Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what happens when people want to make an excuse why they dont want something, when they really do! I know that because I used to be that way... when the 4gens came out I hated them, then I woke up and relized I was coming up with ways to not like the car, because really I wanted one and just didnt know it Thats how I ended up with 2 of them LOL! Same happen with the 5th gen when it first hit the road, I was looking at it comming up with reasons why I did not like it... when really I loved the car but I new I could not buy one at the time! Its like defence to keep you from feeling bad LOL! I hate to say it but its true...
Old 09-09-2011, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Thats what happens when people want to make an excuse why they dont want something, when they really do! I know that because I used to be that way... when the 4gens came out I hated them, then I woke up and relized I was coming up with ways to not like the car, because really I wanted one and just didnt know it Thats how I ended up with 2 of them LOL! Same happen with the 5th gen when it first hit the road, I was looking at it comming up with reasons why I did not like it... when really I loved the car but I new I could not buy one at the time! Its like defence to keep you from feeling bad LOL! I hate to say it but its true...
Not hardly, with what I have in my ss, I could have two of your cars, sorry, its too heavy. You fifth gen guys are hysterical. It realy has become a "me too" car......
Old 09-09-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BADD SS
Dont get me Wrong, I love the look of the new camaro's but they still did not hit the nail on the head, it's too heavy!!!! You can stuff an LS3 in it but when it weighs the same as a pickup truck, there is a problem. They tried to make a nice riding, quiet, sport/luxury car, not a muscle car.

I can drop or install the headers in my 4th gen in about 10 minutes, And do a cam in 20 in my back yard, but I dont play fair.....
What pick up truck weighs under 4k lbs?

Did my headers on the TA in 4 hours, first try with no experience.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not hardly, with what I have in my ss, I could have two of your cars, sorry, its too heavy. You fifth gen guys are hysterical. It realy has become a "me too" car......
You fail to realize that the Camaro is so much better than 2 f-body cars. The G8 is the best car I ever owned, and it's based on the same chassis and powertrain as the Camaro. No other car comes close in ride, handling, comfort and quality, plus it has the power to back it up.

Ridiculous? Really? Last time I checked the difference is alot more than 300 lbs. I raced my car since day 1, and it was 3612-3622 with me in it and im 210-220 depending. Yes it was stock weight, now its obviously not. Ive been in multiple 5th gens, they just dont feel as fast, both work related and my friends own them too.
I know going fast isn't the only reason you bought your car. If you say it is, I say you're full of it since you can't drive fast all the time! I didn't buy my car to go fast, I bought it because it does everything else so well, plus it's faster than most cars out there in the same price range.

Last edited by RedHotG8; 09-09-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Teching In

you know my brother made a good point tonight that I haven't mentioned in this topic: the 6-speed auto.. I know LS1 guys wish they had that, for one, imagine the improvement of gas milegae they'd get on the highway... and two you get basically 4 pulling gears out of an automatic, instead of 3 and an overdrive(have pretty much 2 ODs with the 6L80e)...

this is 99% stock with a K&N filter out of a L99, which is the "slower" of the 5th gens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV_5bVYueOw
(on a side note, soon after shooting that video, I discovered how to make my speedometer show up digitally on the DIC, lol)
run starts at 5.5 seconds, hit 100 at the 17 seconds mark... 12 seconds to 100 on a non-prepped surface... and its pretty much a 0-100 pull, I short shifted the **** out of the last shift, lol... was still getting used to the tap shift

a stock 4l60E for comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uce9wGMn4UQ

to 100 its almost a 2 second difference(and the LS1 didn't even hit 100)...... i'm no "internet racer" by any means, its just hard to find a stock LS1 to race, lol... I won't deny that, LS1 f-bodies are some mean *** cars... but we aren't "slow" by any means... because i'll gladly line up with a t-56 Ls1, not just a 4l60e car

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; 09-10-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

It really has become a me too car, there everywhere...I know a few guys myself that aren't even enthusiasts that have no intentions on even changing out the air filter that now own a fifth gen because there cool lol. Now there's nothing wrong w/ that its just not me..As for the comparison between the two, the 5th is by far the better overall car. I could afford one but for the 5 miles a day i commute I don't want the payment and the difference in performance isn't enough to make the change...I rather put the money into my $3500 Z28 that's already paid off.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Regular

The 5th gen owners you are talking with on this board are enthusiasts!!!! Most people that are not mostly end up with a v6 car, just like the thousands of 4th gens I see old ladys and girls driving around here! Its a massed produced car... it happens
Old 09-10-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

We have a L99 car in the family-its slow as hell. Convert to LS3 or just a tune makes a big difference.

The 5th gen is a much superior car over a very old design. Only thing I don't like is visibility when driving it.

Unlike the older car it not a great car to drag race,feels slow hence a lot of disappointment from 4th gen owners.

The car is selling like hotcakes though and thats what counts. The 4th gen despite being a better peformance car than the Mustang can never brag about that
Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, the 5th gen is a heavier car, but some of you 4th gen fanboys exaggerate it too much. The 5th gen is not a pickup truck. The weight difference from the 4th gen is about 300 pounds. The 5th gen does have it's downfalls. Visibility isn't great but it's easy to adjust to quickly after driving a little while. It's definitely not fit to be a drag car. That's about the only category I can see where I would pick a 4th gen over 5th.

We all know the reason you guys are over in the 5th gen section anyway is because you secretly want one. But instead you just want to come up with reasons to hate it. Get over yourself.

Getting an LS1 f-body is so original. I don't see those anywhere...

Last edited by wise690; 09-10-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Read up on the ZL1-numbers are out. Less weight too!!!

http://www.camaro5.com/
Old 09-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sweetC5
The 5th gen owners you are talking with on this board are enthusiasts!!!! Most people that are not mostly end up with a v6 car, just like the thousands of 4th gens I see old ladys and girls driving around here! Its a massed produced car... it happens
that is the reason I am on this site... MOST of the Gen V sites are guys arguing over which stripe set looks the best, lol

I got love for the 4th gen... my brother has a '99 WS6 TA that I absolutely want none of... he is a member on this site but rarely posts... I wanted a LS1 bird so bad back when I couldn't afford one, i'm a little older now, actually have some income and was like everyone here when the new Camaro came out... against it, it took me driving about 3 different new Camaros before they finally grew on me...

i've already pointed out the flaws of bad visibility and low roofline and for some people, that might be a deal breaker... but a 4th gen isn't known for its visibility and at 6' the roofline isn't an issue for me, now the side windows being as small as they are can be, especially at an ATM

someone said something about the L99s being sluggish... from a roll, they especially can be in their stock form... with a tune: whole new animal, the transmission tune is where 95% of the gains are to be found in getting a L99 tuned, the 10-15whp is nice but the gains of removing torque management, the shift points, etc. in the transmission are the reason the car is MUCH quicker with a tune than stock, you get better gains out of a tuned L99 than you do a tuned LS3(as far as on the drag strip, maybe not in whp, but unless you are building a dyno queen, who cares)... its also nice to ditch DOD and AFM with a tuned L99, especially for the guys with an exhaust on their L99, the AFM(Active Fuel Management) makes your aftermarket exhaust sound like **** unless it has j-pipes(like the solo exhaust)... A6s with a tune and a CAI have gone 12.60s, with a stall and headers... they'll run 12.20-12.30s... with skinnies and some sticky tires, 11s isn't out of the question, yes 5.0 guys, bolt-on only

where the LS1 gains on the 5th gen is AFTER high 11s... these cars are not designed to be drag cars, you can easily get high 11s out of them.... things get a lot harder after that... for most people, that is more than enough

from what I am seeing right now, MOST Gen Vs won't see high 11s/low 12s bolt-on only... not because they can't because most owners don't care

when the cars get a little older and more enthusiast start buying them to build, you'll see some things change... there is already starting to be more and more nitrous cars running mid 10s with stock weight

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; 09-10-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wise690
Yes, the 5th gen is a heavier car, but some of you 4th gen fanboys exaggerate it too much. The 5th gen is not a pickup truck. The weight difference from the 4th gen is about 300 pounds. The 5th gen does have it's downfalls. Visibility isn't great but it's easy to adjust to quickly after driving a little while. It's definitely not fit to be a drag car. That's about the only category I can see where I would pick a 4th gen over 5th.

We all know the reason you guys are over in the 5th gen section anyway is because you secretly want one. But instead you just want to come up with reasons to hate it. Get over yourself.

Getting an LS1 f-body is so original. I don't see those anywhere...

300lbs * 2 is more like it, 5th gens are not 3600-3700 lbs. And the only reason im in this swction, is when you scroll down the maun forum page, it comes up 4th gen vs 5th gen.... So I ducked in and then got rather amused at you guys!

No, I truely do not want your precious camaro's, I would much rather have a c6 zo6 if I were to sell my SS. That is a car that "handles great". Doesnt weigh alot, and looks stunning. oh, and its got about 2+ seconds on you in the 1/4.... Bone stock.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Teching In

oh and used with 45,000 miles it still cost about $15,000 more not to mention doubling the insurance cost, maintenance costs, etc.

.....you forgot those points in your rant

"before i'd buy your precious C6 zo6, i'd have a $250,000 Ferrari 458"... that's about the same comparison

not to mention that the reason I chose this car over a used C6 is because a vette is a great car: so long at it isn't your primary car... no carrying capacity with them, can only carry one other person... that is great if its a car you carry out on Saturday night... and that is about it

for the people who have one as a weekend warrior, they are awesome cars... for everyone else, its a pretty terrible buy

don't worry, I feel the same way about a Mazda Miata, a Honda S2000, or any 2-seater, not just a vette thing...

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; 09-10-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

300lbs * 2 is more like it, 5th gens are not 3600-3700 lbs. And the only reason im in this swction, is when you scroll down the maun forum page, it comes up 4th gen vs 5th gen.... So I ducked in and then got rather amused at you guys!

No, I truely do not want your precious camaro's, I would much rather have a c6 zo6 if I were to sell my SS. That is a car that "handles great". Doesnt weigh alot, and looks stunning. oh, and its got about 2+ seconds on you in the 1/4.... Bone stock.
The 5th gen cars weigh in around 3800. Yes, that's heavy, we know that. Never heard of a factory 4th gen weighing in at 3200, more like just under 3500.

I wouldn't mind a C6Z myself, but like mentioned by Bama, that is at least a $45k car for a nice one with lower miles. I spent just over $30k on my car out the door.

You mentioned you could have two 5th gens for the kind of money you've put into your 4th gen? Now that is amusing...
Old 09-10-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Agreed, except I dont care for Vettes either, LOL!!!

Its funny just how hard these 5th gen guys try to force the issue. I find funny also what lurks in their mind of someone who says that the ones who don't like them is because we can not afford it....that's really the argument a kindergarten kid would come up with.

There are guys here who have invested way north of $50,000 in their 4th gens., please do not tell me those guys or me cannot afford your car.... Believe me I could, I chose not to. In fact I wouldn't change my TA for ANY 5th gen! or a Vette... (*gasp*!, how can that be??!!). Well, it is.

If your frustrated because everyone and their sister has one do not despair...with time the 5th will no longer be the flavor of the month. Most will finally end in the hands of real car enthusiasts, not with idiots who want to look cool. (Im not implying any of guys here to be these idiots).
Old 09-10-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You forgot to mention that the Corvette costs a lot more, so it should be a better car. The Camaro and the G8 are a lot of car for what they cost.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Default 4th Vert and 5th Vert comparison

Ok I stirred this subject up on the 35th SSLE forum a few days ago..
I own both and the 4th Gen feels faster...I know it is not...

2011 Vert to 2002 LE Vert 505 lbs-huge weight difference...huge..
2011 Vert 3.27 rear vs 2002 Vert 3.73
2011 Vert 400 hp vs 2002 Vert 350 hp
Forget about 20" vs 17" wheels
One day Ill run the wife... Yea, that will happen...

Or better yet - anyone in Houston-Cypress TX wanna try?
I'll bring which ever car for comparison..20mph roll..
Attached Thumbnails 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*-reds-side-side.jpg  
Old 09-10-2011, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wise690
The 5th gen cars weigh in around 3800. Yes, that's heavy, we know that. Never heard of a factory 4th gen weighing in at 3200, more like just under 3500.

I wouldn't mind a C6Z myself, but like mentioned by Bama, that is at least a $45k car for a nice one with lower miles. I spent just over $30k on my car out the door.

You mentioned you could have two 5th gens for the kind of money you've put into your 4th gen? Now that is amusing...
My car was loaded, SS, leather, 12 disc, traction control, t-tops, etc and weighed an honest 3400+/- 10 lbs with the spare AND jack. A stripped down z28, cloth, roll up windows, etc weighs around 3300 flat. My friends 2010 Camaro is 3920. So thats 520 lbs more than my car, and 620 lbs more than a stripper z28. BIG FREAKING DIFFERENCE. Again, these are actual numbers, not guesstimates. My car now weighs 2840, It's scaled at every race.

Why is that amusing? Because it would wipe the floor with your Camaro??? It's a race car, look under the hood. The heads alone were $3700, it revs to 8000 rpm, the parts on it are the best you can get. The rear was $4400, built trans, bulletproof belhousing, Coilovers on all four corners, custom chrome moly suspension, not some crap you buy off the shelf. It's also a little 366 that puts down 540 rwhp n/a on a mustang dyno..... You gotta pay to play, I got serious with this car 5 years ago so Im married to it, it's not worth buying a vette, and losing all the parts I cant transfer. Maybe if it bores me i'll sell it, but not for a fifth gen, or two of them for that matter...
Old 09-10-2011, 05:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chaman
Agreed, except I dont care for Vettes either, LOL!!!

Its funny just how hard these 5th gen guys try to force the issue. I find funny also what lurks in their mind of someone who says that the ones who don't like them is because we can not afford it....that's really the argument a kindergarten kid would come up with.

There are guys here who have invested way north of $50,000 in their 4th gens., please do not tell me those guys or me cannot afford your car.... Believe me I could, I chose not to. In fact I wouldn't change my TA for ANY 5th gen! or a Vette... (*gasp*!, how can that be??!!). Well, it is.

If your frustrated because everyone and their sister has one do not despair...with time the 5th will no longer be the flavor of the month. Most will finally end in the hands of real car enthusiasts, not with idiots who want to look cool. (Im not implying any of guys here to be these idiots).
AMEN, but I still like c6 zo6's!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetc5
the 5th gen owners you are talking with on this board are enthusiasts!!!! Most people that are not mostly end up with a v6 car, just like the thousands of 4th gens i see old ladys and girls driving around here! Its a massed produced car... It happens
+1000000000. The only people worse then the chicks and old folks are the V6 enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*