Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More fuel?

I love my 5th gen for different reasons than I loved my 4th gen. I also really liked my LS2 GTO. All three of the cars have had different appeal for me. I also had an 06 Impala SS (FWD, Auto, slow compared to the others....) I do not consider myself a bandwagon guy. I'm one of the early VIN number pre-order guys, that simply loved his 4th Gen Z28 and missed it. I am going through quite the heartache right now, because I have the ability to get the ZL1, but I really love my SS. I waited a year to drive it, now all i want is that 550+ hp ZL1. Hate waisting money, but damn that ZL1 is hard not to love.

I miss mine my 4th Gen so much that I have already found it. I will be buying it back from the owner soon.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied
I honestly could care less, but I'll ask anyway. If all of the commenting 4th gen owners in this thread hate the 5th gen so much, why are you in this section anyway?
They're all closet 5th gen lovers. They all watch Transformers every week and have 5th posters all over their walls.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
man, what was your set up on that 73! thats sweet and might be the nicest one of them all!

that split bumper really sets it off.

The 99 was his nicest!!
Old 03-05-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ss497
The 99 was his nicest!!
actually youre right.

i see what you did.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Do you guys know the hub to hub width difference.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chaman
Its a backward step in design what GM did to these 5th gens. Just look the at stealthy, refined look that 4th gen Camaro has and compare to the fat looking, badly proportioned, brick the 5th gen Camaro is. It almost feels like the 4th gen is the new, improved model!

I really think these new Camaros are a sore sight from a design point of view.
even though i own both i feel the 4th gens suck in every category from the front and rear overhang, cab forward design, motor halfway under mile long dashboard, crap hatchback design, funky fiberglass doors, torque arm suspension, i could go on all day. on the other hand the 5th gen is a far more comfortable car to drive, work on or simply enjoy cause it doesnt sound like a maracca when you go over a bumpy road.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
even though i own both i feel the 4th gens suck in every category from the front and rear overhang, cab forward design, motor halfway under mile long dashboard, crap hatchback design, funky fiberglass doors, torque arm suspension, i could go on all day. on the other hand the 5th gen is a far more comfortable car to drive, work on or simply enjoy cause it doesnt sound like a maracca when you go over a bumpy road.
Of course they dont sound. They are new! What do you expect? What kind of comparison is that? Give them 5 to 10 years, and lets see how well they sound. BTW, mine is as quiet as my 16,000 mile 2006 Magnum SRT8.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by safemode
easy fix. Stop calling the z-body charger/mustang a camaro. Did pontiac keep calling their car a grandam when they changed body styles. No, they named it the G6 and the grand prix became the G8. Were they basically drop in replacements for those lines, sure... But they're not the same car.

Might as well make the same thing out of composite material and call it a corvette. Why build up a new name when you can steal an already recognized one.
The G8 didn't replace the Grand Prix. They were both produced in 2008 & 2009 so they are totally different cars.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
BTW, not all the commenting 4th gen owners hate the 5th gen. Some of us just like 4th gens better for various personal/subjective reasons. This was covered much earlier in the thread.
I am in this camp, not so much I like the 4th gen more though. I liked the Camaro a lot when it was in the show car and development phase, but the final product doesn't really do it for me. I think the 4th gens time has passed far as it being "new", they are just like how foxes were back in the 90s. A lot of the owners subscribe to the same logic the fox body guys had, it's a cheaper and a lighter car and for the cost of a used 4th gen vs an '11 or '12 _____ you can make the 4th gen run __s. But just like the old foxes compared to the 4th gens in the 90s, the foxes were older, had crappier interiors and so on, same case with the 4th gens now. Also at the same time, just like most those fox body owners compared to guys buying new 4th gens in the 90s, I would say most 4th gen guys now couldn't afford an '11 or '12 ____ to begin with and that's why they have 4th gens. Obviously not the case for every one, but by and large it holds true for most, lot of us who have had 4th gens for 10+ years, obviously not the case. But some kid buying a used 99 Z28 with a 134K miles off craigslist isn't walking in to a Ford or Chevy dealer and buying a new Camaro or '11+ 5.0. It more of a generality than a set rule, but from going to car meets and meeting the people who own 4th gens now, it definitely holds true more often than not. Because on the flip side, you also had guys who just liked the fox body cars over newer stuff and that's what they chose to hold on to and build, I knew a lot of guys like that. I know a bunch of guys like that with 4th gens now, you just have to put the car in to context for the time frame it was made.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:44 AM
Teching In

I may not own a 5th gen (or a 4th gen yet for that matter) but I have driven both numerous times and I agree that each generation has it's own ups and downs and each is designed to appeal to different types of consumers. Personally for me, one of the reasons I like the 4th gens so much (ls1's at least) is because to me, the front-end of the '98-'02 model year camaros remind me of the split-bumper 2nd gens, which happens to be my favorite looking Camaro body style, and ironically the WS6s styling remind me of the in your face attitude of the bandit edition Trans-Ams which is also a favorite of mine. I have never really cared much for the 1st gens styling-wise, I have always preferred the long front hood, low stance and hatch like rear end dimensions of the 2nd thru 4th gens. To me the 4th gens look almost like an F-18 with tires, The 5th gen just looks too much like a tonka toy in my opinion, especially when I see one in that yellow paint job. As I've mentioned before, I just don't like retro themed cars. C'mon be original! I think the new 5.0 does the best job of looking like a modern new design between both the Challenger and Camaro. I do however like the seats they come with (SS models), the halo rings in the headlights, the center console gauges and the fact that they have a heads up display option. I also like the refined feel of shifting in the manual but would like to see Camaro emblems instead of those gold bowties. The 5th gen is a car I'd cruise around town in to look fresh wheres a 4th gen is what I'd drive up to the red light to **** off the douche in a bmw next to me who thinks he's the ****. I would consider owning a 5th gen someday but it would have to be in black or white. With the 6th gen moving to a supposed much-lighter platform I think it will be a bigger hit with all of us as long as they stop with this retro theme overkill.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chaman
Of course they dont sound. They are new! What do you expect? What kind of comparison is that? Give them 5 to 10 years, and lets see how well they sound. BTW, mine is as quiet as my 16,000 mile 2006 Magnum SRT8.
My Z28 rattles and squeaks bad going over the slightest bump or dip. I've really just gotten use to it, but it was refreshing to drive a 5th gen and not have to turn up the radio to drown out the sounds of a poor design. My buddies low mileage '00 T/A is almost as bad but I guess I'm just making stuff up and that's not possible for a bone-stock, garage-kept 40k mile car. You can chalk that up to age, but not the above in bold. Call the 4th gen hold outs in here being an enthusiast, being stubborn, or whatever you want but the 4th gen and LS1/LT1 are old news...
Old 06-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

I have owned three 4th gens. Loved them all. But in little ways they drove me crazy. Windows stopped working, headlights stopped opening, the rattles, single exhaust, the windshield over the engine, and the worst thing of all was the distributor under the water pump.

I was not sure i wanted a new car, but after spending a whole day looking at cars I was happy to get out of my WS6. That pushed me over the edge.

I almost bought a Mustang 5.0 (Gasp!). It was the fastest car I drove and really is an awesome car. The Challenger was too big and heavy and too expensive. After driving the SS I knew this was the one for me.

i did not like the size, the weight, the strange interior, and the poor visibility. But I can tell you, you quickly get used to all of it.

This car is comfortable, fast, handles well for being so big and heavy, and turns you into a rock star. I got a few compliments on my 4th Gens, but nothing like this. Man, women of all ages, and especially children (via Transformer movies) all are drawn to this car like moths to a flame.

I think the stock grill is ugly, and the huge gold Chevy emblems are hideous. A Heritage grill and some dental floss cured both problems.

I am going full bolt-on and have upgraded the suspension to tame the wheel-hop and get rid of the understeer. Now my car is at home at the drags and a road course. I plan on both.

I am not knocking the 4th Gens and I can understand the love. But if you ever get a chance to take an extended drive in a 5th Gen, it will be hard to go back. I can drive this car all day and enjoy every minute of it. When I get out I start looking forward to the next drive right away.

The 5th Gen is not perfect, but that is part of it's charm. I owned perfection, a BMW 335i, and after a while perfect gets boring.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
Wow...there's alot of hate for the 5th gens. I've owned a 3rd gen, two 4th gens, and now a 5th gen. To me, the 5th gen doesn't feel like a giant. It certainly turns more heads than any of the others ever did and is far more refined. I've enjoyed all of my Camaros, but this new one is certainly my favorite so far and I wouldn't go back to a 4th gen. Love it or hate it, sales don't lie.
Ditto for me too. The new 5th is SO much more refined than its predecessors. This car is badass right off the showroom floor.

A few wise mods can make this a legendary performer. This is my 5th Camaro, and it stands far and above any other F-Bods. The suspension is just right; you'll feel the bumps more, but this thing rides on a rail.

No buyer's remorse here. In fact, I wish I bought one sooner.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 08-15-2011, 04:01 AM
Staging Lane

Holy Crap! Never seen several pix of 4th and 5th gens side by side....besides driving next to one and having the perspective that it was a 4x4, the 5th gen looks huge! It's quite possibly an aerodynamic disaster compared to a 4th gen. Prob why I will always favor a 4th gen as well....sleek styling coupled with the eviscerating power of a LS motor. I really like my punishing, unrefined 4th. It'll be super sweet when I get my hands on a 4th gen Trans Am...I love it's crazy spoiler!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:19 AM
Staging Lane

Bumps, rattles and squeeks? Do more PM. New cars are only new till you drive them away and begin to put wear on them....if you neglect upkeep then they will fall apart and become squeeking and rattling. I bought an old 4th gen to make it like new again as a project. I knew good and well I wasn't buying the best brand new muscle car on the market. Some people will buy the best new thing on the market while others will buy what they personally want and make it what they dream about with their own hands. I guess that's me though I'm building (for a fraction of the cost) performance that would otherwise be unrealistic to afford. Given the chance though if I were inclined to purchase a $30k or better muscle car.....make mine a 'Vette period.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

I suggest going and driving one, you might just like it. To say that 5th gen owners here aren't buying what they personally want is ridiculous. There are plenty of people here who have owned far more f-bodies and modded them further than you could imagine. I considered keeping my Z28 but after getting the SS I decided to just sell it. Don't get me wrong, I'll always be a fan of 4th gens, but it just doesn't compare. Enjoy your car and have fun. The 4thgen/ls1 is a hell of a machine. But when you decide to look into a 5th gen, there's no turning back. Oh and I promise not to tell you your not an enthusiast just for buying a new car... period.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Teching In

I looked at getting a LS1 f-body or a LS2 GTO before dropping the dime on a new Camaro... once I had driven a new SS Camaro... it was over, game set and match

there is no comparing one of these cars to a Ls1 f-body in anything except performance... the '10 Camaros ride like Cadillacs... you don't get beat to death by every bump, you don't feel like you're sitting about 2 inches off the ground... now I won't go around comparing car options to car options because well, in comparing a 10 year old car to a new one, would could EXPECT the new car to have more, superior options... the Ls1 f-bodies were a terrible platform with a kickass drivetrain and that is coming from a GM car nut.. and I still love the 4th gen f-bodies, if you want a pavement pounder, you'll be hard pressed to find a better option

the new Camaro just does more than hit 60 under 5 seconds

weight is definitely an issue(you realize what these cars COULD be if weight was on their side), the visibility sucks, and the side windows are so small its hard using things like an ATM, drive-thru, etc... it definitely has its cons, but i'm happy with my buying decision
Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as noisy rides go, I really don't care. I didn't buy an american muscle car to be quiet and refined lol. I love my fourth gen and after being in a '10 SS, I have not considered trading up. The advantages of the new platform are outweighed for me by the retro styling, weight, and overall "mainstream" appeal of the new SS. I'd honestly be in the market for a used ls3 vette or Z06 (of any year) before a new 'camaro. Just not my cup of tea. I like them enough, just not enough to trade up for. I get more compliments in my ride than most of the guys I know running in '10 SSs here do. Main reason has nothing to do with anything other than there are numerous 2010 Camaros on the roads now, and they don't really seem to turn heads the way they did on launch. I like the interiors they have and how they handle, but I guess I'm weird because I actually love the interior on my T/A, it suits me just fine and does what I need it to do and the seats are perfect for my *** .

I like the idea of having a NEW lsx powered ride too of course . But after the nostalgia of retro syling wore off on me, I lost interest. I'd rather dish out the coin for an ls3 conversion than swap platforms at this point. I happen to like loud, raw, rough, and quirky just fine . My two cents. Just to be clear, I am not hating on the new SS cars, just giving an opinion. Once the price drops a little more I'd consider one, but not as my first choice.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

You are right about 4th gens problems, except I cant stand that 5th gens actually have bigger doors than a fourth gen and in no way is a 5th gen rear suspension superior except for its smooth ride. For it's intended purpose, 5th gen suspension sucks. It's a pony/muscle car NOT a cadillac... And thats why there will be very few 5th gen license plates I will ever end up staring at. They really dont even handle that great, probably because of the weight.....
Old 09-06-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

My G8 handles fantastic, it has the same chassis/suspension as the new Camaro.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*