Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wise690
The 5th gen cars weigh in around 3800. Yes, that's heavy, we know that. Never heard of a factory 4th gen weighing in at 3200, more like just under 3500.

I wouldn't mind a C6Z myself, but like mentioned by Bama, that is at least a $45k car for a nice one with lower miles. I spent just over $30k on my car out the door.

You mentioned you could have two 5th gens for the kind of money you've put into your 4th gen? Now that is amusing...
The 6 sp cars weigh it at around 3850 stock. Mine was 3895 with 1/4 tank of gas, and its the lighter of the two twims (1ss). Add 60 pounds for the auto cars, and 30 pounds for the 2ss vs the 1ss. It's down to around 3580 empty now though, looking to get it to 3500
Old 09-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. That 429 is gonna be sick. I'm following your build thread over on Camaro5. Seems like everybody goes with some kind of FI so it's nice to see somebody building N/A and going big.

On the 4th gen vs. 5th gen topic, The only time I would prefer a 4th gen is at the drag strip. I'm not at the drag strip every weekend so that doesn't concern me at all to be honest. My car is a DD so it probably won't see anything more than bolt-ons, suspension work, and maybe a decent cam. Having owned both and been in several built 4th gens, I just find it far more enjoyable to drive.

When the C7 is released I'm hoping prices will drop on the C6Z. I would like to have one sitting with the SS in the next 3 years or so. I can definitely agree with you that a C6Z is one badass machine all around.

Oh and this is kind of off topic and a side rant, but I wish the whole connection with Bumblebee and Transformers would just dissapear. That connection is kind of irritating, no matter how much it helped with sales.

Last edited by wise690; 09-10-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetC5
The 5th gen owners you are talking with on this board are enthusiasts!!!! Most people that are not mostly end up with a v6 car, just like the thousands of 4th gens I see old ladys and girls driving around here! Its a massed produced car... it happens
If that's directed towards me I never said you guys weren't im just saying I see mostly V8 models around(literally almost one at every other light) and see very few locals in here and the NJ boards...the few guys i know couldn't even tell you what motor was in the car..Its nice to have a new car and Id take one in a heartbeat but like I said performance wise I don't see any reason to run out and replace the current car that besides mods doesn't cost me a dime...but like everything else to each his own...
Old 09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Nice. That 429 is gonna be sick. I'm following your build thread over on Camaro5. Seems like everybody goes with some kind of FI so it's nice to see somebody building N/A and going big.

On the 4th gen vs. 5th gen topic, The only time I would prefer a 4th gen is at the drag strip. I'm not at the drag strip every weekend so that doesn't concern me at all to be honest. My car is a DD so it probably won't see anything more than bolt-ons, suspension work, and maybe a decent cam. Having owned both and been in several built 4th gens, I just find it far more enjoyable to drive.

When the C7 is released I'm hoping prices will drop on the C6Z. I would like to have one sitting with the SS in the next 3 years or so. I can definitely agree with you that a C6Z is one badass machine all around.

Oh and this is kind of off topic and a side rant, but I wish the whole connection with Bumblebee and Transformers would just dissapear. That connection is kind of irritating, no matter how much it helped with sales.
Big picture man, any draw is good. These cars need to sell to stay alive. 225K units in 2 years is awesome and hope it continues. I'm an old schooler and still have a nice 93 fox coupe in the garage because the modular thing doesn't appeal to me but after having about 25 camaro's I like this one the best.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Yes, the 5th gen is a heavier car, but some of you 4th gen fanboys exaggerate it too much. The 5th gen is not a pickup truck. The weight difference from the 4th gen is about 300 pounds. The 5th gen does have it's downfalls. Visibility isn't great but it's easy to adjust to quickly after driving a little while. It's definitely not fit to be a drag car. That's about the only category I can see where I would pick a 4th gen over 5th.

We all know the reason you guys are over in the 5th gen section anyway is because you secretly want one. But instead you just want to come up with reasons to hate it. Get over yourself.

Getting an LS1 f-body is so original. I don't see those anywhere...
fyi the curb weight on my 1sc z28 in sig is 3380. 3450 is the base curb weight for ls1 f-bodies. Ws6 TA's were 3500.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DietCoke
+1000000000. The only people worse then the chicks and old folks are the V6 enthusiasts.
HAHA, Team LLT!!! What a joke.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

The 6 sp cars weigh it at around 3850 stock. Mine was 3895 with 1/4 tank of gas, and its the lighter of the two twims (1ss). Add 60 pounds for the auto cars, and 30 pounds for the 2ss vs the 1ss. It's down to around 3580 empty now though, looking to get it to 3500
Dang...what all did you remove to get it down to 3580?
Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 AM
10 Second Club

Less then you'd think.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Less then you'd think.
Come on man, spill the beans. I'm looking into getting rid of the curtain and side airbags. I'm hoping to drop at least 60 lbs.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Thats what happens when people want to make an excuse why they dont want something, when they really do! I know that because I used to be that way... when the 4gens came out I hated them, then I woke up and relized I was coming up with ways to not like the car, because really I wanted one and just didnt know it Thats how I ended up with 2 of them LOL! Same happen with the 5th gen when it first hit the road, I was looking at it comming up with reasons why I did not like it... when really I loved the car but I new I could not buy one at the time! Its like defence to keep you from feeling bad LOL! I hate to say it but its true...
No, it really is not true. Sorry.

Originally Posted by BADD SS
Not hardly, with what I have in my ss, I could have two of your cars, sorry, its too heavy. You fifth gen guys are hysterical. It realy has become a "me too" car......
That is more true than the above statement, where dude is "projecting".

Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama
you know my brother made a good point tonight that I haven't mentioned in this topic: the 6-speed auto.. I know LS1 guys wish they had that, for one, imagine the improvement of gas milegae they'd get on the highway... and two you get basically 4 pulling gears out of an automatic, instead of 3 and an overdrive(have pretty much 2 ODs with the 6L80e)...

this is 99% stock with a K&N filter out of a L99, which is the "slower" of the 5th gens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV_5bVYueOw
(on a side note, soon after shooting that video, I discovered how to make my speedometer show up digitally on the DIC, lol)
run starts at 5.5 seconds, hit 100 at the 17 seconds mark... 12 seconds to 100 on a non-prepped surface... and its pretty much a 0-100 pull, I short shifted the **** out of the last shift, lol... was still getting used to the tap shift

a stock 4l60E for comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uce9wGMn4UQ

to 100 its almost a 2 second difference(and the LS1 didn't even hit 100)...... i'm no "internet racer" by any means, its just hard to find a stock LS1 to race, lol... I won't deny that, LS1 f-bodies are some mean *** cars... but we aren't "slow" by any means... because i'll gladly line up with a t-56 Ls1, not just a 4l60e car
The ol' ls1 looks pretty damn good on that vid to me? I guess I don't see what you see

***Bottom line is guys that the fifth gen was a real let down for a lot of us. It is nice, but it should be quicker, and it sure should be lighter (one in the same). Sure, it has more safety and airbags, but that's not what I'm looking for when I'm buying performance imo, and IF I wanted a good ride I'd buy a caddy lol. The powerplant is great, the suspension does what a decent irs should, the weight is about right keeping in mind the new safety regs, but when you put all that together...I'd keep my fourth gen, and I did . New isn't always better, guys on this board of all people should know that and most of them do. It's not about cost (after all what's cost, guts and a pen?), it's about what you want. I was all geared up to buy one of these bad boys but changed my mind when I saw the old lady down the hall with one lol.

I could go ahead and say that "that's what happens when someone drops a whack of cashola on a car, they stand by it till the end..." But that would be similar to the post earlier stating that all us fourth gen guys actually want a fifth gen .

Don't get me all wrong, they are decent cars and pretty impressive in their own right. But they aint what they should have been imo, whereas the coyote 5.0 is! When a 12 year old ls1 fourth gen can damn near run door to door on the street, there is a slight problem imo. Sure they're faster than a fourth gen, but not near fast enough to compel.

*end rant\*
Old 09-12-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Less then you'd think.
Oh my bad, didnt know it was top secret
Old 09-12-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Oh my bad, didnt think it was top secret
LMAO! Exactly what I was thinkin'
Old 09-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

fyi the curb weight on my 1sc z28 in sig is 3380. 3450 is the base curb weight for ls1 f-bodies. Ws6 TA's were 3500.
Thanks for the correction. I was thinking LT1 F-body and got mixed up. My 4th gen was heavier than you guys to begin with, haha.

There's a little bit of weight to be lost just by ditching the factory exhaust, massive 20's, Brembos, and some other misc. stuff. I'll try to dig up some threads later over the subject. It's never going to be as light as a 4th gen. Yeah it's a pig. I wish it were lighter too, 3500 pounds would have been nice and not too much to ask, but the car really is fun and enjoyable to drive even with it's size.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:55 PM
10 Second Club

Oh my bad, didnt know it was top secret
I didn't especially care to type it out.

-6 Airbags (Side Curtain, Seats, dash) (-33 pounds)
Dash removed, lightened, tubular steel loop cut off of cross brace, cross brace lightened, sound deadening removed from backside of FW (-30 lbs)
Removed rear belts and brackets, and sheet metal holding bracket mounts (-20 pounds)
Weld RT-S & tires (-85 pounds)
Headers/X/Dumps at axle for weight (-60 pounds)
Tubular front crash support (-19 pounds)
Tubular rear crash support (-16 pounds)
!Evap (9.7 pounds, not including evap line, which I left in)
!A/C (85 pounds)
!Junk Block Oil Cooler/Heater, unnecessary (-7 pounds)
Lightweight Billet clutch (-12 pounds)
Sound deadening removed from under seats, backseats, trunk, including hood/trunk liner (-8 pounds)
Braille battery (-24 pounds)
Wipers/Wiper Motors (9 pounds)
Windshield Washer Tank + Pump and lines (4 pounds)

422 pounds so far. I've got another 20 pounds in coilovers, and 20 more in lightweight brakes, but those are extremely expensive per pound, so may be a while. Looking inside the car, you cannot tell anything has been removed.

Add an additional 52 pounds for track days, with removal of pass. seat and back seat. They're normally in the car, so I dont count them. That's 474 pounds total. I also suppose I could remove more material behind the dash (there's 300 pounds of **** there on a stock car), but I'm satisfied with what I got out of it for not too much work, given that it is still a very comfortable car, and I enjoy the radio, heater, defroster, etc

Last edited by DietCoke; 09-12-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't especially care to type it out.

-6 Airbags (Side Curtain, Seats, dash) (-33 pounds)
Dash removed, lightened, tubular steel loop cut off of cross brace, cross brace lightened, sound deadening removed from backside of FW (-30 lbs)
Removed rear belts and brackets, and sheet metal holding bracket mounts (-20 pounds)
Weld RT-S & tires (-85 pounds)
Headers/X/Dumps at axle for weight (-60 pounds)
Tubular front crash support (-19 pounds)
Tubular rear crash support (-16 pounds)
!Evap (9.7 pounds, not including evap line, which I left in)
!A/C (85 pounds)
!Junk Block Oil Cooler/Heater, unnecessary (-7 pounds)
Lightweight Billet clutch (-12 pounds)
Sound deadening removed from under seats, backseats, trunk, including hood/trunk liner (-8 pounds)
Braille battery (-24 pounds)
Wipers/Wiper Motors (9 pounds)
Windshield Washer Tank + Pump and lines (4 pounds)

422 pounds so far. I've got another 20 pounds in coilovers, and 20 more in lightweight brakes, but those are extremely expensive per pound, so may be a while. Looking inside the car, you cannot tell anything has been removed.

Add an additional 52 pounds for track days, with removal of pass. seat and back seat. They're normally in the car, so I dont count them. That's 474 pounds total. I also suppose I could remove more material behind the dash (there's 300 pounds of **** there on a stock car), but I'm satisfied with what I got out of it for not too much work, given that it is still a very comfortable car, and I enjoy the radio, heater, defroster, etc
Thanks for postin up that info! Its nice to see that you can take that much weight out of the car yet keep it functional for the most part. It would be awsome if gm produced a 5th gen stripper, I would eventually have to have one lol!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Diet coke you happy with that battery?
Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 AM
10 Second Club

Cheapest weight you can buy. It starts the car fine from the back, so I guess that means it's good :p
Old 09-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oddwraith
No, it really is not true. Sorry.

That is more true than the above statement, where dude is "projecting".

The ol' ls1 looks pretty damn good on that vid to me? I guess I don't see what you see

***Bottom line is guys that the fifth gen was a real let down for a lot of us. It is nice, but it should be quicker, and it sure should be lighter (one in the same). Sure, it has more safety and airbags, but that's not what I'm looking for when I'm buying performance imo, and IF I wanted a good ride I'd buy a caddy lol. The powerplant is great, the suspension does what a decent irs should, the weight is about right keeping in mind the new safety regs, but when you put all that together...I'd keep my fourth gen, and I did . New isn't always better, guys on this board of all people should know that and most of them do. It's not about cost (after all what's cost, guts and a pen?), it's about what you want. I was all geared up to buy one of these bad boys but changed my mind when I saw the old lady down the hall with one lol.

I could go ahead and say that "that's what happens when someone drops a whack of cashola on a car, they stand by it till the end..." But that would be similar to the post earlier stating that all us fourth gen guys actually want a fifth gen .

Don't get me all wrong, they are decent cars and pretty impressive in their own right. But they aint what they should have been imo, whereas the coyote 5.0 is! When a 12 year old ls1 fourth gen can damn near run door to door on the street, there is a slight problem imo. Sure they're faster than a fourth gen, but not near fast enough to compel.

*end rant\*

what I was getting at is the 5th gens are faster than the LS1s stock for stock... most people accept that... however, to hear it told on this board, the 5th gens are overweight and couldn't accelerate out of a wet paper bag...

no one is arguing that they weigh 3800-3900lbs... we know that, doesn't change the fact they hit 60 in under 5 seconds and commonly run in the 12s(when properly driven)... I mean i'm not going to swear by the 12.58(fastest a stock one has gone) or the couple that have ran 12.60s stock... but the fact is, they aren't "slow" from the factory.... and with bolt-ons, 11s isn't out of the question, which isn't going to break any records but GM could have done much worse
Old 09-15-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

Like I said before they wanted vette performance for a camaro price! What we got was a very good daily driving car, great handling and comfort, and the fastest car you can get from GM with the exception of a vette or caddy V... but GM failed All that matters is that you are happy with you have, and I know I am!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

No one said GM failed guys, least I didn't catch it. Of course, "be happy with what you have" is always a good motto.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*