Sponsored by:

Bolt on SS vs Bolt On 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark SS
For a drag strip, that's about it.
From what I've witnessed at local autox and online, the new Mustangs own the 5th gen in turns too.

Sorry to say it, but it's the truth.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
From what I've witnessed at local autox and online, the new Mustangs own the 5th gen in turns too.

But your sig says don't buy a 2011 mustang. What gives?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

We'll see how the FE4 suspension handles now that the 2012's are starting to hit the streets. My car with a just new rear sway bar changed the suspension dynamics night and day.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from the factory the 5.0 is a better car... thats about it.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Teching In

I've been following this thread and it seems to be a pissing contest of who has the better car! i.e. More cubes, less weight, complexity of engine, brand loyalty etc... All I know is that right now is the best it has ever been for muscle cars. They handle better, stop shorter, and are way more comfortable to drive. The horsepower wars are on and there is no telling when it is going to stop. No matter what brand of american car(Ford, Chevy, Dodge) they are doing their best at giving us 8 cyl. rear wheel drive, dino drinking, pure sex in sheet metal to tear up the streets!!!!! God Bless the USA
Old 08-13-2011, 11:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 439 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by supersexy
I've been following this thread and it seems to be a pissing contest of who has the better car! i.e. More cubes, less weight, complexity of engine, brand loyalty etc... All I know is that right now is the best it has ever been for muscle cars. They handle better, stop shorter, and are way more comfortable to drive. The horsepower wars are on and there is no telling when it is going to stop. No matter what brand of american car(Ford, Chevy, Dodge) they are doing their best at giving us 8 cyl. rear wheel drive, dino drinking, pure sex in sheet metal to tear up the streets!!!!! God Bless the USA
I'll sencond that. Any of the new stuff is so much better than pre 1990 ****. Although I think the big 3 could do better at responding/ listening to the enthusiest.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:56 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by supersexy
Old 08-13-2011, 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

302ci vs 376ci

Heaven help us if they say ..

"Fuckit, this year where tossing the 5.0 and puting a 6.2 in the GTs"

Ya, that would change the game a lil bit but, they wont and that beats me. Shame.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlackPlague
302ci vs 376ci

Heaven help us if they say ..

"Fuckit, this year where tossing the 5.0 and puting a 6.2 in the GTs"

Ya, that would change the game a lil bit but, they wont and that beats me. Shame.
Not really, If gm was smart they could answer that in a hurry with a 400+ ci ls. To me they should already offer that in them anyway. You hear me GM...Stop being a follower and start being a leader.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Not really, If gm was smart they could answer that in a hurry with a 400+ ci ls. To me they should already offer that in them anyway. You hear me GM...Stop being a follower and start being a leader.
Um whats a LS7? 427?

I cant Imagine a 2013 427 Ford motor! that would be a beast.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlackPlague
Um whats a LS7? 427?

I cant Imagine a 2013 427 Ford motor! that would be a beast.
Yea 427. The mod motor can't get there with their current platform. The cylinder spacing is not for enough apart, 5.0's are pushing their bore size. Does anyone know if the 6.2 is on the same platform? I think it's a bigger block.

Just did a little research and the 6.2 ford can get over 400 ci easily. It has a 4.53 bore spacing and roush has built a 7.0L out of one @ 700hp. Pretty stout but it may lead to packaging problems in cars these days.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 08-14-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Not with their current CEO. He has already made a public statement saying it does not make sense for them to be producing high horsepower vehicles when the average person will not buy them. He pretty much criticized the entire thought process behind the CTS-V.

He has also advocated a $2-3 per gallon gas tax to help sales of vehicles like the Volt, Cruz, etc.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01 CamaroSS SLP
When i was reading about these two cars a few years ago i figured the SS might have some trouble pulling away considering its weight. Every video i see its the camaro pulling up top though. Nice vid!
The top end of these LSX engines don't **** around. I've had many LT1's blow me at the 60 foot, only to reel them in to finish first. You should see the look on their faces

BTW, I had 2 LT1's, so I am not knocking them. Bad *** exhaust note and tons of grunt down low.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Teching In

if everyone raced stock Camaros, the mustang might have us by the *****... considering they come with Shorty headers and 3.73s from the factory... well, they had better outrun us stock, lol

i'd like to see the gains by going to a LT header on a Coyote(over the stock shorties) compared to LTs on a Ls3 or L99... I can already bet the results, about 10-15whp for the Coyote and about 30whp for the LS3 or L99, lol

its better to have a conservative build from the factory, than for a manufacturer to go all out... no one races stock, I learned at a young age the SS in Camaro stands for Stock Sucks
Old 09-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama
if everyone raced stock Camaros, the mustang might have us by the *****... considering they come with Shorty headers and 3.73s from the factory... well, they had better outrun us stock, lol

i'd like to see the gains by going to a LT header on a Coyote(over the stock shorties) compared to LTs on a Ls3 or L99... I can already bet the results, about 10-15whp for the Coyote and about 30whp for the LS3 or L99, lol

its better to have a conservative build from the factory, than for a manufacturer to go all out... no one races stock, I learned at a young age the SS in Camaro stands for Stock Sucks
5.0's are showing 420-430whp with full exhaust, intake and tune. I drove both cars, and while the Mustang seemed to pull slightly harder, I chose the SS because it felt like I was driving the batmobile. The Mustang was a decent and quick car, but it just didn't feel anywhere near as 'badass' as the SS.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by glennster
But your sig says don't buy a 2011 mustang. What gives?
Do a search on their manual transmissions.

My brother got burned on one. Too bad, nice car otherwise.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by asrautox
5.0's are showing 420-430whp with full exhaust, intake and tune. I drove both cars, and while the Mustang seemed to pull slightly harder, I chose the SS because it felt like I was driving the batmobile. The Mustang was a decent and quick car, but it just didn't feel anywhere near as 'badass' as the SS.
So is an LS3 SS. I hope to see some more 5.0's at the track this fall.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im gonna go ahead and spark this debate back up as seriously consitering a 5.0. Ive had test rides in both and them seemed pretty even imo. I however am not the biggest fan of the new camaros. My buddy got one and after really seeing the body lines and dimensions and problems...
I feel that much more compelled to buy the mustang. Anyways back to the topic... lol
It seems to me that they are VERY evenly matched. To bad the race wasnt a bit more detailed. Id love to see a full bolt on race between them. Camaros seem to really wake up with an exhaust while the mustangs love a good tune. I think it will be a very interesting video!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Put down the stink stick and back away. No stirring **** up dammit.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Theyre both good cars but i personally would choosee the camaro every time. Ive driven both one of the captains in my unit has the 5.0 annd my grandpa just bbought a 2012 ss/rs annd i love the camaro in every way. They are both still factory except my grandpa thought the camaro took it back to the dealership and had the scat pack exhaust put on. Sounds a little meaner but i didnt notice any real power gains. But while the 5.0 seemed to pull harder it just wasnt the same ride as the camaro. The camaro was more comfortable and just all around was a better feeling car to drive. I. Too would be curious to see these two with identicle mods and tuning go down the strip. Also on an unrelated note has anyone read about the slp version of the zl1. Theyre netting 750hp but no definite release yet

Quick Reply: Bolt on SS vs Bolt On 5.0