Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011 | 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
My G8 handles fantastic, it has the same chassis/suspension as the new Camaro.
they really dont, not compared to a new stang, or lots and lots of other cars, theyre just too HEAVY as is the g8....
Old 09-06-2011 | 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

The suspension is setup for the weight of the car so it's not a factor.
Old 09-06-2011 | 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

It nice to see some of you 4th gen guys coming over to the 5th gen camp after looking into them. It's been pretty lonely as an enthusiast with a 5th gen for the last couple years.
Old 09-07-2011 | 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dark SS
It nice to see some of you 4th gen guys coming over to the 5th gen camp after looking into them. It's been pretty lonely as an enthusiast with a 5th gen for the last couple years.
Yours is exactly what mine would look like if I chose to upgrade . I've always liked your sig pic.
Old 09-07-2011 | 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Yes it kinda is... not many true enthusiast, allot of first time muscle car buyers Thats good and bad, its good because it gets more people intrested in car's! But most of them dont race or are really intrested in pushing the car, seems like more mustanges are going to the racer's. Thats fine because I went to the track sunday and I was the only 5th gen! I suprized a few people when they seen me run a 12.80 then a 12.60, some guy told me he bets my car runs 13.3s cuz thats all these cars have, I shut him up pretty quick! I was neck and neck with a few low 12 sec car's because I am good on the tree, I think I did our 5th gens proud that day
Old 09-07-2011 | 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Yours is exactly what mine would look like if I chose to upgrade . I've always liked your sig pic.
Thanks, that's still my favorite pic. It actually made it into the Modern Camaro 2011 calender for June. Here's how the car sits now.

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Yes it kinda is... not many true enthusiast, allot of first time muscle car buyers Thats good and bad, its good because it gets more people intrested in car's! But most of them dont race or are really intrested in pushing the car, seems like more mustanges are going to the racer's. Thats fine because I went to the track sunday and I was the only 5th gen! I suprized a few people when they seen me run a 12.80 then a 12.60, some guy told me he bets my car runs 13.3s cuz thats all these cars have, I shut him up pretty quick! I was neck and neck with a few low 12 sec car's because I am good on the tree, I think I did our 5th gens proud that day
After I get my car back from Speed Inc. from the axle install we need to hit the track and show these kinds of people what the cars are capable of. I remember last year at byron on a Speed track day I ran about 10 times and never ran slower than a 12.9 with a 12.6 best and people were amazed. That was before I had headers or mufflers on the car so there were a lot of 4th gen and vette guys in disbelief.
Old 09-07-2011 | 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

For sure... I am down Ya those are some nice runs man!
Old 09-07-2011 | 10:10 PM
Teching In

right now a lot of the Gen V guys are older... at 26 on "other" gen V sites I seem to be one of the young guns not sporting a 6 pack

and I would say right now the vast majority of Gen V Camaros are NOT getting modded... I ran a G8 GT the other night(headers, cat back, cai, 93 tune, overweight driver mod, lol) and it was a damn close race, the owner then said "you were the 1st '10 in town that has actually given me a run, most of them look retired"... lol

i've only had my car 4 weeks but I'm already getting my wheels in motion....

stock sucks
Old 09-08-2011 | 01:17 AM
10 Second Club

5th gens are fat, heavy, and slow. It takes entirely too much money in basic suspension to finish the car out (compared to 4th gens). Did I mention they're fat?

On the flipside, they ride nice, have big brakes, and a huge engine bay, so engine work is easy. The front/rear sub is also intelligently designed, easy to drop in sections, and they handle better then the 4th gens ever could (stock vs stock and modded vs modded).

Mostly, weight.
Old 09-08-2011 | 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, that's still my favorite pic. It actually made it into the Modern Camaro 2011 calender for June. Here's how the car sits now.

After I get my car back from Speed Inc. from the axle install we need to hit the track and show these kinds of people what the cars are capable of. I remember last year at byron on a Speed track day I ran about 10 times and never ran slower than a 12.9 with a 12.6 best and people were amazed. That was before I had headers or mufflers on the car so there were a lot of 4th gen and vette guys in disbelief.
Looking real good dude! I'm assuming the exhaust manifolds on those flow pretty good? Nice runs.

Originally Posted by DietCoke
5th gens are fat, heavy, and slow. It takes entirely too much money in basic suspension to finish the car out (compared to 4th gens). Did I mention they're fat?

On the flipside, they ride nice, have big brakes, and a huge engine bay, so engine work is easy. The front/rear sub is also intelligently designed, easy to drop in sections, and they handle better then the 4th gens ever could (stock vs stock and modded vs modded).

Mostly, weight.
Yeah the engine bay can make us fourth gen guys jealous . They need those big brakes though, I'm pretty sure the added weight over a fourth gen necessitates that. The fourth gens actually had a pretty respectable stopping distance (117 ft. from 60-0 or so iirc). The fifth gens obviously will stop quicker, although it's hard to find 60-0 runs these days since so many are reporting 70mph-0 measurements.
Old 09-08-2011 | 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

I am used to heavy cars, this car only weighs another 100lbs more! Think about though, no matter what the car weighs it performs... I do agree it does not make a great all out drag car, but a for a street/strip it does not get much better. To simply put headers on a car and run mid 12s is pretty damn good to me, I was going to do a cam but I think tires are next. I should have no problem running 12.30s with 2 mods, cam swap and I am in the 11s! I dont know how much better it gets... or what some of these people expect from a car! I been building cars a long time and it has never been that easy to go that fast. My old school cars took headers, carbs, intakes, cams, head work, gears, stalls, ignition, tires ect. just to run low 12s to mid 11s.... Thats allot of freaking work, forgot to mention fuel system and who else knows O ya then they break down all the time, and you need half your garage with you LOL!
Old 09-08-2011 | 04:31 PM
Teching In

considering we can put on headers in a matter of about 3-4 hours, well, get back with me 8 hours later on your LS1 doing the same job(this being a guy in his back yard, not a speed shop)

its definitely MUCH easier to work on these cars, we can have our engine out the old fashion way(through the top) before you get the front clip off your LS1 bird or camaro(for an up top engine pull)
Old 09-08-2011 | 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

This car is actually easier to work on then my 70 olds! Headers on my olds takes 8 hrs, even taking the plugs out... That takes about 10 min!
Old 09-08-2011 | 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Dont get me Wrong, I love the look of the new camaro's but they still did not hit the nail on the head, it's too heavy!!!! You can stuff an LS3 in it but when it weighs the same as a pickup truck, there is a problem. They tried to make a nice riding, quiet, sport/luxury car, not a muscle car.

Originally Posted by sweetC5
I am used to heavy cars, this car only weighs another 100lbs more! Think about though, no matter what the car weighs it performs... I do agree it does not make a great all out drag car, but a for a street/strip it does not get much better. To simply put headers on a car and run mid 12s is pretty damn good to me, I was going to do a cam but I think tires are next. I should have no problem running 12.30s with 2 mods, cam swap and I am in the 11s! I dont know how much better it gets... or what some of these people expect from a car! I been building cars a long time and it has never been that easy to go that fast. My old school cars took headers, carbs, intakes, cams, head work, gears, stalls, ignition, tires ect. just to run low 12s to mid 11s.... Thats allot of freaking work, forgot to mention fuel system and who else knows O ya then they break down all the time, and you need half your garage with you LOL!
Did you ever own a 4th gen? Honestly, you cant compare dragstrip performance at all.... I went 13.2 bone stock down to the paper airfilter in my 00 ss, and that was with a 2.281 60', spinning horribly. It went 12.2 with mild bolt ons. and slicks (six speed). Didnt have an UDP, had stock lsd1 intake, stock throttle body..... Would have broken 11's If I had even had it TUNED/ ls6intake. Crappy *** patriot heads/cam got it in the 10's.... should I keep going? Now it's a potato chip though...

Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama
considering we can put on headers in a matter of about 3-4 hours, well, get back with me 8 hours later on your LS1 doing the same job(this being a guy in his back yard, not a speed shop)

its definitely MUCH easier to work on these cars, we can have our engine out the old fashion way(through the top) before you get the front clip off your LS1 bird or camaro(for an up top engine pull)
I can drop or install the headers in my 4th gen in about 10 minutes, And do a cam in 20 in my back yard, but I dont play fair.....
Attached Thumbnails 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*-ls24.jpg  
Old 09-08-2011 | 08:35 PM
Teching In

lol... I see
Old 09-09-2011 | 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADD SS
Dont get me Wrong, I love the look of the new camaro's but they still did not hit the nail on the head, it's too heavy!!!! You can stuff an LS3 in it but when it weighs the same as a pickup truck, there is a problem. They tried to make a nice riding, quiet, sport/luxury car, not a muscle car.
This comment is ridiculous. It weight 300 lbs. more than the 4th gen and even though that is a lot of weight it's still well within the realm of a modern day sports car. Everyone speaks as though the car weighs 4500 lbs. It weighs as much as a GTR, which is a super car. I agree that the car weighs too much, if it was 3600 lbs. it would be destroying the competition but it doesn't weigh as much as a pick up truck. The bottom line is GM didn't have the resources to make the car any lighter so they added HP and suspension to compensate. It's a fine car for what it is but if you want a true sports car, not a touring car, you need to get the Vette.

As for your 12.2 time. Is that stock weight and suspension??
Old 09-09-2011 | 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

First off I have been around 4th gens since they came out! I have had 2 4th gen camaro's and my brother still has his 2000 T/A... and your times are NOT avg! Nice runs but that is not some normal thing that every 4th gen does... the 5th gen blows away that car in every sence, and unless you own one you just wont get it! My 12.60 was done with nothing but headers and my home made intake that probly does nothing, no 4th gen I been around has even come close to running that with just headers, mine still ran 13s! There was a bone stock 2000 Z28 at the track that same day running 13.6s and bolt-on T/A running 13.0s...that same day I never ran slower then 12.80. I said it before if you want a full on drag car, this is not it! The 4gen will do that much better... but I will take this car all day for daily driver that I race! This car will have no problems running 11s and driving to work in comfort... put a 150 shot and you have a monster. Bye the way, did I mention how awesome this car looks
Old 09-09-2011 | 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really, really personally dislike the way the 5th gens are inside, not so much the ergonomics or the layout or anything of that nature, but the seating position and visibility are very bad, to me. However, that is honestly really the only drawback I personally have about them, everything else I've pretty much grown to like. I would love to drive one no doubt if I could adjust to the visibility and seating position.

I also think people need to get over the whole weight issue too, people make it out to be more than what it really is, it's not like it's competitors are lightweights either.
Old 09-09-2011 | 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

This comment is ridiculous. It weight 300 lbs. more than the 4th gen and even though that is a lot of weight it's still well within the realm of a modern day sports car. Everyone speaks as though the car weighs 4500 lbs. It weighs as much as a GTR, which is a super car. I agree that the car weighs too much, if it was 3600 lbs. it would be destroying the competition but it doesn't weigh as much as a pick up truck. The bottom line is GM didn't have the resources to make the car any lighter so they added HP and suspension to compensate. It's a fine car for what it is but if you want a true sports car, not a touring car, you need to get the Vette.

As for your 12.2 time. Is that stock weight and suspension??
Ridiculous? Really? Last time I checked the difference is alot more than 300 lbs. I raced my car since day 1, and it was 3612-3622 with me in it and im 210-220 depending. Yes it was stock weight, now its obviously not. Ive been in multiple 5th gens, they just dont feel as fast, both work related and my friends own them too.
Old 09-09-2011 | 03:38 PM
Teching In

I dont get why everyone calls us slow when we are faster than a stock LS1 f-body......

a 6-speed LS2 GTO and a 5th gen Camaro is a DAMN good race, but with equal drivers, the edge is to the 5th gen....

i'll give you the car is a little over weight.... which is why we're bringing a 350whp 6.2L to the dance.... not a 300whp 5.7L...

more weight? ok, we'll give the Camaro more power... true if it weighed 3500lbs it'd be a much quicker car but the REASON the camaro weighs so much is: safety... added braces, more air bags, etc...

you give me two cars to crash: a Ls1 f-body or a 5th gen and I know which one i'm going to take...

Quick Reply: 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*