Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Thanks for posting. It runs good. What was the quickest motor pass? Looked like 8.2 or 8.3. Is it still on the stock tq converter?
Best of the day was a 7.8 around a 2.0 60'. It traps roughly 92 cold or hot, doesn't matter how bad a launch I get ( I made one 8.4@93 IIRC- Everyone laughed) It is a built trans with a 3800 converter. It's a lot more amusing on slicks, but I was too lazy and lets be real, I wasn't going to set any records regardless. The car went 6.67 on a 150 hit and M/Ts. If I break her ****, I'm even more cut off than I already am.

Last edited by 02 WS6 TA; 03-24-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much respect for posting up. I am not a stuck up gen 4 hater lol. I love em. I tune several of them, close to 100 actually. Car runs good! I am shopping for some 18s, drs and am looking into either a fti or yank verter when funds permit. 18s will save me 55-60 lbs of rotating unsprung weight which should be a nice shot in the arm.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Much respect for posting up. I am not a stuck up gen 4 hater lol. I love em. I tune several of them, close to 100 actually. Car runs good! I am shopping for some 18s, drs and am looking into either a fti or yank verter when funds permit. 18s will save me 55-60 lbs of rotating unsprung weight which should be a nice shot in the arm.

It runs ok for what it has... It's no show stopper by any means, and it has a rather aggressive ragged edge tune by yours truly- But it gets along. Get you some M/T Drag Radials, world of difference. My car went a 1.29 60' on 'em with a 6 speed.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Thanks man, I LOVE this color... its looks killer in the sun light! As far as power I dont know yet, I am getting tuned on the 4th and will find out then. I went with a mild cam, in my sig. These cars have to much weight and not enough gear to go with a BIG cam. I wanted power to come in around 3 and top out about 6500 and give me more under the curve then big dyno numbers. I would be happy with 450 and I think it will be there, eventually I am going to do ported heads, intake and 102 throttle body, under drive pulley and shoot for about 480+ without spinning the hell out of it. I think it will be faster in the long run better on the street and not have to gear it... untill I am bored LOL. Good luck with the build man, these cars are allot of fun once you get a few mods... 2nd and 3rd gear is sick with this cam now! Just the headers and intake really wake them up Did you get the manual or auto?
manual, i can never own another auto again. even though i did like my th350 in my 1970 z28. but yeah man i hear you on gears. i was thinking 4.10s for mine cause i dont really have to hit 170+ haha. PM me when you get your dyno if you dont mind. my camaro is also my dd for 120 miles a day so i need to make sure its somewhat conservative or just built to last. not a ticking time bomb
Old 03-31-2012, 04:04 PM
9 Second Club

I ran 1/8 mile, not 1/4. An 8.0 is around a 12.3-12.4. It trapped right at 90 in the 1/8, should put it around 113 in the 1/4. You'll be the first to know when I make a road trip to Memphis to run.
Originally Posted by disc0monkey
and you're telling me i dont run my car lol

you can run a 12.3 when you get the slip in your hand
Here ya go disco, ran what I figured it would. Now you can post your slip since you asked for a 1/4 slip and got it. Anything else to say now about my fat pig of a car the runs 12.4 with a cai and headers on stock tires, stock stall? Weather was 65*, 990% humidity and da was 1058. I mean surely your cammed m6 lightweight fbody is in the 11's right? It should be, but I guess we'll never know unless to man up and post something.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

my car is still faster with nothing but a lid and cam. nice job tho. car definately runs well for what it is.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:37 PM
9 Second Club

What did it run?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
my car is still faster with nothing but a lid and cam. nice job tho. car definately runs well for what it is.
So a lid and a cam is less than a CAI and headers now? Interesting.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUISSD

your saying that
Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

You can have your opinion. I can have mine. You can also post slips or proof of what you car runs, but instead you continue you spout bullshit with nothing to back you up.

You don't know me....lol. I am not quite a pig at about 165-170 lbs. Another thing you don't know is I'd bitchslap you back to never never land and not think twice about it.

To anyone else that believes the 4th gen is a better ride, fair enough. Most everyone in here has been civil and respectful.

To you Disco, shut the **** up until you can put out some proof of your superior 4th gen.
(regardless of the insults between you 2 lol) what do you mean proof? 5th gens are 10+ newer car. it still has the "new" feel to it..i bet you drooled all over 4th gens when they came out...id drive a 4th gen over a 5th gen anyday but doesnt mean that i hate 5th gens. new camaros HAD to be this way to sell...they cant compete to newer cars in the market if they dont meet everyone standards....living across earth (middle east) 4gen have very BAD reputation for an unknows reason lol may be due to bad parts supply...5th gens are EVERYWHERE every "kid" that watched transformers has one and they all come in AUTO "non LS3s" and would cry when my bolt ons eat it lol...on the other hand 4th gens have lots of negatives like that thing on the passenger seat to clear the cat..i mean comn!! BUT again 4th gen forever after for me
Old 04-25-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Since we're talking about nonsense, here's my other bone stock 4th gen. LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfABa-uRuxw
Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUISSD
oh and for the record
spending under $750 on mods (probably less than 5thgen exhaust)
all NEW quality parts from sponsers on this site.
cars sounds and drives stock on the baby -11 overlap
fast enough to take down bolt on 5th gens

i guess in some aspects it can be considered less and in some it can be more. i can change my lid back and sell the car as stock and no body would know.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I really don't get the animosity between 4th Gen and 5th Gen Camaro owners. The 4th Gen Fbody was a great platform but it had its problems. Yes the 5th Gen is wider and longer and 200lbs heavier, but it makes up for that in ride and handling. Also being 6'5" and north of 290lbs I like the bigger more comfortable car. Having owned a 98 Z28 I will attest that while I haven't seen the ET I had with my 4 Gen the MPH is the same with a near stock (CAI) 5 Gen. That leads me to believe that with the same mods the 5Th Gen will be quicker and faster once I get out of the stalled auto mindset and learn to launch a M6. Right now in the Drag Tech and Internal Engine sections there are threads by Cartek about an NA 5th Gen car that that is running 10.8s at 129 MPH, so it isnt a question of not being able to go fast enough. So what is it then? Jealousy, fear of change, resentment that the Fbody was discontinued and the name was put on hiatus for 8 years?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:02 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,157 Likes on 752 Posts

I've had 4 4th gens, and I will have another I love 'em.

But this 5th gen is a great new DD. I went 13.15@106 and cut a 1.95 stock, and I think I could with more time at the track go 13.0@107. Impressive but different.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To me the 4th gen and 5thgen are two different cars. I like the 5thgen but I wouldn't give up my 4thgen to own one. I feel that the 5thgen is almost better in every way except maybe visibility. I truly cant stand the visibility I am not sure if it is because I'm short or what but i cant see crap to back and rear sides of me in the 5thgen. I just prefer my 4thgen I am a very nostalgic person and I have owned the car for years. I have put a lot and i mean a lot of work into my car and it has a lot of sentimental value to me. If something ever happened to it i would buy a 5thgen. I also like the OLD school feel to the 4thgens they are really the end of an era in my opinion. I like them both they are both great cars with different attributes.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Been reading alot of these posts about people asking for a race styl 5th gen. We all know the zl1 is approaching but there are two more badass 5th gens coming around. The 1LE model and the copo camaro
Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Regular

4th gens dont have nothing near a old school feel, old school cars are sloppy and soft... loose steering and very front heavy feel to them. Go a drive a 80 cutlass or 70 chevelle, they feel about the same! Thats old school.

My opinion
4th gens are rattle traps, weak rear ends and crap shifting transmisions, junk interior. They came with an awsome engine, light weight and pretty solid handling and a cool look, last of the solid axle and light weight pony car for shure. Great platform for modding up!

5th gens, are over wieght with again a weak driveline but an awsome engine. Handling is way better, interior is much better built and allot more refined. They are completely different cars though... I would not want to drive a 4th gen daily any more, to harsh and noisey compared to the 5th gen, but for a weekend toy or a race car the 4th gen is still great.

I love driving my cammed 5th gen everyday... this car is nothing like it was stock in the power and feel now, so much more throttle response and power, but in a car that rides, feels , handles like a dream compared to my past rides.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I Have driven a 70 chevelle as I helped my step father build one. I also have a 69 corvette my self. Trust me when I say I understand the manners of old school cars as I have built plenty of them with my father so don't try and lecture me about classic cars.

My forth gen also doesnt rattle or sqeak still running. 10 bolt is a week spot but every car has its week spots. the interior for the lt1s was about on par for just about every car of the era. The 5th gens interior isnt all that aww inspiring either . We have already broke the 12v accessory cover off twice not exactly what i consider Quality.the 4th gen is a car of it era and my car is 17 years old so yah in car years thats kinda thats kinda old.

My opinion. When I get to the point I cant stand my camaro that i wouldn't dd it Ill go buy a Cadillac not another camaro.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

I agree with you, the 5th gens interior is nothing great when you compare it to other cars of this gen. Its designe is cool but the material is still not the best ect, but compared to a 4th gen its night and day. If you know old school cars then you know that 4th gens handle and drive nothing like them, 4th gens dont have a big hood view for one... the streering is much tighter, the cornering is much better ect. and it should be.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Teching In

the L99 starts to move on out once tuned...

my headers/catback go on in the morning and I can't wait... I wanted to try to get a run through the 1/4 with just a tune and the axleback before the headers, but work wouldn't allow that to happen...

and now that I have free time, well, I have the headers and a catback sitting next to the car(just going to start over on my exhaust and do a full exhaust tomorrow)... I honestly think this car would have went 12.70-12.80s tune only(and the axleback pretty much adds a big 0hp, its just a sound mod)...

Quick Reply: 4th Gen vs. 5th Gen profile comparo. *pic*