Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
The topic seemed to become an emotional one; I guess we all love our cars, and that's a good thing imo . We're all in this together though, near as I can tell.

The root of the problem here is the whole "us" vs "them" thing, on BOTH sides.

I think this stems from the fact that there was an 8 year break in production between the 4th gen and the 5th gen. This was long enough for the newest of the last generation to be seen as old used junk, but not long enough for them to be antiques.

Had there been a Camaro produced between 2003-09, I think things would be different. People wouldn't be comparing '10-'11 cars to '98-'02 cars.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chaman
Really?

...if I ever saw one! Well, sport, there you have it. One of those mythic 4th gen bolt ons in the 11's. Im sure there are a lot more hanging around. Butt hurt? Why I would be? I know what 4th gens are capable of, that's why I have one! No butt hurting here, but tell us...how does it feel to be proved wrong?? Even with a video...damn I love LS1TECH.

Not much can be said here unless you come up with another one of those "creative" arguments.
Proven wrong? I guess you can see me in the video watching that car run from the stands. Keep trying champ.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

god damn cant we all just get along they're all f-body's in the end. they're both awesome cars and they're good at different things. Again i will say i love my fourth gens and my 5th gen, the 4th gen is a raw drag racing machine that has killer looks to go with. the 5th gen is overall a better daily drivin car they handle curves alot better without getting tail happy, i say if you car own both do it then you have the best of both worlds.

you guys really crack me up with yalls bantering AGAIN I SAY CANT WE GO BACK TO HATING ON THE DUMB *** RICE BURNERS??????? cause we're fighting with people we should be on the same team with.......
Old 09-30-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

5th gens aren't f-bodies. Ask and 4th gen owner.......
Old 09-30-2011, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

5th gens use a platform that quit alot of other cars use that you would not belive. the paltform is designed to allow for all kinds of different setups from two door to 4 door and even front wheel drive cars, its not a new patform by any means either.

what I dont like about the new 5th gen is it was designed at the same time that GM was cutting corners and there really isnt anything NEW about the car, it all used older technology that already existed.

and the paltform was never designed to be high performance IMO but then again neither was the F-body, but I think if you ever ran them on a auto-x the 4th gen would outperform it even with the solid axl if they were both givin the same engine.

to me the camaro is not the pony car of old but falls into the catagory of luxery performance

btw this is the list of cars that use the same platform

2006 Holden VE Commodore
2006 HSV E Series
2007 Vauxhall VXR8
2007 Chevrolet Lumina
2008 Pontiac G8
2006 (2010) Chevrolet Omega
2006 Holden WM Statesman
2007 Chevrolet Caprice
2008 Daewoo Veritas
2007 Buick Park Avenue
2007 Holden Ute

yes belive it or not even a lumina shares the same frame
Old 09-30-2011, 03:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 82cetuner

2006 Holden VE Commodore
2006 HSV E Series
2007 Vauxhall VXR8
2007 Chevrolet Lumina
2008 Pontiac G8
2006 Holden WM Statesman
2007 Chevrolet Caprice
2008 Daewoo Veritas
2007 Buick Park Avenue
2007 Holden Ute

Actually, all of those cars you listed are quite cool. They're all G8-based cars so they have a similar look to them. An LS1 swap Daewoo...and Buick...nice. Who's gonna step up and import one stateside! haha
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

The root of the problem here is the whole "us" vs "them" thing, on BOTH sides.

I think this stems from the fact that there was an 8 year break in production between the 4th gen and the 5th gen. This was long enough for the newest of the last generation to be seen as old used junk, but not long enough for them to be antiques.

Had there been a Camaro produced between 2003-09, I think things would be different. People wouldn't be comparing '10-'11 cars to '98-'02 cars.
Yup, and that's why we have garages

Originally Posted by Dark SS
5th gens aren't f-bodies. Ask and 4th gen owner.......
Ok, you need to drop the butt hurt if you're ever going to have any type of respect or credibility here. We don't give a **** about all that in the end, and you know this. I understand what you're saying but now you're just stooping. Your car is nice dude, and like I said before if I ever bought one, it would look just like that. Great taste. Don't let us fourth gen guys rattle you. The fifth gen is not an fbody, but does it have to be? You already know all this though so I'll shut up right here.

5th gens use a platform that quit alot of other cars use that you would not belive. the paltform is designed to allow for all kinds of different setups from two door to 4 door and even front wheel drive cars, its not a new patform by any means either.

what I dont like about the new 5th gen is it was designed at the same time that GM was cutting corners and there really isnt anything NEW about the car, it all used older technology that already existed.

and the paltform was never designed to be high performance IMO but then again neither was the F-body, but I think if you ever ran them on a auto-x the 4th gen would outperform it even with the solid axl if they were both givin the same engine.

to me the camaro is not the pony car of old but falls into the catagory of luxery performance

2006 Holden VE Commodore
2006 HSV E Series
2007 Vauxhall VXR8
2007 Chevrolet Lumina
2008 Pontiac G8
2006 Holden WM Statesman
2007 Chevrolet Caprice
2008 Daewoo Veritas
2007 Buick Park Avenue
2007 Holden Ute

No worries with that, and as far as auto crossing an fbody everyone knows it's done with the right foot mostly. These cars are not exactly forgiving on the twisties, but that's not to be mistaken for shitty cornering either imo. Good post btw.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
the 5th gen is overall a better daily drivin car
This is still a matter of opinion and preference. Things I prefer about daily driving a 4th gen:

- T-tops
- Seating position & steering wheel/shifter position
- Door window size

Those are all primary factors to me, things that matter much more than modern electronics and gadgets (frankly I don't even like those things). As for the more comfortable stock ride of the 5th gen, if I was concerned with that I would buy a Cadillac (and get a CTS-V if I wanted Camaro beating power along with luxury). Performance difference between your average 4th gen and 5th gen isn't so drastically different as to be a huge deal to me.

Only area where the 5th gen is superior (in my world) is the fact that it's new, and thus less likely to break than my 100k mile old '02.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I could buy a brand new 4th gen with an LS3 or a brand new 5th gen with an LS3, even for the same price, I'd pick the 4th gen (for daily driver or a toy). This is a personal choice; I don't care if others agree or not, nor do I need to justify it to anyone. The point here is, regardless of what some 5th gen owners might think, I do not agree that a 5th gen would be a better daily driver *for me*. Having said that, I may have no choice at some point, because I simply can't get a new 4th gen and can't bring myself to ever consider daily driving my '98 garage queen.

In the end, I've never had a problem with anyone liking their 5th gen more than a 4th gen. They are cool cars, if it's what you like then more power to you. We all have our own tastes and there is no right or wrong answer to that. What I have a problem with is certain 5th gen owners assuming that every 4th gen owner somehow wishes they had a 5th gen. It's an offensive attitude.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 09-30-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

^My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

In the end, I've never had a problem with anyone liking their 5th gen more than a 4th gen. They are cool cars, if it's what you like then more power to you. We all have our own tastes and there is no right or wrong answer to that. What I have a problem with is certain 5th gen owners assuming that every 4th gen owner somehow wishes they had a 5th gen. It's an offensive attitude.
Where is this coming from?? All I hear are the 4th gen guys perpetuating this for the last 4 pages.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

Where is this coming from?? All I hear are the 4th gen guys perpetuating this for the last 4 pages.
sweetc5 posted something to that affect a couple pages back...I didnt really take it that way... Guys let this **** go! Both platforms get the ******* job done! Dang guys were all camaro lovers here....can't we all just get along lol!
Old 10-01-2011, 01:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

From this:

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Thats what happens when people want to make an excuse why they dont want something, when they really do! I know that because I used to be that way... when the 4gens came out I hated them, then I woke up and relized I was coming up with ways to not like the car, because really I wanted one and just didnt know it Thats how I ended up with 2 of them LOL! Same happen with the 5th gen when it first hit the road, I was looking at it comming up with reasons why I did not like it... when really I loved the car but I new I could not buy one at the time! Its like defence to keep you from feeling bad LOL! I hate to say it but its true...
I stayed away from this thread for a long time, then saw it was active again and caught the above post. Frankly, that was the only reason I bothered replying to this thread again; if not for that sucking me back into this thread, I would have just stayed quiet.

Honestly, I wish I hadn't even looked in here again.

Being a staff member on this site, I read a lot of threads, and I can tell you this is NOT the first time (or second, or thrid) I've heard a 5th gen owner speak/write this way.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 10-01-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

I am not downing the 5th gen GM catered to what the market probably wanted and most people are never going to look into it far enouph to see that theres alot of cars it resembles. I personally would want a G8 over a camaro simply cause of the rarity factor, around where im from you cant go buy milk at the convience store without passing atleast 6 new camaros.

shoot I know people that still argue a camaro and firebird are not the same car and that f-bodys did not get corvette engines.

I just think for the price tag of a brand new camaro SS I can have a way better performing car and not a DIME A DOZEN car.

I will probably have less in my fully built ws-6 than a new SS and it will smoke one.

However Money is always going to be the true equilizer for any car. I just cant see the value in the new SS cause I dont need all that extra crap the new cars come with.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:03 AM
TECH Veteran

From this:

I stayed away from this thread for a long time, then saw it was active again and caught the above post. Frankly, that was the only reason I bothered replying to this thread again; if not for that sucking me back into this thread, I would have just stayed quiet.

Honestly, I wish I hadn't even looked in here again.

Being a staff member on this site, I read a lot of threads, and I can tell you this is NOT the first time (or second, or thrid) I've heard a 5th gen owner speak/write this way.
You hit the nail on the head. That was a rather childish comment. The 4th gen is an excellent platform. It seems that some 5th gen guys have a lot of misinformation about it, or chose to forget it. Just take a look at the ridiculous comment about the 4th gen not able to hit 11s with bolt ons! Totally ridiculous!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Proven wrong? I guess you can see me in the video watching that car run from the stands. Keep trying champ.
No need trying...you were schooled and ridiculed.

Nice job.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Wow, this is entertaining. The argument is like watching the special olympics. Cause even if you win, your still retarded. Who really cares anyway. Drive your car and enjoy it and **** the rest.

PS-The F-Body is whatever GM says it is. The car has ALWAYS been an F body.

gm cars were built on "platforms" that were given different alphabetic letters to denote what thay were. For example a 72 "f" gm car could be a camaro or a firebird. the same is true today. on a current gm vehicle or any current vehicle. there is a 17 digit vin. A gm cars 4th digit of the vin will tell you what platform the car is. Example a 2010 camaro has a fourth digit of "F" still to this day. That is mechanic talk for "F" body. The reason a firebird and a camaro were both "F" body cars was that they shared the same unit/frame/platform structure with each other. altough the sheet metal and trim or even engines might be different the root structure of the vehicle is the same. Take for example an old chevy nova.... This was a GM "X" body. The x-car was not only a nova, but a buick apollo and a pontiac ventura and an olds omega. All shared the same frame/structure. Still holds true today.... A modern "N" body car can be a 2004 malibu or 2004 olds alero or a 2004 pontiac grand am.... Although these cars look very different externally they use the same underpinnings. One note though when we are talking about gm cars the 4th digit is the "body/stlye" code, But a GM truck uses the 5th digit to denote frame/structure/platform. Example If your chev truck is a "c1500" (the 5th digit is a c) youve got a 2wd. if the 5th digit is a k (youve got a 4wd platform).
As far as what letter decideds what is what there is no science I've ever figured out. Currently as far as Gm cars there is the following "letter" designations. A C F G H J K M N S W V Y and for trucks (5th Digit) A B C D G K L M P S T V W

Quoted by: Whoever the hell Becca is.

Last edited by Estes; 10-02-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chaman
No need trying...you were schooled and ridiculed.

Nice job.
Whatever helps you sleep at night. I can't fix the fact that you can't read and comprehend the English language.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Launching!

I will probably have less in my fully built ws-6 than a new SS and it will smoke one.

However Money is always going to be the true equilizer for any car. I just cant see the value in the new SS cause I dont need all that extra crap the new cars come with.
Well said. It's fun to pull away from the owner of a new [stock] SS knowing you spent far less $$$. Then again, the new ones come with a nice warranty so when something goes it's not quite as much of a headache. As many people said before me, it's preference. Personally, I like the way the 5th gens look, especially with blacked out windows and grill. I wouldn't mind having some of its amenities either. All those electronics would be nice, but I can't imagine all the wiring under the dash. I've contemplated installing heated/cooled seats in my car, but I don't want to set my butt on fire. I would love to have a 5th gen. I could give it to my mom I kid I kid!

I'm just glad chevy came out with the camaro again. Too bad pointiac went bye-bye, I think it would've been interesting to see how the trans-ams held up aesthetically to their predecessors.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by runtwrestlin
Well said. It's fun to pull away from the owner of a new [stock] SS knowing you spent far less $$$. Then again, the new ones come with a nice warranty so when something goes it's not quite as much of a headache. As many people said before me, it's preference. Personally, I like the way the 5th gens look, especially with blacked out windows and grill. I wouldn't mind having some of its amenities either. All those electronics would be nice, but I can't imagine all the wiring under the dash. I've contemplated installing heated/cooled seats in my car, but I don't want to set my butt on fire. I would love to have a 5th gen. I could give it to my mom I kid I kid!

I'm just glad chevy came out with the camaro again. Too bad pointiac went bye-bye, I think it would've been interesting to see how the trans-ams held up aesthetically to their predecessors.
Your right on the money. I know I like the way it feels when I pull away from a Corvette with them looking like WTF just happened. I haven't seen many 4th Gens that keep up, but that's only cause of my area. I now there are plenty out there that will smash the **** out of me. But when you start talking mods, its a whole other ball game. I have a friend that has the ugliest Honda civic you've ever seen that will embarrass a lot of people. But the seatbelt isn't even stock. Like the guy above, MONEY, and how much do you drop into it.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

since when is having a warrently less of a headache LOL, ever tried to put a warrently claim in for a big ticket item like a engine.

im not against 5th gens at all but I dont know if I would like one for a daily, and for a performance car its just to much money when I would only want to upgrade it and kill the warrently anyways and it has way to many gadgets that I dont need. shoot even my 01 has some stuff I can live without. the lumbar support in the seat for one.

i belive its still to each is own, I will never critisize a persons car cause they chose what they wanted, however I will hate on anyone who thinks I drive a 4th gen cause I cant afford a 5th gen cause when I bought I car I wanted to finance it so I could keep some credit going so I financed it VERY short term and ended up with a 500 dollar payment and I could have paid cash for it if I wanted. i am pretty sure with a good size down payment and a 6 year or even 7 i think they go to now car loan I could of gotten out cheeper a month on a new camaro

Quick Reply: 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*