Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is still a matter of opinion and preference. Things I prefer about daily driving a 4th gen:

- T-tops
- Seating position & steering wheel/shifter position
- Door window size

Those are all primary factors to me, things that matter much more than modern electronics and gadgets (frankly I don't even like those things). As for the more comfortable stock ride of the 5th gen, if I was concerned with that I would buy a Cadillac (and get a CTS-V if I wanted Camaro beating power along with luxury). Performance difference between your average 4th gen and 5th gen isn't so drastically different as to be a huge deal to me.

Only area where the 5th gen is superior (in my world) is the fact that it's new, and thus less likely to break than my 100k mile old '02.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I could buy a brand new 4th gen with an LS3 or a brand new 5th gen with an LS3, even for the same price, I'd pick the 4th gen (for daily driver or a toy). This is a personal choice; I don't care if others agree or not, nor do I need to justify it to anyone. The point here is, regardless of what some 5th gen owners might think, I do not agree that a 5th gen would be a better daily driver *for me*. Having said that, I may have no choice at some point, because I simply can't get a new 4th gen and can't bring myself to ever consider daily driving my '98 garage queen.

In the end, I've never had a problem with anyone liking their 5th gen more than a 4th gen. They are cool cars, if it's what you like then more power to you. We all have our own tastes and there is no right or wrong answer to that. What I have a problem with is certain 5th gen owners assuming that every 4th gen owner somehow wishes they had a 5th gen. It's an offensive attitude.
well said.. i totally agree.. i see your point about the windows being to short but im not a big person so i dont feel cramped like my 6foot 9 inch friend whose head was almost touching the roof in the 5th gen.

If i HAD to choose one over the other id still choose my 10 year old Firehawk just something about that car i LOVE... the comp is nice too but the LT1 is alot harder to work on.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
since when is having a warrently less of a headache LOL, ever tried to put a warrently claim in for a big ticket item like a engine.

im not against 5th gens at all but I dont know if I would like one for a daily, and for a performance car its just to much money when I would only want to upgrade it and kill the warrently anyways and it has way to many gadgets that I dont need. shoot even my 01 has some stuff I can live without. the lumbar support in the seat for one.

i belive its still to each is own, I will never critisize a persons car cause they chose what they wanted, however I will hate on anyone who thinks I drive a 4th gen cause I cant afford a 5th gen cause when I bought I car I wanted to finance it so I could keep some credit going so I financed it VERY short term and ended up with a 500 dollar payment and I could have paid cash for it if I wanted. i am pretty sure with a good size down payment and a 6 year or even 7 i think they go to now car loan I could of gotten out cheeper a month on a new camaro
lol sorry to burst your bubble but even with 15,000 down my payments are still over 500 a month i pay more than that cause i want the thing paid off sooner. you might could have gotten a stripped down one or a v6 for less than that a month. i really bought this car to cruise... until the warranty goes out, (hello tvs 2300, full exhaust and bolt-ons) but we're not going to get into that.lololol
Old 10-04-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had 2 4th Gens and now have 2 5th Gens. The 4th Gens were a lot of fun but I prefer the 5th Gens. Just my opinion. I can see why people would prefer the 4th Gens though and wouldn't ever knock them for it. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

This is my personal opinion and I could be waaaayyy off but I think major part of the magic that the 5th gen is missing that the 4th gen had (in stock form) is it's dominance over it's competition, with modded cars all bets are off but stock 4th gens was crushing its competition for over a decade and on the heels of corvettes and WE WERE SPOILED by this, but with the 5th gen its a drivers race with the 5.0 stang having the edge and 392 challenger and a c6 driver has nothing to fear and that stings a little for us chevy guys.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Launching!

the 392 challenger is not as fast as an ss i beat one in my bone stock 2SS convertible...
Old 10-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Launching!

My bad it was just an srt8 with the 6.1 damn looks like i need and intake and exhaust
Old 10-06-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
the 392 challenger is not as fast as an ss i beat one in my bone stock 2SS convertible...
Then he doesn't know how to drive.

Next door neighbor has one. 12.5s all day at Cecil. No mods at all. Fast car!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by linemupz28
This is my personal opinion and I could be waaaayyy off but I think major part of the magic that the 5th gen is missing that the 4th gen had (in stock form) is it's dominance over it's competition, with modded cars all bets are off but stock 4th gens was crushing its competition for over a decade and on the heels of corvettes and WE WERE SPOILED by this, but with the 5th gen its a drivers race with the 5.0 stang having the edge and 392 challenger and a c6 driver has nothing to fear and that stings a little for us chevy guys.
These are good points. Stock Z28 vs C5 seemed closer (drag racing) on average than a new stock SS vs an LS3 C6. The LS1 4th gen was definitely an over-achiever in it's day.....almost identicle in price to a Mustang GT, but with ~100hp more. A stock '98-'02 GT didn't stand a chance, even if the LS1 driver was asleep.

Things are different now. I like the new 5.0, in some ways I like it more than the new SS (mostly because I'm an automatic guy, and the L99 just doesn't do it for me).
Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah the fourth gens were ahead of their time (especially the Ls1) and that's sort of their claim to fame. A few cars would take them, but the list was short, pricey, and sometimes consisted of cars that were hard to find. Today, the coyote seems to be doing some pretty amazing things with five litres na.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason that the LS1 4th gen was so much better than it's competition was because the competition was still kicking the crap out if it sales wise with 100 less hp. and didn't care. The 4.6 mod motor carried all the way till 2009 because it had no competition at all after 2002.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

The reason is because they were faster than most other cars (including the GT) in their class, get it straight. Sales have never been, are not now, and never will be indicative of performance.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

You guys love to pick and choose your arguments. The car was faster than the GT because Ford was selling the mustang with 260hp and didn't need to dump extra money in to performance to make money. I know it's a hell of a concept but ford and GM are in business to make money, not performance. There are people like us that want performance and that's why these type of cars are made. The fact that the 4th gen wasn't appealing no matter how much power it had is why there was an 8 year hiatus. To compare the 2 cars based on how closer they were to the competition is asinine. If 4th gens were ahead of their time they would have had on-star, heated seats, 6 speed auto, mag ride etc.... On the contrary, they were stuck in the past. Big motor. high hp, bare bones and cheap.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Dark SS
On the contrary, they were stuck in the past. Big motor. high hp, bare bones and cheap.
I agree. This is why I love them.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You guys love to pick and choose your arguments. The car was faster than the GT because Ford was selling the mustang with 260hp and didn't need to dump extra money in to performance to make money. I know it's a hell of a concept but ford and GM are in business to make money, not performance. There are people like us that want performance and that's why these type of cars are made. The fact that the 4th gen wasn't appealing no matter how much power it had is why there was an 8 year hiatus. To compare the 2 cars based on how closer they were to the competition is asinine. If 4th gens were ahead of their time they would have had on-star, heated seats, 6 speed auto, mag ride etc.... On the contrary, they were stuck in the past. Big motor. high hp, bare bones and cheap.
Oh snaps! First off I didn't realize I was posing an argument, or taking a stand point for that matter, little less being selective or "choosey" . I was attempting to state a fact, and I did do that. I simply said that ls1s were ahead of their time, and given the context of the conversation, it should have been apparent that I was speaking in terms of performance and overall bang for buck, not onstar capability and 6 speed auto lmao. Speaking of picking our arguments! Who here is comparing those things such as onstar availability and 6 speed autos?

On one hand you mention that sales mean something in the performance world, by purporting that the reason why the ls1 was ahead of it's time was because it was being out-sold by a car with a 100hp deficit (which is the point you so eloquently corrected me on)? I am not sure what your point was there. Since what I was talking about was performance, not how many woman and children decided to buy a Mustang .

Just to add to my point, look at today for example. The Camaro is outselling the Mustang, but which one is performing better at the track (ANY track, road course, or strip)? The same could not be said when comparing an ls1 fourth gen to a Mustang GT of the time. My point is that sales are not indicative of performance, and it would be absurd to suggest otherwise. Since the average consumer does not weigh maximum performance and mod potential as heavily as they do your beloved onstar, it's safe to say sales are obviously not connected to performance in the automotive market. That took me and two monkeys to figure out, very complex here. But for enthusiasts however, like I hope most of us are, performance and potential were the flavor of the day . Not sales, not onstar, and sure as hell not heated seats lol.

Like RPM already stated, that is why WE like them. If I wanted a car with the "me too" persona and if sales were a huge concern of mine, I'd drive a Corolla .

Just sayin'...

Last edited by oddwraith; 10-07-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

This turned into a 4th gen stroke fest.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Radically different cars in many ways, despite all they share. The 4th gen was juvenile where the 5th gen simply makes the driver feel youthful. The 5th gen is a MUCH nicer car to drive day in and day out. The performance gap is virtually non-existent now versus the massive advantage the 4th gen had. All the R&D money went into the powertrain and they got everything else from Cavaliers, trucks, etc. What's amazing is that they built a truly modern, world class car for 30 grand. I wish they could have made it lighter, and they could, but then it would've been a Corvette -- and 10-20k more expensive. The sales number bear out that folks like this car and that's good for us car guys. The LS3 is magic. I had a cammed LS3 in my 4th gen and it was sublime. Great cars, just aimed at slightly different people, especially with the age difference.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

Big motor. high hp, bare bones and cheap.
Thats the definition of what a camaro is suppose to be! Not heavy, high hp, 4 door platform, with more options than a ****** cadillac lol. The 5th gen is a very nice car, but does not replicate what the previous generations have. It's all good tho, gm had to do this in order to get sales up! The majority of people are strung out on big wheels, heated seats, quite ride, and all the bells and whistles... a true muscle car is the opposite of this, but that era died and does not sell unfortunately.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Not sales, not onstar, and sure as hell not heated seats lol.

Like RPM already stated, that is why WE like them.

The 4th gen is certainly not for everyone, I openly admit that. It's the newest car you could buy that still had an old car soul....and while this is not appealing to everyone, some of us are drawn to this.

Onstar is nothing to be proud of, IMO. There are already too many things that make us "trackable" to the government, I don't need one attached to my car as well. I'll have to disable that as soon as possibile if I buy a new(er) GM car.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

The 4th gen is certainly not for everyone, I openly admit that. It's the newest car you could buy that still had an old car soul....and while this is not appealing to everyone, some of us are drawn to this.
I think it's why they never sold well, I knew folks who bought Mustangs because the 4th gens flaws. GM has had the power plants covered, it's just putting them in to a car that the average buyer would want to live with on a daily basis. The Mustang was that car so it sold well. Most the guys who bought 4th gens either owned past F-cars or were performance enthusiasts, where as I think this new 5th gen that's not really the case, appeals to a lot broader scope of buyers as the sales numbers would indicate.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:57 AM
TECH Addict

The only problem w/ a 5th Gen to me is the weight thats why i bought the Vette and sold my 5th Gen Same motor 600 lbs lighter = Much Faster !

Quick Reply: 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*