Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I hear you , but I believe what causes that is the SOME of the 5th gen owners on this site wont admit that some people are just happy with their 4th gens and/or dont like the 5th gen enough to get one . But only carry on to talk about how their car is more superior and 4th gens all of a sudden suck , simply because of the 5th gen being a bit quicker , more modern (comfortable , quiet , better interior etc) .

Seriously , Just enjoy your car , who cares what other people think. I wouldnt buy a 5th gen and I wont , I dont bitch about the car , I just dont care for it . a C5 , C6 , a 4th gen Trans Am or even a 5.0 mustang are a different story , the 5th gen just doesnt appeal to me . Both cars are fast no doubt , could the 5th gen be faster stock ? YES , could it perform better if it was lighter ? YES , could it have been more attractive ? HELL YES , but not everyone has to agree with that , so if you have a 5th gen and you like it , just enjoy your car .
if you have a 4th gen and dont like the 5th gen , let the 5th gen guys be happy , they obviously think differently .
Old 02-24-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by glennster
You got what you want, thats what I'm talking about. I like the 4th gens to but wouldn't go back because they could have done better on the rear axle, window motors, flexing chassis, single exhaust, gas tank placement, clutch, junk interior, converter hump elimination, engine access, piston slap, oil useage. That enough?
Everything bolded is a non-issue for me. I don't burn oil, I don't care about the hump, don't mind the exhaust that much (and can always still go true dual, little harder but can be done) and I haven't had any window motors go on me yet...although they are waaaay slow lol. I also don't mind the interior and seats (in the T/A at least) at all, I wasn't looking for a jaguar. Rear axle does suck, but at least it's not irs. Also, in a a4 car ... the 10 bolt is just fine and has very little parasitic loss. The reasons you said you wouldn't go back don't add up to me. To me, if you just rather one over the other then that is one thing, but to list all the little crap like it's a deal breaker, is a little over-the-top imo. I don't mind the fifth gens, but the ones I have been in (including an slp supercharged one) don't do it for me, at all. I feel like I'm in a squished can with slits for windows, they feel heavy, and they are way too popular on the streets to grab any attention, including mine. Just opinions, and we all have them.

Originally Posted by Dark SS
The 4th gen guys will never admit that the 5th gen is considerably faster from the factory and keeps the advantage when both cars are lightly modded. They stick to their guns because they beat one driven by a 65 year old man who has driven a camry for the last 20 years. I don't know why everyone continues to argue about this. Realize that you're not going to change anybody's mind and move on. It seems ever couple months a new 4th gen guy has to prove his car doesn't suck so he bumps the thread with some negative comment.
I'm a fourth gen guy, and I will admit that stock for stock the fifth gen is faster. There, that help you out on that one? Just don't really like them too much and they are not faster "enough" than a fourth gen to make me consider it a better pony car...because it is not a better pony car. More refined, sure. A little faster/quicker, certainly. What I'm looking for in a pony car, nope! Newer isn't always better to many people, and price isn't always an object. Too bad you don't get that and would rather lump "fourth gen guys" all together, and pit them against what you consider fifth gen guys. You are projecting, and not everyone feels that way.
Originally Posted by Britt2020
This thread is like a hot date with herpes...You know you shouldn’t enter, but here we are.

I am a Gen 4 guy. When I pass one that has a rumble to it, a pit # shoe polished on the glass or one just simply set up nice, they always ****** my attention. My wife makes fun of me for this, because she thinks they look like a Dodge Intrepid. The white trash pumping through my veins refuses to let go of the Catfish.

This being said, comparing them to the 5th Gen. is not fair. Not stock for stock, not mod for mod. And I'm just talking about the power output, the ability to move itself down the track or street. 4th Gen. owners, such as myself have nothing to hang head about. My 4th Gen. is paid for, mods and new motor has me with approx. 20k in it. My 5th Gen. is not paid for and was about 28k(brand new). My 4th Gen. is way faster for far less money, but is very moded. The Gen. 5 shocked me with how much power it actually does have. Once the warranty is up I will begin the mods. I can’t find it in myself to even mention the ride, handling, braking, ergonomics, engine accessibility, etc.... because my 4th Gen, just won’t add up.

I don’t understand why my fellow 4th Geners are boasting these silly claims that their stock 4th Gen. outperforms a stock 5th Gen. it isn’t possible. If you want to tell that to your friends, the guys at work or the neighborhood kids that’s cool, they will probably buy it. But don’t get on the most popular LS based forum in the world and make claims like this. It makes you look unknowledgeable and hurts the validity of anything else you post.

When I ask a question about something on here and someone gives me an idea or an answer, I go back and look at their past post to see if they are just some opinionated blow hard or if they actually have some knowledge to share. There are allot of post in this thread that I would look at and question the validity of any information I received from them, because it is obvious that this person is out of touch with reality. I figured this thread would have been locked by now. It seems to be leading to nowhere and has served very little purpose
I didn't notice anyone saying that a fourth gen is stock for stock faster than a fifth gen. I guess I didn't really read all the posts though. Lid and catback alone evens it up enough that the point is moot. As far as handling goes, my car provides enough of that for a summer cruiser ( and I can't even exhaust what it IS capable of). Throw on some suspension pieces if you like, but I don't care much about high speed cornering beyond what this car already does. The fifth gens aren't eveyone's cup of soup, that is all.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cemlsx
^ I hear you , but I believe what causes that is the SOME of the 5th gen owners on this site wont admit that some people are just happy with their 4th gens and/or dont like the 5th gen enough to get one . But only carry on to talk about how their car is more superior and 4th gens all of a sudden suck , simply because of the 5th gen being a bit quicker , more modern (comfortable , quiet , better interior etc) .

Seriously , Just enjoy your car , who cares what other people think. I wouldnt buy a 5th gen and I wont , I dont bitch about the car , I just dont care for it . a C5 , C6 , a 4th gen Trans Am or even a 5.0 mustang are a different story , the 5th gen just doesnt appeal to me . Both cars are fast no doubt , could the 5th gen be faster stock ? YES , could it perform better if it was lighter ? YES , could it have been more attractive ? HELL YES , but not everyone has to agree with that , so if you have a 5th gen and you like it , just enjoy your car .
if you have a 4th gen and dont like the 5th gen , let the 5th gen guys be happy , they obviously think differently .
Good points .
Old 02-24-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As again, I had a brand new 2000 Z28 M6 I put on an SLP lid/flowmaster cat back and ordered chrome 17" 10 spoke wheels from SLP and put on new khumo's. Car ran 13.3@106.5 with a 2.1 60' consistantly and later went mid 11's right at 118 on a drag radial/factory weight, cam only.
My '11 go's easy 12.7-12.8 at or over 111 with a 2.0 60' bone freakin stock.
The car rides better, drives better, is quicker/faster, more comfortable, quieter, more stable and not to mention fun to drive. You 4th gen nut swingers keep up the faith and keep hating a 400 horse, V8, manual trans coupe that kicks ***. I remember when corvette and cobalt was the only choices the general had there for some years.
I'm amazed how people refuse to be happy with anything.
Well agreed ^ I had 4 4th gens and loved them, but i feel like the 5th gens are built way better, def more of a stout car, not saying i didnt love my 4ths too, i give GM props for building these awesome cars!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=oddwraith;16006372]Everything bolded is a non-issue for me. I don't burn oil, I don't care about the hump, don't mind the exhaust that much (and can always still go true dual, little harder but can be done) and I haven't had any window motors go on me yet...although they are waaaay slow lol. I also don't mind the interior and seats (in the T/A at least) at all, I wasn't looking for a jaguar. Rear axle does suck, but at least it's not irs. Also, in a a4 car ... the 10 bolt is just fine and has very little parasitic loss. The reasons you said you wouldn't go back don't add up to me. To me, if you just rather one over the other then that is one thing, but to list all the little crap like it's a deal breaker, is a little over-the-top imo. I don't mind the fifth gens, but the ones I have been in (including an slp supercharged one) don't do it for me, at all. I feel like I'm in a squished can with slits for windows, they feel heavy, and they are way too popular on the streets to grab any attention, including mine. Just opinions, and we all have them.[QUOTE]

Like you said, opinion, and these things are a deal breaker for me, if you can deal, great. In a 4th I feel like I'm in a rattle trap tin can sitting on the ground much less after an hour drive I can't walk.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like you said, opinion, and these things are a deal breaker for me, if you can deal, great. In a 4th I feel like I'm in a rattle trap tin can sitting on the ground much less after an hour drive I can't walk.
Thats exactly why I love mine. Thats what a muscle car is in my mind.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Britt2020
This thread is like a hot date with herpes...You know you shouldn’t enter, but here we are.

I am a Gen 4 guy. When I pass one that has a rumble to it, a pit # shoe polished on the glass or one just simply set up nice, they always ****** my attention. My wife makes fun of me for this, because she thinks they look like a Dodge Intrepid. The white trash pumping through my veins refuses to let go of the Catfish.

This being said, comparing them to the 5th Gen. is not fair. Not stock for stock, not mod for mod. And I'm just talking about the power output, the ability to move itself down the track or street. 4th Gen. owners, such as myself have nothing to hang head about. My 4th Gen. is paid for, mods and new motor has me with approx. 20k in it. My 5th Gen. is not paid for and was about 28k(brand new). My 4th Gen. is way faster for far less money, but is very moded. The Gen. 5 shocked me with how much power it actually does have. Once the warranty is up I will begin the mods. I can’t find it in myself to even mention the ride, handling, braking, ergonomics, engine accessibility, etc.... because my 4th Gen, just won’t add up.

I don’t understand why my fellow 4th Geners are boasting these silly claims that their stock 4th Gen. outperforms a stock 5th Gen. it isn’t possible. If you want to tell that to your friends, the guys at work or the neighborhood kids that’s cool, they will probably buy it. But don’t get on the most popular LS based forum in the world and make claims like this. It makes you look unknowledgeable and hurts the validity of anything else you post.

When I ask a question about something on here and someone gives me an idea or an answer, I go back and look at their past post to see if they are just some opinionated blow hard or if they actually have some knowledge to share. There are allot of post in this thread that I would look at and question the validity of any information I received from them, because it is obvious that this person is out of touch with reality. I figured this thread would have been locked by now. It seems to be leading to nowhere and has served very little purpose
Originally Posted by cemlsx

+1, this thread will probably still be going on when the 6th gen comes out. geeeeze
Old 02-25-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
Exactly. You feel every rumble, just truly connected with the car and the road.

When I drive my 2006 SRT8 Magnum although is powerful I have a disconnected feeling. It seem to float rather then stick to the road and make your back suffer! LOL!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1^^^ I've driven a 5th a couple times..It feels like a "new car" It doens't feel like a sports car though.. No matter how hard you hit the gas, it will not throw you back in your seat comparably to a 4th. It's fast, but it doesn't feel like it...You can really "feel" how heavy it is. The only way I'd really want to drive a 5th, is with full bolt-ons and a cam.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by justin hover
+1^^^ I've driven a 5th a couple times..It feels like a "new car" It doens't feel like a sports car though.. No matter how hard you hit the gas, it will not throw you back in your seat comparably to a 4th. It's fast, but it doesn't feel like it...You can really "feel" how heavy it is. The only way I'd really want to drive a 5th, is with full bolt-ons and a cam.
True, the car didn't "feel" fast before but after a few mods its real fun to drive.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=glennster;16006678][QUOTE=oddwraith;16006372]Everything bolded is a non-issue for me. I don't burn oil, I don't care about the hump, don't mind the exhaust that much (and can always still go true dual, little harder but can be done) and I haven't had any window motors go on me yet...although they are waaaay slow lol. I also don't mind the interior and seats (in the T/A at least) at all, I wasn't looking for a jaguar. Rear axle does suck, but at least it's not irs. Also, in a a4 car ... the 10 bolt is just fine and has very little parasitic loss. The reasons you said you wouldn't go back don't add up to me. To me, if you just rather one over the other then that is one thing, but to list all the little crap like it's a deal breaker, is a little over-the-top imo. I don't mind the fifth gens, but the ones I have been in (including an slp supercharged one) don't do it for me, at all. I feel like I'm in a squished can with slits for windows, they feel heavy, and they are way too popular on the streets to grab any attention, including mine. Just opinions, and we all have them.

Really? My car lets you feel the engine, feel the road, and feel the speed...pony car. Rattles though? I don't really have many and the only noises I hear are non-issues. It's a pony car people! You sound like Redfire...***** of the royal queen apparently . Lol jokin' jokin', but you see what I'm saying? Those are not negatives for me that you just listed, those are experiences...and experiences are subjective. Me and the gal both agree we can go much further in my Firehawk comfortably than we ever could in her grandprix sedan. I will say however, that a fourth gen definately favors the driver, and that's most certainly fine with me lol.

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
x2

Originally Posted by chaman
Exactly. You feel every rumble, just truly connected with the car and the road.

When I drive my 2006 SRT8 Magnum although is powerful I have a disconnected feeling. It seem to float rather then stick to the road and make your back suffer! LOL!
That's how I find the fifth gens, everything seems muted, and somehow sluggish and I don't really know why either. They are fast, and quite nimble...but they just don't feel like it. I bet headers and full bolt ons would wake one up well...but then they still wouldn't have the ttops, and mine are a major point of enjoyment for us. We seriously thought about buying one, but I think I can convince her an ls3 vette is the way to go....
Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oddwraith
That's how I find the fifth gens, everything seems muted, and somehow sluggish and I don't really know why either.
I thought my 4th gen was far too muted when I bought it. A few bolt ons and suspension upgrades changed that, and I'm much happier with it now though it's still not quite where I want it. I'm sure if you added the same mods to a 5th gen it would gain some of that raw feeling.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

You'd need to add more (or take away more) to a fifth gen than you would a fourth in order to get that "raw" feeling. Imo.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive drove a super charged 2/ss 2011 on 8 psi not impressed car looks goofy and bulky. Gm should have stoped when they where ahead.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Banned

I was actually talking about this the other day...

The 4th gen is essentially what an AMERICAN muscle car has been and should be... RAW, TON OF HP, the SOUND...

I was really excited when they brought the GTO back... but when i test drove it and rode in one it felt like a BMW, and not much like an American car..(I know it was technically based of the austrailian car)

But when i heard they were bringing back the Camaro i was amped up, but i got the same feeling from the 5th gen as i did the GTO... great it has a LS engine, manual transmission...but it feels like a BMW..

If I wanted refinement i would go buy a BMW or something of that sort... when i want an american sports car i want muscle and power and the sound

Again that is my feeling about them, Cars are changing and people are changing, but when i want an American sports car i dont want it to be similar to a German or Japanese sports car....
Old 02-29-2012, 04:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
I'm sure if you added the same mods to a 5th gen it would gain some of that raw feeling.
It definitely does....night and day difference in my opinion.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:26 AM
TECH Addict

All this bantor makes me snicker even harder when I crap on a 5th gen in one of my rattletraps. You Gen V'ers just keep thinking us lowly dirtnecks don't have a new Camaro because we CAN'T...
Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA
All this bantor makes me snicker even harder when I crap on a 5th gen in one of my rattletraps. You Gen V'ers just keep thinking us lowly dirtnecks don't have a new Camaro because we CAN'T...
Can't even think of a response to this. Wow.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

this
Old 02-29-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

About the only thing I miss about my 5th gen was stomping 4th gens with more mods. The "LS1=god" attitude of the owners was unbearable. Now in the Vette everyone is my friend, oh well.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*