Sponsored by:

4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Huggerorange73
This is hands down the most accurate post in this entire thread. Well said

How about a look at the two cars from a different angle?

im jealous of that collection.

get some stripes on that 4th gen.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
im jealous of that collection.

It is an awesome pair, but I'm pretty sure he sold the '99 car (I considered buying it when it was for sale).

I've also seen pics of his previous '73 Hugger Orange Camaro. Imagine having all three in your collection at once.....I'd never be able to leave the garage.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It is an awesome pair, but I'm pretty sure he sold the '99 car (I considered buying it when it was for sale).

I've also seen pics of his previous '73 Hugger Orange Camaro. Imagine having all three in your collection at once.....I'd never be able to leave the garage.
Yup, the 99 is gone

And you're right on the mark....if I could have swung it, to have the 73, 99 & 10 would have been the ULTIMATE garage for me.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thumbs up

man, what was your set up on that 73! thats sweet and might be the nicest one of them all!

that split bumper really sets it off.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chaman
I love how there are some financial geniuses who reach the conclusion that if one find this car hideous, then one must be not able to buy it, and that explains the opinion said guy (me in this case) has. Wonderful.

With that kind of argument in favor of the 5th gen we have officially reached the lowest possible level of discussion and to me it only reinforces the opinion that most guys who have bought the 5th gen did so just to be riding the "flavor of the month" and will, undoubtedly, move on to the next one and so the cycle continues. Are these guys really car enthusiasts? Not in my book. These just get car to be seen in it. No real passion for cars at all, not to mention POOR knowledge of car's history.

I could buy one of these 5th gens, I just would never do it because it looks and feels like a bloated pig. Plain. And. Simple. Also I dont need to discuss my line of work with ANYONE here.

I hope that when the hype fades away the 5th gens fall finally into real car guys, not primadonas with a desperate need to be seen.

Yes, I have reached my own conclusions in the subject just like some magically knew my finances and how some posted opinions as facts WITHOUT citing their "sources", just something like "Ive read several books", quite precise, huh? Laughable at best.
its safe to say that im not most guys and i didn't buy mine to be an attention ***** or because that's what's hot. i bought it bc of the LS3, and if i didnt drive from SC to VA and back often, i wouldve gotten a LS3 vette. have you driven a new 5th gen? i can tell you that it handles 3x better than my 98 did. i do miss my 4th gen though.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JHL88
its safe to say that im not most guys and i didn't buy mine to be an attention ***** or because that's what's hot. i bought it bc of the LS3, and if i didnt drive from SC to VA and back often, i wouldve gotten a LS3 vette. have you driven a new 5th gen? i can tell you that it handles 3x better than my 98 did. i do miss my 4th gen though.
Yes Ive driven one, wait, make that two. I felt like I was in a can of tuna, almost claustrophobic. I dont know the exact dimensions but it felt much more cramped than my 4th gen. It was quieter (expected for a new car) and it handled better than a 4th gen (not mine since I have a few suspension mods). Power wise it felt slow, lets say slower than I expected. Outside visibility sucks, even compared with a 4th gen. Trunk space? If that slot in the back can be called a trunk well, minimal. It felt, bloated, big and cramped to summarize.

Relating to the "attention *****" comment, its obvious real car enthusiasts (probably like yourself) have been getting them, but sadly most have been bought by a lot of those "******". Some will drop the 5th gen to get their delicate asses into the 6th gen or any other popular car available at the time. Then they will keep babbling nonsense and pass opinions as facts and so the endless "***** parade" will keep going on.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes Ive driven one, wait, make that two. I felt like I was in a can of tuna, almost claustrophobic. I dont know the exact dimensions but it felt much more cramped than my 4th gen. It was quieter (expected for a new car) and it handled better than a 4th gen (not mine since I have a few suspension mods). Power wise it felt slow, lets say slower than I expected. Outside visibility sucks, even compared with a 4th gen. Trunk space? If that slot in the back can be called a trunk well, minimal. It felt, bloated, big and cramped to summarize.

Relating to the "attention *****" comment, its obvious real car enthusiasts (probably like yourself) have been getting them, but sadly most have been bought by a lot of those "******". Some will drop the 5th gen to get their delicate asses into the 6th gen or any other popular car available at the time. Then they will keep babbling nonsense and pass opinions as facts and so the endless "***** parade" will keep going on.
just curious.. how many miles were on the 2 5th gens you drove? and im assuming you've driven an m6? i ask that bc in my honest opinion when i picked my car up from the dealership and i gunned it to see what it had, i was disappointed in comparison to my z, i gave it some time and as soon as i hit about 1500 miles it opened up quite a bit. Now i have 6k miles and its a completely different car as far as power goes. i/we can only hope GM evolves with this car like they did with the lt1's to the ls1's and ford with the 4.6 to the 4v 5.0. i think they have to. on another note, i think i could fit 2 dead bodies in my trunk lol. i do agree that the 5th gens are more appealing to the mainstream as opposed to the 4th gens where its sole purpose was to perform.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Both were autos, both were RS/SS models. One was like 2,000 or 3,000, the other was aprox. 8,000. Both completely stock. Yes the more miles one felt stronger but still not as I expected.

Tw0 dead bodies? Rat bodies that is? LOL! Seriously it had a small trunk specially when you consider the overall car size.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JHL88
just curious.. how many miles were on the 2 5th gens you drove? and im assuming you've driven an m6? i ask that bc in my honest opinion when i picked my car up from the dealership and i gunned it to see what it had, i was disappointed in comparison to my z, i gave it some time and as soon as i hit about 1500 miles it opened up quite a bit. Now i have 6k miles and its a completely different car as far as power goes. i/we can only hope GM evolves with this car like they did with the lt1's to the ls1's and ford with the 4.6 to the 4v 5.0. i think they have to. on another note, i think i could fit 2 dead bodies in my trunk lol. i do agree that the 5th gens are more appealing to the mainstream as opposed to the 4th gens where its sole purpose was to perform.
They definitely do feel slower than what they are. Seat of the pants does not always tell the whole story IMO. They do pick up after break in...and also having the TC and stability changes things A LOT. If the car is in normal mode it literally feels like about 50hp less. Every time I get in the car I hold the magic button down for 7 seconds.

I was no less than BLOWN AWAY with how fast this car is with the mods I have now. I beat my buddies 6 speed H/C 2000 z28 with this car twice. I posted about it a while back and he even discussed it on here as well (he is also a member). I got a nice good flame for it from a lot of 4th gen owners and doubters...but it is what it is I suppose. Maybe I out drove him. It was a 40 to 130 race. These cars are far from slow.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Both were autos, both were RS/SS models. One was like 2,000 or 3,000, the other was aprox. 8,000. Both completely stock. Yes the more miles one felt stronger but still not as I expected.

Tw0 dead bodies? Rat bodies that is? LOL! Seriously it had a small trunk specially when you consider the overall car size.

Really? The trunk opening is on the small side....but the trunk itself is gigantic. The rear seats also both fold down if thats not enough. Two people could just about sleep back their after that.

BTW... a lot of the L99's require a fuse pull due to dealers putting 87 in them. They will even stay in low octane mode after the correct gas is run. Plenty of people have reported L99 cars only putting down ~280 rwhp and running 14's due to this. A properly running L99 will hit 12's in good conditions and put down 320-340rwhp.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Really? The trunk opening is on the small side....but the trunk itself is gigantic. The rear seats also both fold down if thats not enough. Two people could just about sleep back their after that.

BTW... a lot of the L99's require a fuse pull due to dealers putting 87 in them. They will even stay in low octane mode after the correct gas is run. Plenty of people have reported L99 cars only putting down ~280 rwhp and running 14's due to this. A properly running L99 will hit 12's in good conditions and put down 320-340rwhp.
good point, i forgot about the fuse pulls. ive never driven an L99 though. i know my dealer had 87 octane in mine, i was a little urked initially. i did the fuse pull on mine as well, i heard some guys reported a difference on their LS3's so i figured id give it a try. For me now, its not like it matters anymore anyway
Old 02-13-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too was really disappointed by the seat of the pants feel at first. I think it's the suspension and high belt line that make it feel slow. These cars wake up with more miles and minimal mods and my car has surprised the crap out of me at the track. Public opinion is pretty scewed because people like us are the minority and the middle aged "vette" guys that bought the flavor of the week are what most people see at test and tunes. I can't stand the dipshits on Camaro5 congratulating each other for running low 13's with full bolt-ons. But that has become the norm as to what people think these cars and the owners are capable of and that is the one thing that really sucks about owning this car.

Last edited by Dark SS; 02-20-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Wow, I had no idea that the timing table would lock on low octane and stay there, even after a refuel.

So is this fuse trick the same deal as how we used to reset the SES light on 4th gens (pull PCM BAT & PCM IGN)? Can you just use a scanner and clear DTCs/MIL to achieve the same result?
Old 02-14-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, I had no idea that the timing table would lock on low octane and stay there, even after a refuel.

So is this fuse trick the same deal as how we used to reset the SES light on 4th gens (pull PCM BAT & PCM IGN)? Can you just use a scanner and clear DTCs/MIL to achieve the same result?
Here is a link to more info.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38964

It is such a widespread problem they made it a sticky at Camaro5.

Octane...one of the founding members of moderncamaro.com had a faulty L99 as well. His experience was well documented and he ended up getting some type of performance tune from GM still under warranty after it was said and done.

He was logging 6-7 second 0-60 times and could not get out of the 14's in the 1/4 mile with his car.

He ran a 12.8 after the tune.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Here is a link to more info.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38964

It is such a widespread problem they made it a sticky at Camaro5.

Octane...one of the founding members of moderncamaro.com had a faulty L99 as well. His experience was well documented and he ended up getting some type of performance tune from GM still under warranty after it was said and done.

He was logging 6-7 second 0-60 times and could not get out of the 14's in the 1/4 mile with his car.

He ran a 12.8 after the tune.
Thanks for the info.

I'm going to check out that link and start learning about this issue. If I ever buy a 5th gen, it will be an L99 (I'm all about the auto), so this is something that would concern me.

I don't think I've heard about the automatic LS3 Corvettes having this issue, so I'm guessing it has more to do with it being an L99 than an auto, correct? LOL.... maybe I should just read the link.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dark SS
I too was really disappointed by the seat of the pants feel at first. I think it's the suspension and high belt line that make it feel slow. These cars wake up with more miles and minimal mods and my car has suprised the crap out of me at the track. Public opinion is pretty scewed because people like us are the minority and the middle aged "vette" guys that bought the flavor of the week are what most people see at test and tunes. I can't stand the dipshits on Camaro5 congratulating each other for running low 13's with full bolt-ons. But that has beome the norm as to what people think these cars and the owners are capable of and that is the one thing that really sucks about owning this car.
lol i know what you mean. i cant stand to stay on camaro5 for very long sometimes. about 80 percent of people over there dont know what the hell they're talking about and what really pisses me off is when another dam thread comes along about what friken exhaust some guy wants to get. do a search, for real. thats all i ever see on the bolton section, it gets old . i do like going over there to see what news has sprout up, and pictures of members cars.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to check out that link and start learning about this issue. If I ever buy a 5th gen, it will be an L99 (I'm all about the auto), so this is something that would concern me.

I don't think I've heard about the automatic LS3 Corvettes having this issue, so I'm guessing it has more to do with it being an L99 than an auto, correct? LOL.... maybe I should just read the link.
A few members with LS3's reported the problem as well. For the most part is is an L99 issue though.

I dont doubt something is going to happen very soon with the base model SS. Might just want to wait and see what the 12 model has in store...especially for the auto cars. I am sure it is no secret to GM that the L99 is a bit behind the auto 5.0.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

I like the look of the 5th gen but after test driving one I chose the 2011 Mustang GT as my daily driver. The view out of the car was much better and the interior pieces were much nicer even in the base model. They both were different animals than my 2000 Firebird Formula. It was raw power and I liked that for a while. Alas, it had to be sacraficed for the Whipple that will soon be on the Mustang.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just plain hate mod motors.and will never own any vehicle with one.
I'm just waitin for the prices to drop to cash prices for the v6 5th gens.
Then I can swap and build at will like every other ls car I've owned. From machine work and assembly of the engine to building hot parts from scratch.
I know the v8s will always be higher priced unless there wrecked. But eventually the v6 owners are gonna start looking to upgrade or get something else. And I will be there.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think a 2011 5.0 will take anywhere near the boost like the 03,04 Cobra's do.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*