Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Talking

I agree, the bowties are obnoxious -- bring back the Corvette-like Camaro logos of yesteryear!

4th Gen hatchbacks actually make them much more functional/practical than 5th Gens -- I've taken a couple sheets of drywall a very short distance in one! LOL

Originally Posted by safemode
It's a name grab. Plain and simple. If GM wasn't in such financial trouble they may have risked actually naming it something new but they are.

The look and ride of a camaro isn't supposed to be for everyone. You're not _supposed_ to not feel like you're going 130mph when you are. And I'm sorry. But I dont care what the 1st gen camaro looked like. For 30 years it had a hatch. A glorious hatch that removed nearly any hope of trunk space over the solid rear axle. The camaro is a car for people who dont need a damn trunk for anything that wouldn't fit as carry-on in a plane. This zeta body camaro is as close to a camaro as a corvette is. Also. F this stupid bow-tie crap on the hood. Camaro emblem it is _NOT_.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BADD SS
Was that with the 698 rwhp nitrous motor you grenaded?

Is that what it takes for a 5th gen to run 11.29@ 129??????
I did that @ 578 wheel on a 1.96 60 foot because the car squatted so hard it sat the drag wheels on the control arm and bogged and died, and broke the next pass. Your point? The car will easy mid/low 10s on the new motor with the auto N/A. Sorry my cam + power adder time was too slow for you on its only pass @ the strip.

These cars are plenty fast once you take a chunk of weight out. The LS3 is an amazing motor, a lot of people just don't want to hack into the car like the LS1 crowd does. That, and a lot of the tech and parts is/are still being developed. You can piece together an entire aftermarket 4th gen out of 20 different manufacturer's catalogs and not use one OEM part... but that's what 19 years of parts development have gotten the 4th gen. Good luck with that on the 5th gen, it's like starting from scratch all over again on the chassis side.

Last edited by DietCoke; 09-23-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Very well said. Interesting perspective about the mainstream angle...

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm not exactly sure what he was getting at either, but I can tell you this: The 5th gen will be dismissed by the trendy-modern people when/if a 6th gen is released. Every arguement you make for current 5th gen superiority will be negated by a 6th gen (more refinement, better performance [presumably], newer technology, etc.). When a car is chasing after mainstream and/or trendy buyers, it's very nature is to not attract buyers who will be loyal to that specific car once something newer is released. This is why most older, mainstream cars have very little following or interest once they are no longer on the cutting edge of technology.

Non-mainstream cars (like Corvette, for example) usually have very loyal followings for each specific generation, since many of the people that buy these cars can appreciate them for more than just their temporary status as the latest offering, respective to their era. I'm not sure that the 5th gens will enjoy this level of loyalty from their owners, since many of you will probably drop them for a newer 6th gen if/when released and as soon as you can afford it.

The reasons why I like my 4th gens are reasons that won't go away or be negated by a newer car, no matter how many generations are released. The same cannot be said for many of the reasons why you prefer a 5th gen, which simply means that eventually you'll be making many of the same arguements for why the 6th gen is better (unless it becomes a FWD POS), should one be released. In other words, the 5th gen is great to you now, but how will you feel several years down the road?

100k miles on my '02 car. One power window motor went out @ 95k. Only one squeak/rattle, from the passenger side t-top in cold weather. If the car was a hardtop, it would be squeak free. Just my experience.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

Wink

That is the thing though, isn't it -- Zeta is short-lived, lightweight Alpha will be the 6th Gen, and is also for the Cadillac ATS as I recall... F-Body had a longer life on Camaros...

Originally Posted by DietCoke
These cars are plenty fast once you take a chunk of weight out. The LS3 is an amazing motor, a lot of people just don't want to hack into the car like the LS1 crowd does. That, and a lot of the tech and parts is/are still being developed. You can piece together an entire aftermarket 4th gen out of 20 different manufacturer's catalogs and not use one OEM part... but that's what 19 years of parts development have gotten the 4th gen. Good luck with that on the 5th gen, it's like starting from scratch all over again on the chassis side.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 09-23-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:06 AM
10 Second Club

Alpha is promising, but it's still going to be nearly as heavy as zeta, because they keep adding size and bullshit to it. the ATS is currently pushing 4k, and we probably wont see a camaro on the platform until my15.

One of the 5th gen's biggest misses are the trans/rear combo. The A6 is junk past 500rwhp, and the M6 ratios are horrible (3rd gear to 102, 4th gear to 170mph). I really feel if Chevrolet implemented the MT-82 gearset in the 6060, the manuals would pick up 4 tenths in the quarter mile. The 6L80 autos are just junk, it's either swap to 4l80 or keep grenading trannys. That and they're saddled with DOD and AFM from the factory, what a nightmare.

I really like the 5.0 cars, ford really hit all the key points to a cheap muscle car, but I can't be bothered to buy one, cammed LS cars just kick too much ***

Last edited by DietCoke; 09-23-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5th gens dont mph at all.... not from every one ive seen at the track....
And you wonder why I don't bother to read your posts. Saying 5th gens can't mph is like saying 4th gens can't 60'.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

And you wonder why your car is a slow boat! Diet coke, at least you admit the a6 sucks, its a start.

Originally Posted by Dark SS
And you wonder why I don't bother to read your posts. Saying 5th gens can't mph is like saying 4th gens can't 60'.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Still waiting for these almighty 11 sec bolt-on 4th gens to come kick my ***.... I don't know why you have such a stick crammed up your *** on the 5th gen but you built a racecar dude. You no longer have a Camaro. But keep trying to prove your point, I think you almost have us convinced.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still waiting for these almighty 11 sec bolt-on 4th gens to come kick my ***.... I don't know why you have such a stick crammed up your *** on the 5th gen but you built a racecar dude. You no longer have a Camaro. But keep trying to prove your point, I think you almost have us convinced.
+1. Real open minded business owner. He only works on 4th gens?
Old 09-23-2011, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

And you wonder why your car is a slow boat! Diet coke, at least you admit the a6 sucks, its a start.
Why do you think there's a 4L80 with a brake in my car now? Look through this thread all you want, I'm hardly a 5th gen fanboy, and continue to say that the 5.0 mustang is the better car from the factory. That being said, I love mine, and plan to keep it a long time.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Still waiting for these almighty 11 sec bolt-on 4th gens to come kick my ***.... I don't know why you have such a stick crammed up your *** on the 5th gen but you built a race car dude. You no longer have a Camaro. But keep trying to prove your point, I think you almost have us convinced.
This is just ridiculous now, so what it's a tube chassis car???? I guess the fact I drive it every day to work (IF it's not raining/snowing) makes it a total racecar....... All I said in the beginning was that I like the 5th gen looks, but it's too heavy for me to consider it. Then the 5th gen fanboi's jumped on me, and yes I responded back harshly. But nothing you clowns say will make me want your car. And if you cant accept the fact that there are cam only LS1 f bodies in the 10's, then you are just lost....... Hell Promod1955's car went 11.05 stock internals....

Dietcoke, the only example im making with your ride, is that with all that power, and weight reduction, it still only traps 129....
Old 09-24-2011, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by glennster
+1. Real open minded business owner. He only works on 4th gens?
If you are talking about me then no, not only 4th gens...

But I also own a WELDING shop, not a Performance shop. That is sidework......
Old 09-24-2011, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

This is just ridiculous now, so what it's a tube chassis car???? I guess the fact I drive it every day to work (IF it's not raining/snowing) makes it a total racecar....... All I said in the beginning was that I like the 5th gen looks, but it's too heavy for me to consider it. Then the 5th gen fanboi's jumped on me, and yes I responded back harshly. But nothing you clowns say will make me want your car. And if you cant accept the fact that there are cam only LS1 f bodies in the 10's, then you are just lost....... Hell Promod1955's car went 11.05 stock internals....

Dietcoke, the only example im making with your ride, is that with all that power, and weight reduction, it still only traps 129....
590 rwhp and 3900 pounds trapping 129 is about right when you bog the car off the line. My lt1 car went a tenth slower, but it only trapped 116 (auto, 4.10s). 129 is enough for deep 10s. The problem is the gearing in the car, not the raceweight.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DietCoke
590 rwhp and 3900 pounds trapping 129 is about right when you bog the car off the line. My lt1 car went a tenth slower, but it only trapped 116 (auto, 4.10s). 129 is enough for deep 10s. The problem is the gearing in the car, not the raceweight.

ehh, I dont know about the whole bogging thing, Ive bogged launches, spun hard, and had perfect runs and all the mph's were within 1-2. Maybe im just lucky...

I thought you were less than 3900?

I do like what you are doing with it however, dont get me wrong. It's the "I have a stock 5th gen that will rape your 10 year old car" mentality that gets me riled.....
Old 09-24-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now we're all clowns because you're incapable of a rational discussion? I never once have said anything about wanting you to get a 5th gen, I have enough morons with their heads in their *** that I have to deal with. I am also not a 5th gen fanboi either. When did I argue about 10 sec cam only LS1's exist? They're out there but they're not the norm. For every 10 sec cam only LS1 there are hundreds of 12 sec cam only LS1's. Can you accept that?
Old 09-24-2011, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

And you're incapable of reading so thats fine by me. Sure there are a bunch of 12 sec, cam only ls1's out there... There are also tons of people who cant drive to save their life, and even more who mess their cars up when doing said cam swap, so it really is a moot point. But I'll Accept that.

You are a funny dude, i'll give you that. From your posts you seem pretty fanboi - ish.

Now we're all clowns because you're incapable of a rational discussion? I never once have said anything about wanting you to get a 5th gen, I have enough morons with their heads in their *** that I have to deal with. I am also not a 5th gen fanboi either. When did I argue about 10 sec cam only LS1's exist? They're out there but they're not the norm. For every 10 sec cam only LS1 there are hundreds of 12 sec cam only LS1's. Can you accept that?
Old 09-24-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

And you're incapable of reading so thats fine by me. Sure there are a bunch of 12 sec, cam only ls1's out there... There are also tons of people who cant drive to save their life, and even more who mess their cars up when doing said cam swap, so it really is a moot point. But I'll Accept that.

You are a funny dude, i'll give you that. From your posts you seem pretty fanboi - ish.
No, I'm pretty sure I can read what you post but I can't even accept your argument with the lack of factual information used. If I'm a fanboi I'd hate to know what that makes you. I guess by your train of thought it's OK for 4th gens to have bad drivers because they are gifts from god but all 5th gens are slow pieces of ****. Is that it?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Wink

Well you did start http://chicago5thgen.com so that kinda makes you a fanboy, right? LOL

Pretty hard not to be a Camaro fan, though, regardless of generation...

No, I'm pretty sure I can read what you post but I can't even accept your argument with the lack of factual information used. If I'm a fanboi I'd hate to know what that makes you. I guess by your train of thought it's OK for 4th gens to have bad drivers because they are gifts from god but all 5th gens are slow pieces of ****. Is that it?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:59 AM
10 Second Club

ehh, I dont know about the whole bogging thing, Ive bogged launches, spun hard, and had perfect runs and all the mph's were within 1-2. Maybe im just lucky...

I thought you were less than 3900?

I do like what you are doing with it however, dont get me wrong. It's the "I have a stock 5th gen that will rape your 10 year old car" mentality that gets me riled.....
Do you know how long ago it was when I ran that 11.2? Lol... ages... that was like the second race weekend of the year in this part of the country. Put it this way, the car dead hooked a 1.96 60 foot and damn near punched a hole in the backside of my welds (metal control arm on metal wheel barrel parking brake action). 3900 was with me in it (240 at the time). It's about a hundred fifty lighter now.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:18 AM
10 Second Club

IF there is one thing I have it's factual information.... I especially love how I had to tell fifth gen owners in here that your cars ARE more than 300 lbs heavier than 4th gens.... "only 4th gens have bad drivers" nope, it applies to 5th gens as well, keep putting words in my mouth though... And if you could read, you wouldnt have made that statement a couple posts back.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*