Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question 2012 Camaro SS

Just bought a 2012 1SS/RS, with a manual 6 speed, im very new to the car, but im looking to put a nice catback on it, and a cold air, what sounds good out there? ive always been a fan of the Borla and Corsa, does anyone have any sounds clips on theres? and how easy or difficult is it to change the catback and or cold air on these cars? im used to my 4th gen ls1 lol
Old 01-15-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

What things should i know about the car?
Old 01-15-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
What things should i know about the car?
The best performing CAI is the Cold air inductions CAI with the adm scoop. Independent tests have proven this.

Cat back install is a breeze. I love the sound of my flowmaster with an orx and headers. It wasnt available when I got my exhaust...but if I had to do it over again I would go with the new dynomax system. They offer a system with bullet mufflers. It will offer the lightest weight, most flow and very cheap. Of course a cat back alone offers very little performance on these cars. Maybe 5hp

Whats to know...hmm I guess a lot. What do u want to know specifically besides the cai and cat back info?
Old 01-15-2012, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a vararam, no gain and even a slight loss in the 1/4, maybe a 10th. Took it off and sold it. Went with some used dynatechs, had them coated and no cats. I have a roto-fab intake and JRE tune for after hibernation. LT's are the way to go with stock CB, great sound, no drone, excellent power gain and screams at WOT.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by glennster
I had a vararam, no gain and even a slight loss in the 1/4, maybe a 10th. Took it off and sold it. Went with some used dynatechs, had them coated and no cats. I have a roto-fab intake and JRE tune for after hibernation. LT's are the way to go with stock CB, great sound, no drone, excellent power gain and screams at WOT.
It does sound pretty decent with stockers and headers and from what I have heard.

Big thing is you can lose a considerable amount of weight by ditching the stock mufflers. They are gigantic. I also dont like how you can see them under the car.
Cat back for the most part is personal preference in sound. I have always liked the sound of bullets...and they just so happen to be the cheapest and lightest.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

If you want fun factor and looks this is first
Old 01-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Launching!

If you want fun factor and looks this is first
Sorry for getting off topic, but it would be cool if they offered that shifter as a factory option with houndstooth seats.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
Sorry for getting off topic, but it would be cool if they offered that shifter as a factory option with houndstooth seats.
I have a friend with a white SS that bought a hounds tooth upholstery kit and it looks awesome!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
The best performing CAI is the Cold air inductions CAI with the adm scoop. Independent tests have proven this.

Cat back install is a breeze. I love the sound of my flowmaster with an orx and headers. It wasnt available when I got my exhaust...but if I had to do it over again I would go with the new dynomax system. They offer a system with bullet mufflers. It will offer the lightest weight, most flow and very cheap. Of course a cat back alone offers very little performance on these cars. Maybe 5hp

Whats to know...hmm I guess a lot. What do u want to know specifically besides the cai and cat back info?
Ok cool, wow only 5hp gain? thats crazy for all the money u can spend on them, just looking to make the car alittle faster and sound better, maybe a lower thermostat would help? im used to the 4th gen cars, just looking for weak links and or problems down the road
Old 01-15-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant believe the Vararam made it worse, so i guess the cold air kits are a waste of money too?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

I don't think the CAI kits are as much gain as advertised. When I added the vararam I could tell the throttle response was improved, when I went back to stock I felt no loss. Did the computer "unlearn" or was it confused over the difference in air flow? I almost went with an SLP tube and filter [blackwing] but got a roto-fab for dirt cheap because tuners seem to like them and the ones I've seen in person I like over the others. Not fond of the glass windowed CAI brand.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think the CAI kits are as much gain as advertised. When I added the vararam I could tell the throttle response was improved, when I went back to stock I felt no loss. Did the computer "unlearn" or was it confused over the difference in air flow? I almost went with an SLP tube and filter [blackwing] but got a roto-fab for dirt cheap because tuners seem to like them and the ones I've seen in person I like over the others. Not fond of the glass windowed CAI brand.
I see wut u mean, so it is possible u need a tune to go with the CAI? is it easy to change out the stocker to a cold air? Do lower thermostats help these cars?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

I'm going with a jannetty "415" tune which is matched to LT's and a roto-fab intake. I don't believe in cooler thermo's myself.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going with a jannetty "415" tune which is matched to LT's and a roto-fab intake. I don't believe in cooler thermo's myself.
I thought most LS1 motors benefit from a cooler running temp, at least my 4th gen did
Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
I cant believe the Vararam made it worse, so i guess the cold air kits are a waste of money too?
No, just the Vara-ram. I was able to go 12.60's with just a Roto-Fab and a tune.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dark SS
No, just the Vara-ram. I was able to go 12.60's with just a Roto-Fab and a tune.
So the Roto-Fab ones are good, any other kinds out there? or just that one"?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

Make sure you do the fuse pull
Old 01-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Midnight,you have so many more choices then when the '10's came out. For catback's it comes down to what sound you like and saving a little weight. They also look better than the stock "jerry cans". You won't need a tune with just cold air intake and catbacks. CAI Inc. cold air intake is the most popular and best performer according to tests by a well known speed shop on C5. Pair it with the ADM race scoop for really good results. Cold air kits are easy to install on 5th Gens, maybe a half hour with household tools. Thermostats are a waste of money in my opinion,if you do get a tune later you can get the fans set to come on at a lower temp. Long tube headers and a tune are going to give you the most gain on the LS3 and a great sound regardless of the catback you have. A tune will void your warranty though with most dealers. A short throw shifter is a great mod also, much better feel than stock. Once you start modding, it is hard to stop. Check out C5 forum if you have not allready.

Last edited by AJG383; 01-16-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lazerlemonta
Make sure you do the fuse pull
What is the fuse pull mod and what are the benefits?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
What is the fuse pull mod and what are the benefits?
Most commonly needed in the L99...though a few ls3 cars have needed it.

Some cars stay in low octane mode from when some dealerships fill them with 87.

Several (mostly l99) owners reported less than normal performance with their new cars. Several guys with L99's couldnt break into the 13's and didnt know why. Therefore pulling the fuses will usually reset the computer and get the car out of low octane mode. Something like 30-40hp difference.

Quick Reply: 2012 Camaro SS