Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5th gens just look cheap to me... they look like a cheap matchbox car. And even though the technical H/W/L measurements aren't too much bigger than a 4th gen, they look like cross over SUV's compared to 4th gens.

4th gen has no styling? LOL 4th gens are one of the sleekest, stealthiest looking cars around. Like someone said earlier in that comparison picture, the 4th gen still looks current. I don't think it will ever go out of style.

Out of the Mustang, Challenger, & Camaro, the Camaro definitely is the worst looking IMO. I think Challenger nailed the modern-retro throwback in the looks department.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Banned

Oh and as for a DD goes, give me a newer GTO.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry but in my opinion no other car on earth is as pretty as 4th gen F-bodies..
Im not saying that because I own one , I own one because I truly believe it..
I think the 5th gens look like fat chicks compared to 4th gens.. I would own an F-body over a vette as in looks , but id never get a 5th gen over a vette.. they dont compare ..
they are pretty cars , I just cant compare anything with 4th gens , sorry ..
Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

It's a name grab. Plain and simple. If GM wasn't in such financial trouble they may have risked actually naming it something new but they are.

The look and ride of a camaro isn't supposed to be for everyone. You're not _supposed_ to not feel like you're going 130mph when you are. And I'm sorry. But I dont care what the 1st gen camaro looked like. For 30 years it had a hatch. A glorious hatch that removed nearly any hope of trunk space over the solid rear axle. The camaro is a car for people who dont need a damn trunk for anything that wouldn't fit as carry-on in a plane. This zeta body camaro is as close to a camaro as a corvette is. Also. F this stupid bow-tie crap on the hood. Camaro emblem it is _NOT_.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned

_Huh?_ ^
Old 02-10-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like 5th gens, wish they were lighter and a little smaller.... They perform better then any 4th Gen that was made.... Are you people really gonna say you bought your 4th gens for looks...... or performance? I like 4th gens, but to say they are the best looking care... Looks are opinions anyways.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cemlsx
sorry but in my opinion no other car on earth is as pretty as 4th gen F-bodies..
Im not saying that because I own one , I own one because I truly believe it..
I think the 5th gens look like fat chicks compared to 4th gens.. I would own an F-body over a vette as in looks , but id never get a 5th gen over a vette.. they dont compare ..
they are pretty cars , I just cant compare anything with 4th gens , sorry ..
I like how you think, but you are a fanboy...not according to me though!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by safemode
The look and ride of a camaro isn't supposed to be for everyone. You're not _supposed_ to not feel like you're going 130mph when you are
so true , otherwise everyones mother would be driving one am I right ?
I dont care if my car isnt practical or has an uncomfortable car , thats not the reason I bought it.. It turns heads , and most importantly makes me feel good , unlike other people , It makes me care about my car , wash it , detail it , and feel sad even if there was a little scratch on it.

and Chaman , your car is one of those F-bodies which reminds me how beautiful 4th gens are ..

yes they arent perfect , dont have the best engineering , or highest quality , but they are damn fast , and anyone who says they dont have style , should be shot
13 years past , they are noticed just as much as 2011 cars , and at most times even more.. all cars look good when they're out new , Its about keeping that cool after years and years.. sorry if i upset anyone guys
Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,665 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
Are you people really gonna say you bought your 4th gens for looks...... or performance?
Both. I would not buy a car that didn't look good to me, no matter how well it performed. (and I bought two 4th gens brand new, so I clearly like them enough to pay MSRP level money)

On that note, I don't have a V6 4th gen and I wouldn't go shopping for a V6 5th gen either. Not because the cars don't look good enough without the performance, but because I see no reason to settle for less stock performance when more is readily available. Having said that, I do like the 4th gens enough that I would own a V6 version if I needed a car and the deal was good enough, and the same would probably be true for a 5th gen; but I would never purposely seek out a V6 car, in either generation.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ true , the only reason I have a V6 is because Its all I could find back in the day.. but with the way it looks , most people think its fast anyway
Old 02-10-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha !!!! You guys are funny.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Different cars for different people.

One aspect I love about the LS1 Camaros is the raw, unrefined feel of them. These are muscle cars, and they should feel like it, IMO. I don't need big fluffy seats and BMW-esque suspension components to soften the ride; I'm not a girly man I don't need new gadgets and settings just to add to my driving experience, a'la much of the new 5th gen features. OnStar is one of them; GM NEEDS to give the consumer the option to opt out of OnStar. I don't need, nor want, eighty different airbags and sensors all over the place in my vehicle - and it seems the gov't keeps adding to the requirements each year. Granted, the 4th gens have some technology I could do without, but nowhere near that of the extensively computerized 5th gen Camaro.

And coming from me, I'm not a "mainstream" guy, by any means. I can't stand when people buy things just because they're popular at the moment - notice my avatar to the left, with regards to "The North Face."

Having driven both cars, the 5th Gen is simply way too "popularized" for me at this moment in time. Like a previous poster said, it's as if everyone and their sister has a new V6 5th gen, and I'm already a little tired of seeing them on the road, unless it's a real clean SS with some unique aspects. And is it just me or do about 50% of all 5th gens have racing stripes? Regardless, the 5th gens are not for me - at least for the next few years. I'm unsure as to whether I would have felt the same way about the 4th gens in their heyday, because I only caught the tail end of it.

This is not to say I don't like the 5th gen Camaro - because I do, and I'm happy to see the continuation of large displacement RWD cars, but I think they're trying too hard to make these so called "muscle cars" perform like Ferrari's on a budget, which was never the original philosophy of the older days.

As for the styling comparison of the 4th and 5th gens, that's completely subjective. I find that cars grow on my over time, but it's also possible to get disgusted by seeing them so often - like the '05-'10 Mustang, IMO. Also, I should mention that I like the styling of the Challenger a bit better, folks.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,665 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bronx Bull
I don't need new gadgets and settings just to add to my driving experience, a'la much of the new 5th gen features. OnStar is one of them; GM NEEDS to give the consumer the option to opt out of OnStar. I don't need, nor want, eighty different airbags and sensors all over the place in my vehicle - and it seems the gov't keeps adding to the requirements each year. Granted, the 4th gens have some technology I could do without, but nowhere near that of the extensively computerized 5th gen Camaro.

And coming from me, I'm not a "mainstream" guy, by any means. I can't stand when people buy things just because they're popular at the moment - notice my avatar to the left, with regards to "The North Face."

Having driven both cars, the 5th Gen is simply way too "popularized" for me at this moment in time. Like a previous poster said, it's as if everyone and their sister has a new V6 5th gen, and I'm already a little tired of seeing them on the road, unless it's a real clean SS with some unique aspects. And is it just me or do about 50% of all 5th gens have racing stripes? Regardless, the 5th gens are not for me - at least for the next few years.

This is not to say I don't like the 5th gen Camaro - because I do, and I'm happy to see the continuation of large displacement RWD cars, but I think they're trying too hard to make these so called "muscle cars" perform like Ferrari's on a budget, which was never the original philosophy of the older days.
My feelings exactly.

One aspect I love about the LS1 Camaros is the raw, unrefined feel of them. These are muscle cars, and they should feel like it, IMO. I don't need big fluffy seats and BMW-esque suspension components to soften the ride; I'm not a girly man
While I agree completely with this, I have to admit that 4th gen F-bodies have luxury-like ride quality compared to my Nova. Multi-leaf springs with traction bars and drum brakes on an old X-body chassis will put serious hair on your chest. It's like driving a forklift with an SBC.... and I love it.

I'm unsure as to whether I would have felt the same way about the 4th gens in their heyday, because I only caught the tail end of it.
I have some interesting observations about this, coming from a like-minded person who was in the thick of LS1 4th gens since they were first introduced. I found myself in a situation where I've never been before or since; where my automotive interest was inline with some trendy-modern types who only cared for the then-new LS1 4th gens because of the LS1 (and because they were new). Those people have since moved on, but I'm still here with my 4th gens, as usual.

At the time, I liked the 4th gens because they were the only new cars that offered everything I wanted and very little that I didn't. And today they're about as modern as you can get while still feeling old in many ways (this is a HUGE plus to me, but not to most others). Incredible stock performance (especially for it's era, but still excellent by today's standards) in a car with very little complications, gagets or fluff....that's right up my alley.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-11-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dark SS
The 4th gen has no styling what so ever, unless you get the WS.6 with it's boy racer looks and rediculous wing. I loved the WS.6 when it first came out but it really does nothing for me. To say a 5th gen isn't a Camaro is a joke. The 5th gen is the best Camaro yet. It's a car you can drive and not feel like you were punished. Looks, performance, ride, comfort and value are all in the 5th gens favor.

5th Gens are a dime a dozen, although I won't say as bad as a Mustang.
WS6 birds are a rare breed!!!!!! That's nice that you don't feel "punished", but that's a little harsh.
Get a damn BMW for plush heated vagina ticklers.

Put it like this, you buy these cars primarily for a performance/sporty ride aspect. I have test drove the new Camaro and it felt like I was driving a glorified V6. Yeah you want modest comfort, but you don't want to feel like you are driving an underpowered(in relation to 4000lbs), disconnected poser of a boat either.

Now when the new ZL1 Camaro comes out, that's a whole other story. You should have saved your money. And don't you ever rag on the WS6 ever again...jk, I am a little biased.

Let's not forget what the movie Transformers did for a lot of the 5th gens in terms of sales.
I am glad the Camaro made a return nontheless, but it could have been a lot better than it is right now.
I hope GM gets it right on the next try.

Oh yeah and WS6= Beast, never forget that, There is a reason it made such an impression on you.

Last edited by jthunderz28; 02-11-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

It's funny, for the same exact reasons a lot of you are bashing on the 5th gen....are the same reasons it's selling as well as it is. Exactly how many 5th gens do you think GM would sell if they didn't have a more refined suspension, more electronics and the creature comforts? You have to realize there are a lot more buyers that want those options, than ones who don't. I have owned a lot of cars over the years and I mean a lot, but my 5th gen is by far my favorite.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Different cars for different people.

One aspect I love about the LS1 Camaros is the raw, unrefined feel of them. These are muscle cars, and they should feel like it, IMO. I don't need big fluffy seats and BMW-esque suspension components to soften the ride; I'm not a girly man I don't need new gadgets and settings just to add to my driving experience, a'la much of the new 5th gen features. OnStar is one of them; GM NEEDS to give the consumer the option to opt out of OnStar. I don't need, nor want, eighty different airbags and sensors all over the place in my vehicle - and it seems the gov't keeps adding to the requirements each year. Granted, the 4th gens have some technology I could do without, but nowhere near that of the extensively computerized 5th gen Camaro.

^ said it perfectly ..

and btw yes they might be selling well , only because they are so popular , they have been twisted out of their original meaning.. a Camaro isnt supposed to be for everyone .. soooo the 4th gen had bad sales and they were discontinued , does that make them a bad car ? they still turn heads , and perform like beasts.. sales are only a part of it if you ask me ..
Old 02-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Banned

Honestly the body styling isn't bad overall... if only they made it much less tall and much sleeker.. streamlined some of the body lines a bit more. It's just too bulky looking.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

TRANSFORMERS the movie... we thank you. Now the camaro can actually compete with the mustang sales wise.

Oh mighty BUMBLEBEE... we thank you for what you have done for GM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied
It's funny, for the same exact reasons a lot of you are bashing on the 5th gen....are the same reasons it's selling as well as it is. Exactly how many 5th gens do you think GM would sell if they didn't have a more refined suspension, more electronics and the creature comforts? You have to realize there are a lot more buyers that want those options, than ones who don't. I have owned a lot of cars over the years and I mean a lot, but my 5th gen is by far my favorite.

Exactly, it's like people bitching about Fuel Injection or ABS. GM didn't update the 4th gen at all other that power train for quite some time. The 4th had low sales numbers for a reason. It was an out of date car and GM learned from that. When I used to road trip in my 4th gen I would have to stop every couple hours to get feeling back in my ***. I drove my 5th gen from Georgia to IL with one gas stop and could have driven more. It seems like everyone likes the 5th gen other than 4th gen hold outs that refuse to give it a chance.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*