2012 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lazerlemonta
Make sure you do the fuse pull
Originally Posted by AJG383
Midnight,you have so many more choices then when the '10's came out. For catback's it comes down to what sound you like and saving a little weight. They also look better than the stock "jerry cans". You won't need a tune with just cold air intake and catbacks. CAI Inc. cold air intake is the most popular and best performer according to tests by a well known speed shop on C5. Pair it with the ADM race scoop for really good results. Cold air kits are easy to install on 5th Gens, maybe a half hour with household tools. Thermostats are a waste of money in my opinion,if you do get a tune later you can get the fans set to come on at a lower temp. Long tube headers and a tune are going to give you the most gain on the LS3 and a great sound regardless of the catback you have. A tune will void your warranty though with most dealers. A short throw shifter is a great mod also, much better feel than stock. Once you start modding, it is hard to stop. Check out C5 forum if you have not allready.
I like the Corsa the most i think, so wut is an ADM race scoop? is it like a ram air setup? i know i wish i would have ordered the hurst shifter from the factory, just looking to do the cold air and the catback for now that should keep me happy for awhile lol
Old 01-16-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
I like the Corsa the most i think, so wut is an ADM race scoop? is it like a ram air setup? i know i wish i would have ordered the hurst shifter from the factory, just looking to do the cold air and the catback for now that should keep me happy for awhile lol
The scoop is dyno proven to add another 4-5 hp when used with a cold air intake. In my opinion it is a no brainer to go with the cold air inductions CAI in combination with this. It has proven to be the most effective.

The scoop goes in place where the stock washer reservoir is located. You need to buy the Roto-fab washer bottle relocation kit. It is a very nice kit that relocates the washer bottle to be up in behind the CAI under the hood instead of below in the fender (where the scoop goes). It fits nicely and looks factory. Install is very easy and should be no problem for even the least experienced person.

They are selling a package deal that comes with a cold air inductions CAI, the ADM scoop and also the washer bottle relocation kit.

http://juicedmotorsports.com/2010cam...rpackage9.html

This set up is proven to be good for about 15-20rwhp. I personally didnt notice any SOTP difference until I installed headers and a tune but it is proven effective for the most part.

This is the best way to go in my opinion.

If I were you I would get some headers as well as a tune if you can afford it. The difference after headers and a tune was incredible. I would hold off on the cat back and do headers instead if money is an issue. The corsa cat-backs are pricey and will cost you as much as headers with little performance gain. The headers will give you a better exhaust note as well...but a ~35hp gain instead of 5.

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 01-16-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
The scoop is dyno proven to add another 4-5 hp when used with a cold air intake. In my opinion it is a no brainer to go with the cold air inductions CAI in combination with this. It has proven to be the most effective.

The scoop goes in place where the stock washer reservoir is located. You need to buy the Roto-fab washer bottle relocation kit. It is a very nice kit that relocates the washer bottle to be up in behind the CAI under the hood instead of below in the fender (where the scoop goes). It fits nicely and looks factory. Install is very easy and should be no problem for even the least experienced person.

They are selling a package deal that comes with a cold air inductions CAI, the ADM scoop and also the washer bottle relocation kit.

http://juicedmotorsports.com/2010cam...rpackage9.html

This set up is proven to be good for about 15-20rwhp. I personally didnt notice any SOTP difference until I installed headers and a tune but it is proven effective for the most part.

This is the best way to go in my opinion.

If I were you I would get some headers as well as a tune if you can afford it. The difference after headers and a tune was incredible. I would hold off on the cat back and do headers instead if money is an issue. The corsa cat-backs are pricey and will cost you as much as headers with little performance gain. The headers will give you a better exhaust note as well...but a ~35hp gain instead of 5.

Thats not a bad gain, the link u sent has no pic though, i can always just get the cold air first and go from there i guess, ive seen gains of 15-20rwhp with some of the catbacks on here? its gotta be better than those huge stock truck mufflers lol and they are way too quiet too lol
Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Thats not a bad gain, the link u sent has no pic though, i can always just get the cold air first and go from there i guess, ive seen gains of 15-20rwhp with some of the catbacks on here? its gotta be better than those huge stock truck mufflers lol and they are way too quiet too lol
With headers the stock cans dont sound too bad. I would definitely ditch them...but not if I had to choose between getting a cat back or headers.

Do some looking around on camaro5....cat backs offer little to no gain. It is a sound only upgrade for the most part. The car already comes with duals and an h-pipe.

Tests were done with several different mufflers down to no muffler at all. The difference was never greater than 5hp. Easily a dyno variance.

What are your plans for the car? No matter which road you go...unless you plan on staying mostly stock and keeping the warranty...headers will have to be done eventually.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
With headers the stock cans dont sound too bad. I would definitely ditch them...but not if I had to choose between getting a cat back or headers.

Do some looking around on camaro5....cat backs offer little to no gain. It is a sound only upgrade for the most part. The car already comes with duals and an h-pipe.

Tests were done with several different mufflers down to no muffler at all. The difference was never greater than 5hp. Easily a dyno variance.

What are your plans for the car? No matter which road you go...unless you plan on staying mostly stock and keeping the warranty...headers will have to be done eventually.
I see wut u mean, well i def wanna change the sound for now at least, and do full exhaust eventually, i dont wanna go crazy, my goals are a good CAI and exhaust with a tune
Old 01-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UltraZ is right, catbacks are not going to pick up significant power, but will sound much better then stock. Start hanging out with other 5th gen owners and listen to thier cars to find the sound you like. Long tubes and a tune will pick up over 40 rwhp. That you will feel, and long tubes sound great at WOT.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

UltraZ is right, catbacks are not going to pick up significant power, but will sound much better then stock. Start hanging out with other 5th gen owners and listen to thier cars to find the sound you like. Long tubes and a tune will pick up over 40 rwhp. That you will feel, and long tubes sound great at WOT.
Yea thats tru, yea the longtubes sound mean as hell, how is the install on the LTs? easier than the 4th gens? or worse?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

Yea thats tru, yea the longtubes sound mean as hell, how is the install on the LTs? easier than the 4th gens? or worse?
1.5 hours on a lift with drink breaks. too easy.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by glennster
1.5 hours on a lift with drink breaks. too easy.
Doesnt sound too bad then lol
Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is there any diffrence between the 10s 11s and 12s? or are the cars all the same?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Is there any diffrence between the 10s 11s and 12s? or are the cars all the same?
Header install is pretty easy on these cars, you will need jack stands or ramps and a helper can make it easier. You may have to disconnect the steering shaft, the rest is pretty easy. As for differences in the drivetrain or engine in the '10-'12's, I have not heard of any.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

The 12s have the updated FE4 suspension.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Launching!

What are the differences between this and a non FE4 equipped SS?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone heard of the Cherry Bomb catback system. I was thinking of getting that. I picked up a K&N kit and I was able to spin them on 1st,2nd and 3rd gear. Glad to hear the headers are a breeze to install.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Header install is pretty easy on these cars, you will need jack stands or ramps and a helper can make it easier. You may have to disconnect the steering shaft, the rest is pretty easy. As for differences in the drivetrain or engine in the '10-'12's, I have not heard of any.
Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
What are the differences between this and a non FE4 equipped SS?
thats good to hear, not sure how the steering shaft would go that sounds scary lol, yea im curious about the suspension?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Medic/Z28
Anyone heard of the Cherry Bomb catback system. I was thinking of getting that. I picked up a K&N kit and I was able to spin them on 1st,2nd and 3rd gear. Glad to hear the headers are a breeze to install.
so u noticed a difference with the k&n? how was the install? and how much?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:34 PM

work in a shop ran stanless works long tube headers knn cold air tr6 plugs from ngk mild cam and taylor wires with a tune ran us up 70 hp on a mainline dyno pretty good idle sound real good sound when you open her upp
Old 01-19-2012, 04:19 AM
On The Tree

thats good to hear, not sure how the steering shaft would go that sounds scary lol, yea im curious about the suspension?
As far as removing the shaft goes, I was under the impression it had more to do with the particular brand. I know I had zero issues with my Kooks. I did the install by myself on jack stands in around 2 hrs. and like glennster mentioned before it was a very easy install. Even if you would need to move the steering shaft, it's not a hard process. The engine bay on these cars gives plenty of room to work.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

The dynatechs slid right in. My 2000 was easy but these cars are so much easier to work on. I installed the shifter in about a half hour on a lift. The bad is probably losing a powertrain warranty after headers/CAI and tune but you pay to play and modding these cars makes them uber fun.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied
As far as removing the shaft goes, I was under the impression it had more to do with the particular brand. I know I had zero issues with my Kooks. I did the install by myself on jack stands in around 2 hrs. and like glennster mentioned before it was a very easy install. Even if you would need to move the steering shaft, it's not a hard process. The engine bay on these cars gives plenty of room to work.
Originally Posted by glennster
The dynatechs slid right in. My 2000 was easy but these cars are so much easier to work on. I installed the shifter in about a half hour on a lift. The bad is probably losing a powertrain warranty after headers/CAI and tune but you pay to play and modding these cars makes them uber fun.
Thats good to know there easier than the 4th gens, cause they were hard to work on lol,

glennster, wut kind of shifter did u install?

Quick Reply: 2012 Camaro SS