Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark SS
No, it has been proven that the exceptional 4th gens are similar to the 5th gen norm with a normal person behind the wheel. It's the 4th gen hold outs that make me want to keep my car instead of getting that vette. I am still yet to run into a bolt-on 4th gen that can hang at a stop light race.
I think we would be a good race....pulled a 12.2 @ 120.5 w/ a 3.9sec 0-60mph lastnight on a g-tech... and multiple 12.3 passes w/ 4.0 0-60. Now before you flame the g-tech times lol, I have compared it to my local track on the same day and conditions. It was within a tenth on et but reads 5mph high on the trap speed.
Mods: 1 3/4 headers, flowmaster cb, slp lid/cai, ported tb, 1.85 rockers/ 918 springs, shift kit,stock converter, 3.73 gears, 315-35-17 toyo tq dr's, diablo tuned by me.
To bad your not closer, I would love to play!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama
but for those of us that want to throw some bolt-ons, a tune, and a cam on a Camaro... well, i'd gladly line a 5th gen up against the 4th gen guys with the same mods, especially with a stall and some DRs

a car being over weight doesn't mean jack **** if you still get the win light
Ill drag your with with my stock converter junk
Lol Im only joking man... Imo both 5th gen and 4th gens are very close performance wise with equal drivers

Last edited by kinglt-1; 09-18-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

My 99 would have wiped the floor with our l99 car from a stop in a straight line so I have to disagree where autos are concerned.

My 99s went 11s with bolt ons,no gutting,stock rims,stall and drag radials. Not sure if the l99 with the same mods could have done the same
Old 09-18-2011, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama
people have taken stalled L99s with a tune, cai, and NO headers and ran 12.30s on DRs...

11s with bolt-ons is VERY MUCH doable for a 5th gen... just as easy if not EASIER than a 4th gen.... like I said, until you start talking 450+whp and traction becomes a huge issue, the 5th gens are actually a good bit faster than the 4th gens... I'm not arguing for the IRS, once you get the IRS to about 450whp, it does start to get hampered in drag racing and the LS1 will catch it and surpass it in the modding game...

but for those of us that want to throw some bolt-ons, a tune, and a cam on a Camaro... well, i'd gladly line a 5th gen up against the 4th gen guys with the same mods, especially with a stall and some DRs

a car being over weight doesn't mean jack **** if you still get the win light
I'll take you up on that any day of the week, and you would lose, severely..... You wont get the win light, this is really getting amusing...... There are cam only 4th gens that are faster than 99% of fifth gens out there..... Weight means everything in drag racing... I have a bolt on auto also that I bet would spank a 5th gen like a little bitch.

And 4th gens are a Strut-type SLA (short arm long arm) which does handle better than regular macpherson strut type, it has more to do with chassis rigidity, and how it was executed in the f body.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I think we would be a good race....pulled a 12.2 @ 120.5 w/ a 3.9sec 0-60mph lastnight on a g-tech... and multiple 12.3 passes w/ 4.0 0-60. Now before you flame the g-tech times lol, I have compared it to my local track on the same day and conditions. It was within a tenth on et but reads 5mph high on the trap speed.
Mods: 1 3/4 headers, flowmaster cb, slp lid/cai, ported tb, 1.85 rockers/ 918 springs, shift kit,stock converter, 3.73 gears, 315-35-17 toyo tq dr's, diablo tuned by me.
To bad your not closer, I would love to play!
120 mph trap speed?? Trap definitely seems off with the Gtech. I'm trapping 114 at the most. No Limit raceway is a good meeting place.

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
thats because your not running into the right 4th gen. All it takes is a good driver and some sticky tires on it and the outcome you have been having, will be different.
Same can be said that you haven't ran into the right 5th gen. 99.5% of all 5th gens aren't the right 5th gen either. Most of the cars I have ran have been my friends on mikey's or nitto's both auto and 6 speed with decent drivers. The 4th gens out 60' by a bit but the 5th gen comes right around with mph. ****, I was door to door with an MS4 cammed 99 SS from a 40 roll. I've ran a 12.4 on a stock street tire. I don't know how you guys can knock that. Weight reduction and a decent tire and my goal is 11's.

Originally Posted by BADD SS
And 4th gens are a Strut-type SLA (short arm long arm) which does handle better than regular macpherson strut type, it has more to do with chassis rigidity, and how it was executed in the f body.
LOL @ 4th gen and chassis rigidity in the same sentence.

Last edited by Dark SS; 09-19-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This hole thing is joke, these guys cant come to turms with the truth! They keep calling it a heavy turd because thats the ONLY thing they have over them, less weight. Big freaking deal already, go check out camaro5... in the last 2 weeks there are a number of 10 and 9 sec 5th gens with killer setups coming out by guys that know what there doing! These cars are not gutted full blown drag cars either, it just took some time for these cars to start getting built.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

120 mph trap speed?? Trap definitely seems off with the Gtech. I'm trapping 114 at the most. No Limit raceway is a good meeting place.

Same can be said that you haven't ran into the right 5th gen. 99.5% of all 5th gens aren't the right 5th gen either. Most of the cars I have ran have been my friends on mikey's or nitto's both auto and 6 speed with decent drivers. The 4th gens out 60' by a bit but the 5th gen comes right around with mph. ****, I was door to door with an MS4 cammed 99 SS from a 40 roll. I've ran a 12.4 on a stock street tire. I don't know how you guys can knock that. Weight reduction and a decent tire and my goal is 11's.

Uhh I said the g-tech reads 5mph high lol...always has on every car it's been tested on because it reads actual mph and does not take an avg. like the track does. Fwiw I slightly pulled my brothers srt4 from a 40roll and he trapped 115 @ muncie dragway(that was before the tune and dr's). Im not knocking your car at all... 12.4 is movin, but I have went 12.5 on a street tire aswell. My point remains that the 5th gen and 4th gen are close in performance on bolton cars. My goal is 11's with a fti 3800 stall and NO weight reduction.

Last edited by kinglt-1; 09-19-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Uhh I said the g-tech reads 5mph high lol...always has on every car it's been tested on because it reads actual mph and does not take an avg. like the track does. Fwiw I slightly pulled my brothers srt4 from a 40roll and he trapped 115 @ muncie dragway(that was before the tune and dr's). Im not knocking your car at all... 12.4 is movin, but I have went 12.5 on a street tire aswell. My point remains that the 5th gen and 4th gen are close in performance on bolton cars. My goal is 11's with a fti 3800 stall and NO weight reduction.
I was agreeing with you about the Gtech. I have never used one. 12.5 is impressive and I'm not knocking that at all. L99 cars have gone 12.2's pretty regularly on stock tires/stall on Camaro 5 pretty often. I'll get you 60' was much better on that 12.5 pass than my 1.9. On average I'm saying a well set up bolt-on 5th gen is at least 3-4 tenths faster with an equal driver. Pretty much the same difference between an LT1 and LS1. Are you going to tell me that LT1's and LS1's are close?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

there is a 5th gen local that has a head and cam package that is "450rwhp".

he trapped slower then me without even opening my bottle..... and im just a lil old cam only ls1.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was agreeing with you about the Gtech. I have never used one. 12.5 is impressive and I'm not knocking that at all. L99 cars have gone 12.2's pretty regularly on stock tires/stall on Camaro 5 pretty often. I'll get you 60' was much better on that 12.5 pass than my 1.9. On average I'm saying a well set up bolt-on 5th gen is at least 3-4 tenths faster with an equal driver. Pretty much the same difference between an LT1 and LS1. Are you going to tell me that LT1's and LS1's are close?
the 12.5 run was on a 2.0 at 500da. The car is trapping like a mild cam car because it's curb weight is 3380. with its mods and a 1/4 tank of gas it sits around 3280. Part of the reason why I snatched up this 1sc stripper, it's almost 200lbs less than a full optioned slp ss or ws6 car. I have always liked the idea of going faster with less... its cheaper and a hell of alot easier on parts. Oh and yes some lt1's were close with some ls1's... same rules apply between 4th and 5th gens. I had a 96 m6 lt1 that trapped 105-106 with a cai and cat back. I beat some ls1's with it and got my *** handed to me by some aswell. Im a car enthusiast in general and not partial to just 4th gens, so please dont take my posts the wrong way. I like 5th gens, 5.0's, srt4's, 84-87 monte carlo SS, buick gn, buick regal GS, and all of the old school muscle.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
there is a 5th gen local that has a head and cam package that is "450rwhp".

he trapped slower then me without even opening my bottle..... and im just a lil old cam only ls1.
There's a head/cam 4th gen local to me that I put a football field on, cam only. Whats your point.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

the 12.5 run was on a 2.0 at 500da. The car is trapping like a mild cam car because it's curb weight is 3380. with its mods and a 1/4 tank of gas it sits around 3280. Part of the reason why I snatched up this 1sc stripper, it's almost 200lbs less than a full optioned slp ss or ws6 car. I have always liked the idea of going faster with less... its cheaper and a hell of alot easier on parts. Oh and yes some lt1's were close with some ls1's... same rules apply between 4th and 5th gens. I had a 96 m6 lt1 that trapped 105-106 with a cai and cat back. I beat some ls1's with it and got my *** handed to me by some aswell. Im a car enthusiast in general and not partial to just 4th gens, so please dont take my posts the wrong way. I like 5th gens, 5.0's, srt4's, 84-87 monte carlo SS, buick gn, buick regal GS, and all of the old school muscle.
I don't take any posts the wrong way. I can deal with this discussion and not get offended. I like 4th gens and had a few but since I spend most of my time at the road coarse and street I prefer the 5th gen. I realize that a lot of 5th gen owners have given most people the wrong impression. I was pissed like SweetC5 about a year ago but it is what it is. It's nice to see actual enthusiasts getting these car and getting involved now. DietCoke have given me a bunch of weigh savings ideas. Also, like SweetC5 said, there are some ridiculous cars coming out of the woodwork on Camaro5. Makes me think the future is bright once these flavor of the week owners start trailing off. Problem is that's a double edge sword because it's those people that make the 5th gen such a sales success.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't take any posts the wrong way. I can deal with this discussion and not get offended. I like 4th gens and had a few but since I spend most of my time at the road coarse and street I prefer the 5th gen. I realize that a lot of 5th gen owners have given most people the wrong impression. I was pissed like SweetC5 about a year ago but it is what it is. It's nice to see actual enthusiasts getting these car and getting involved now. DietCoke have given me a bunch of weigh savings ideas. Also, like SweetC5 said, there are some ridiculous cars coming out of the woodwork on Camaro5. Makes me think the future is bright once these flavor of the week owners start trailing off. Problem is that's a double edge sword because it's those people that make the 5th gen such a sales success.
Yea I agree with you... like you said things have changed some since more performance enthusiasts are getting thier hands on the 5th gen. As previously stated, if gm would only come out with a "stripped" m6 version. No keyless entry, security system, manual everything, cloth, 17-18" racing wheel, 3.90 gear option, factory headers w/ performance exhaust, I would be all over one! Just keep it a limited production, or factory order option, so us "enthusiasts" can have our cake and eat it too!
Old 09-20-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Are you kidding me dude, not in the same market... ever drive a vette, not a harsh ride but handles like a ****! Harsh and sports car handling does not mean two in the same, spend some time in a 5th gen or vette and you will see what I mean.
No not kidding at all . We are NOT in the same market, obviously! Ever drive a c6z?, it's not all that "soft" bro lol. But we're not talking about that, I'm talking about the fact that I don't mind loud, harsh (as you put it) or rough rides at all. You said you don't like the ride harshness, I am saying that is not a concern of mine. Therefore we are not in the same market. You don't have to prove to all of us why you bought your car dude (just seem a little insecure), like you said "be happy with what you got" .
Old 09-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I agree with you... like you said things have changed some since more performance enthusiasts are getting thier hands on the 5th gen. As previously stated, if gm would only come out with a "stripped" m6 version. No keyless entry, security system, manual everything, cloth, 17-18" racing wheel, 3.90 gear option, factory headers w/ performance exhaust, I would be all over one! Just keep it a limited production, or factory order option, so us "enthusiasts" can have our cake and eat it too!
This is kind of OT, but I know the 1LE, 1SC were light-weight stripper style cars. Did the B4C 4th gens come in at a lighter curb weight as well? It's cool that packages like that used to be a common thing.

I've said the same thing on another f-body forum over and over back before the 5th gen was being produced. Give us a package with lighter 18" wheels, lighter exhaust, no power windows, locks, alarm, etc. This certainly wouldn't appeal to the masses which is why it doesn't exist today. I would have been all over it though.

I bought as close as I could to a stripper, no-options SS. My car is just a Summit White 1SS (LS3/M6) with black interior, and no extras. It's a pretty simple looking car compared to most and it's going to stay that way other then being debadged and wheels and tint. I'm keeping it stock until the beginning of 2012 and letting the new-ness wear off. Then I'm going to start with suspension and bolt-ons. I'm going to go down in wheel size, most likely 18's with a 305 DR on the rear. From there, I'll probably go with a mild cam to keep it streetable and stop there, hopefully in the mid 11's.

Good looking car in your sig btw, King. TTM's look good.

Last edited by wise690; 09-20-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wise690
This is kind of OT, but I know the 1LE, 1SC were light-weight stripper style cars. Did the B4C 4th gens come in at a lighter curb weight as well? It's cool that packages like that used to be a common thing.

I've said the same thing on another f-body forum over and over back before the 5th gen was being produced. Give us a package with lighter 18" wheels, lighter exhaust, no power windows, locks, alarm, etc. This certainly wouldn't appeal to the masses which is why it doesn't exist today. I would have been all over it though.

I bought as close as I could to a stripper, no-options SS. My car is just a Summit White 1SS (LS3/M6) with black interior, and no extras. It's a pretty simple looking car compared to most and it's going to stay that way other then being debadged and wheels and tint. I'm keeping it stock until the beginning of 2012 and letting the new-ness wear off. Then I'm going to start with suspension and bolt-ons. I'm going to go down in wheel size, most likely 18's with a 305 DR on the rear. From there, I'll probably go with a mild cam to keep it streetable and stop there, hopefully in the mid 11's.

Good looking car in your sig btw, King. TTM's look good.
Thanks man! Im not sure if the b4c's were lighter than base or not...but it's nice to know there are others out there thinking along the same line as me. I gurantee a 1le/1sc 5th gen release would change the hearts of many nay sayers... It's cool what gm did with the 5th gen to get sales, but they forgot about the enthusiasts that want a all out performance car. Just give me the basics and get rid of all the fancy **** that has driven the sticker price up to 40K... I don't need 20's, fancy projector lights, center console that looks like a space ship, 10 way power seats, or navigation....thats what cadillacs are for!!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man! Im not sure if the b4c's were lighter than base or not...but it's nice to know there are others out there thinking along the same line as me. I gurantee a 1le/1sc 5th gen release would change the hearts of many nay sayers... It's cool what gm did with the 5th gen to get sales, but they forgot about the enthusiasts that want a all out performance car. Just give me the basics and get rid of all the fancy **** that has driven the sticker price up to 40K... I don't need 20's, fancy projector lights, center console that looks like a space ship, 10 way power seats, or navigation....thats what cadillacs are for!!
I think the Z28 will be pretty close to what you're talking about with a bump in power too. At least I hope so.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

And a big bump in the $40K price too....
Old 09-20-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

B4Cs were tad lighter-no speakers in the trunk.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

Lets be real, no car is "optioned" like we would like because we are all different in our wants. Thats why we mod for the intended purpose. My 1SS was less then 30K with an $800 incentive. I bought it bare bones with the electronics package to have a good base to build on.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*