 is much more appealing to me for an all around car.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya a G8 is cool if you want a 4 door! Let me tell you this... if this new camaro was not everything it is right now, I would not have a camaro! Coming from 2 4th gens and a C5 vette ( thats were my screen name is from ) if this 5th gen was anything like the 4th gen I would have never sold my old car! I did like my 4th gen but the damn things were rattel traps, everything felt loose, ride was to harsh after I put some suspension on mine, and the thing I hated the most was not having a hood view! My vette was sooo much nicer but insurance was killing me. I wanted something I can drive everyday and still run fast at the track. I dont need to break records or run 9s... point is this car feels like my vette did as far as quality, 4th gens cant even touch the feel of this car, thats fact! Once the price comes down and 5 years go by, all you guys that drive your 4th gens daily will be selling your **** and guess what you will be looking at. As far as a striped out version, that will start happening when these things get old, no one wants to chop up a 30k+ car to race, when yes you could just do that to a 4th gen.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Ya a G8 is cool if you want a 4 door! Let me tell you this... if this new camaro was not everything it is right now, I would not have a camaro! Coming from 2 4th gens and a C5 vette ( thats were my screen name is from ) if this 5th gen was anything like the 4th gen I would have never sold my old car! I did like my 4th gen but the damn things were rattel traps, everything felt loose, ride was to harsh after I put some suspension on mine, and the thing I hated the most was not having a hood view! My vette was sooo much nicer but insurance was killing me. I wanted something I can drive everyday and still run fast at the track. I dont need to break records or run 9s... point is this car feels like my vette did as far as quality, 4th gens cant even touch the feel of this car, thats fact! Once the price comes down and 5 years go by, all you guys that drive your 4th gens daily will be selling your **** and guess what you will be looking at. As far as a striped out version, that will start happening when these things get old, no one wants to chop up a 30k+ car to race, when yes you could just do that to a 4th gen.
5.0 coyote, final answer! Lol, not me but just sayin'

PS. If the ride is too harsh, you aren't in the same market as I am, or a lot of other guys for that matter.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
same with the 4th gen... I think thats why alot of people are bitter over the 5th gen. They got more power but dont perform much better at the track. GM focused and giving a better ride, comfort, lots of options...etc. Alot guys on this site dont care about that ****... they want all out performance. A 5th gen stripper would cure this problem!! I like the car, just think its silly they built a 2 door car on a 4 door platform. From that standpoint the g8 is much more appealing to me for an all around car.
Cam swap and you are in the 11s...(4th gen that is.)
Old 09-16-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by oddwraith
5.0 coyote, final answer! Lol, not me but just sayin'

PS. If the ride is too harsh, you aren't in the same market as I am, or a lot of other guys for that matter.
Are you kidding me dude, not in the same market... ever drive a vette, not a harsh ride but handles like a ****! Harsh and sports car handling does not mean two in the same, spend some time in a 5th gen or vette and you will see what I mean.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Chad very nice T/A by the way Ya I will be in the low 11s when I cam it
Old 09-16-2011, 06:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Nope some of us wont go buy one, because it still starts out at 3900 lbs, too much to remove to make it worth while.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Ya I hope so, trust me I don't want it to get to popular at the track anyway! It's not everyone's cup of tea, I definitely would not buy a G8 but I respect the guys that own them and want to run fast, instead of telling all the reasons I would never buy that car! I think it would be awesome to see one pulling 10s at the track, same reason I want to get my car there one day! It's not going to be a normal thing to see 10 sec 5 th gens rolling around but when you do it's gonna be cool to see! There are a few on camaro5 that are just getting together and they are bad ***!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
Cam swap and you are in the 11s...(4th gen that is.)
I have to disagree... Mike G, blacksilvr02ss, chrs1313, all have been 11's with bolton only ls1's.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

I don't want her, you can have her, she's to fat for me. LOL at the ricer comments, "its to heavy" or "I can take that coin and build a faster 4th gen". Really ? Its a great car and the 4th gen die hard's wouldn't like it no matter what it weighted, ran or cost.
Folks miss out on things in life because they are closed minded and there's a load of that in this thread. Like I said, I had a wonderful cam only mid 11 2000 Z28 and liked it but not loved because it was all compromise. From the floorpans, single exhaust, cowl over the engine, monza torque arm, weak *** rear differential, crap interior, seating position. Only redeeming quality was the LSX motor it had and the 6 speed.
Face it, the 4th gen doesn't even hold a candle to the 5th gen.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Its funny I just found this thread.

I was sitting behind a 5th gen today at a stop light, and I couldnt believe how much bigger the car was then my SS. My car is lowered a good deal, but mine was sitting atleast 6" lower then his. I felt like my head was parallel with his tail lights.

that being said, I have never really liked them. 4th gens have the "aggressive" factor to them and look much more intimidating IMO. The 5th gens are nice, but you will never see me in one. They are too big and I just still cant take them serious.

I had a guy a few months ago pull up next to me at a stop light in a bolt on 5th gen ss. I was just checking out his car minding my own business and he looked over and started laughing shaking his head. This is when I knew what was about to happen, would scar him. Light turned green, he dropped the hammer. I rolled out and then followed his lead and literally went by him like he was standing still. Shut down with nearly a bus length on him. After, I was the one looking at him laughing and he wouldnt even look over.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by glennster
I don't want her, you can have her, she's to fat for me. LOL at the ricer comments, "its to heavy" or "I can take that coin and build a faster 4th gen". Really ? Its a great car and the 4th gen die hard's wouldn't like it no matter what it weighted, ran or cost.
Folks miss out on things in life because they are closed minded and there's a load of that in this thread. Like I said, I had a wonderful cam only mid 11 2000 Z28 and liked it but not loved because it was all compromise. From the floorpans, single exhaust, cowl over the engine, monza torque arm, weak *** rear differential, crap interior, seating position. Only redeeming quality was the LSX motor it had and the 6 speed.
Face it, the 4th gen doesn't even hold a candle to the 5th gen.
Really? Does basically the same at a fraction of the cost of a 5th gen, even with the same or LESS mods....Face it, the 5th gen is FAT and that puts it even with an f-body made 10 or 15 years ago.

You better check your ricer definitions also and while you are at it also check the difference between having an opinion and been close minded. Just point out what, of the facts discussed here about the 5th gen, are NOT true.

I sense a lot of frustration with 5th gen guys around here. I think they expected a different response or attitude towards owning the latest GM creation. Reality is never as one expects. It has been proven that the 4th gen and 5th gen are similar performance wise for all the details put forward here.

If someone needs to face it is you.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I have to disagree... Mike G, blacksilvr02ss, chrs1313, all have been 11's with bolton only ls1's.
I stand corrected, sir.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been proven that the 4th gen and 5th gen are similar performance wise for all the details put forward here.
No, it has been proven that the exceptional 4th gens are similar to the 5th gen norm with a normal person behind the wheel. It's the 4th gen hold outs that make me want to keep my car instead of getting that vette. I am still yet to run into a bolt-on 4th gen that can hang at a stop light race. It's just I have reached the limit where the car needs weight reduction and drive train help. 9" or auto conversion? Problem is that both are way too expensive because the car is still the flavor of the week. I have owned my share of 4th gens and have no desire to own one again. It's either vette or 5th gen.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

To be honest with you, I sold my 6 speed for $2000, and the clutch for $650. A built 4l80 auto and converter cost me $2800. Of course, factor in a trans cooler, dipstick, and trans controller if you dont want to go manual valve body, but it's not really expensive to do the swap if you have the ability and space/means, just time consuming. If anything, it should keep the factory rear alive longer.

One nice thing is I can take the entire motor out from the top in about 30 minutes, and change all 8 plugs in 10. Try doing that in a fourth gen. Just try. These cars are so friendly to work on in comparison its almost embarassing. The radiator/fan harness even disconnects itself as a unit and you dont have to invidually unplug everything. Brilliant. Worth 400 pounds extra? No. But its a fair trade. The 5th gen interior is cavernous compared to the fourth gen, but thats neither good nor bad. Its all around refined, but its a completely different chassis, so what do you expect? I miss my fourth gen, but it isnt really fair to compare the two cars.

Last edited by DietCoke; 09-18-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dark SS
No, it has been proven that the exceptional 4th gens are similar to the 5th gen norm with a normal person behind the wheel. It's the 4th gen hold outs that make me want to keep my car instead of getting that vette. I am still yet to run into a bolt-on 4th gen that can hang at a stop light race. It's just I have reached the limit where the car needs weight reduction and drive train help. 9" or auto conversion? Problem is that both are way too expensive because the car is still the flavor of the week. I have owned my share of 4th gens and have no desire to own one again. It's either vette or 5th gen.
thats because your not running into the right 4th gen. All it takes is a good driver and some sticky tires on it and the outcome you have been having, will be different.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dark SS
Same scenario happened to me and my bolt on TA came on top over a 5th gen SS. Mods of it? at least a catback. Guy didn't want to say anything after the outcome. Similar stories are around here by the handful.

The fact is there, weight hinders them badly and evens out performances of both 5th and 4th. Not my or anybody else's fault...its GM's.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DietCoke
To be honest with you, I sold my 6 speed for $2000, and the clutch for $650. A built 4l80 auto and converter cost me $2800. Of course, factor in a trans cooler, dipstick, and trans controller if you dont want to go manual valve body, but it's not really expensive to do the swap if you have the ability and space/means, just time consuming. If anything, it should keep the factory rear alive longer.

One nice thing is I can take the entire motor out from the top in about 30 minutes, and change all 8 plugs in 10. Try doing that in a fourth gen. Just try. These cars are so friendly to work on in comparison its almost embarassing. The radiator/fan harness even disconnects itself as a unit and you dont have to invidually unplug everything. Brilliant. Worth 400 pounds extra? No. But its a fair trade. The 5th gen interior is cavernous compared to the fourth gen, but thats neither good nor bad. Its all around refined, but its a completely different chassis, so what do you expect? I miss my fourth gen, but it isnt really fair to compare the two cars.
Why it isnt fair? Same class of car, 10 years apart aprox....where is the problem?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Why it isnt fair? Same class of car, 10 years apart aprox....where is the problem?
Same class? Hardly. 5th gen is faster in a line and around a course. Its also a 2dr built on a 4dr chassis. Struts vs a arms, irs vs sra. They are nothing alike besides the fact they both have two doors and a worthless backseat
Old 09-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Teching In

people have taken stalled L99s with a tune, cai, and NO headers and ran 12.30s on DRs...

11s with bolt-ons is VERY MUCH doable for a 5th gen... just as easy if not EASIER than a 4th gen.... like I said, until you start talking 450+whp and traction becomes a huge issue, the 5th gens are actually a good bit faster than the 4th gens... I'm not arguing for the IRS, once you get the IRS to about 450whp, it does start to get hampered in drag racing and the LS1 will catch it and surpass it in the modding game...

but for those of us that want to throw some bolt-ons, a tune, and a cam on a Camaro... well, i'd gladly line a 5th gen up against the 4th gen guys with the same mods, especially with a stall and some DRs

a car being over weight doesn't mean jack **** if you still get the win light

Quick Reply: 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*