Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

FE4 suspension enhances performance

The new FE4 suspension debuts as a performance improvement for the Camaro SS coupe in 2012, focusing on more refined handling.

“Our objective was to create a more precise sport suspension for the SS coupe, with greater road-holding capability,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. ”We applied lessons learned from extensive track testing to better refine the suspension geometry for flatter cornering, a more neutral balance during hard turns, and minimized understeer at the limit.”

Elements of the FE4 package include:

Retuned front and rear dampers
New solid front (23 mm) and rear (24 mm) stabilizer bars
Twenty-inch aluminum wheels and P245/45R20 front/P275/40R20 rear tires (SS).
More than just new components, the new FE4 performance suspension incorporates learning from the ongoing development of the high-performance Camaro ZL1. In particular, the suspension geometry has been adjusted, including reshaped stabilizer bars that are repositioned outboard of the shock mounts. This results in more effective body control and more precise response in performance driving.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lazerlemonta
FE4 suspension enhances performance

The new FE4 suspension debuts as a performance improvement for the Camaro SS coupe in 2012, focusing on more refined handling.

“Our objective was to create a more precise sport suspension for the SS coupe, with greater road-holding capability,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. ”We applied lessons learned from extensive track testing to better refine the suspension geometry for flatter cornering, a more neutral balance during hard turns, and minimized understeer at the limit.”

Elements of the FE4 package include:

Retuned front and rear dampers
New solid front (23 mm) and rear (24 mm) stabilizer bars
Twenty-inch aluminum wheels and P245/45R20 front/P275/40R20 rear tires (SS).
More than just new components, the new FE4 performance suspension incorporates learning from the ongoing development of the high-performance Camaro ZL1. In particular, the suspension geometry has been adjusted, including reshaped stabilizer bars that are repositioned outboard of the shock mounts. This results in more effective body control and more precise response in performance driving.

wow thats awesome thanks alot bud!! that says it all, cant wait to drive mine now
Old 01-20-2012, 03:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't waste your money on a Cat back system. You wont get any gains and you might get some drone. ARH or KooKs LT headers with cats will bolt up to your stock exhaust and will give you about 30rwhp more and a better sound than the cat back.

There are 3 main air intake systems that will give you 14+rwhp. Cold Air Inductions, ADM and Halltech. Only Halltech will give you rwhp without heating up the intake air. CAI and ADM have aluminum tubes that get hot and the coatings don't do **** to stop it. Halltech has a plastic tube that doesn't let heat soak increase intake air temps and an inverted tip air filter that lets in more air. The washer bottle re locator will give you more rwhp because it frees up the air intake area. The scoop is cheap and easy to install so why not put it in. With both your looking at 18rwhp more.

The fuse pull will effect the LS3 and L99 the same. Pull fuse #5 and #20 for a few hours and you will see a difference. Have it Dyno'ed with the lower octane map over written by the higher octane map and you wont have to pull the fuses. The knock sensor will retard your timing if you have bad gas.

Vmax throttle body if you have an LS3, if you have an L99 you might not like the Vmax.

A better cup holder for sure, and for the love of god get rid of the stock rims.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

You dont like the stock rims? I love the stockers, I just wish the rear was a 10.5 for a 315 tire! Catback is a wast I agree, I used my stock catback and removed the reso's and welded up some 1 chamers. $350 for XS power 2" headers and about 125$ for my home built exhaust, and it sounds better then any bolton 5th gen I heard in person with 2 grand in exhaust!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by No Hope
Don't waste your money on a Cat back system. You wont get any gains and you might get some drone. ARH or KooKs LT headers with cats will bolt up to your stock exhaust and will give you about 30rwhp more and a better sound than the cat back.

There are 3 main air intake systems that will give you 14+rwhp. Cold Air Inductions, ADM and Halltech. Only Halltech will give you rwhp without heating up the intake air. CAI and ADM have aluminum tubes that get hot and the coatings don't do **** to stop it. Halltech has a plastic tube that doesn't let heat soak increase intake air temps and an inverted tip air filter that lets in more air. The washer bottle re locator will give you more rwhp because it frees up the air intake area. The scoop is cheap and easy to install so why not put it in. With both your looking at 18rwhp more.

The fuse pull will effect the LS3 and L99 the same. Pull fuse #5 and #20 for a few hours and you will see a difference. Have it Dyno'ed with the lower octane map over written by the higher octane map and you wont have to pull the fuses. The knock sensor will retard your timing if you have bad gas.

Vmax throttle body if you have an LS3, if you have an L99 you might not like the Vmax.

A better cup holder for sure, and for the love of god get rid of the stock rims.
According to the jannetty independent cai test the cold air inductions CAI did a very good job at keeping IAT temps down.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...=1&output=html

Only a 2 degree temp climb. 2 degrees cooler than the plastic stock unit. Coolest in the entire test besides the over the radiator new era set up (not really the same thing).

Who told you it didnt do a good job...halltech? That is the main thing this cai is known for...low iats.

And about the inverted tip air filter....the CAI unit has a velocity stack as well.And the largest air filter.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
According to the jannetty independent cai test the cold air inductions CAI did a very good job at keeping IAT temps down.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...=1&output=html

Only a 2 degree temp climb. 2 degrees cooler than the plastic stock unit. Coolest in the entire test besides the over the radiator new era set up (not really the same thing).

Who told you it didnt do a good job...halltech? That is the main thing this cai is known for...low iats.

And about the inverted tip air filter....the CAI unit has a velocity stack as well.And the largest air filter.
No not Halltech, I have a CAI intake. Its from my personal experience. That aluminum tube is a flame thrower. I insulated it with pipe insulation and the temps are good now.

I have pictures that I can post when I get to work that show the inside temp of the tube after the car is ran for an hour, 153 as I remembered. The test did not run the car for more than 15 minutes.

The CAI air filter sucks as well. I bought an AFE inverted tip filter to replace the CAI filter.

Don't get me wrong I got 18 rwhp with the CAI after I insulated the tube and put the AFE filter on. I also think the box with a lid is better on the CAI than the Halltech. Test are nice but real world experience is better.

Last edited by No Hope; 01-20-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sweetC5
You dont like the stock rims? I love the stockers, I just wish the rear was a 10.5 for a 315 tire! Catback is a wast I agree, I used my stock catback and removed the reso's and welded up some 1 chamers. $350 for XS power 2" headers and about 125$ for my home built exhaust, and it sounds better then any bolton 5th gen I heard in person with 2 grand in exhaust!
Depending on your offset you can put 315's on.

Don't knock those XS headers, they are made out of 321 Stainless and its a better grade than the 304 Kooks or ARH use. ARH and Kooks have a better design for HP. XS Power is the best bang for the buck header out there.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

No not Halltech, I have a CAI intake. Its from my personal experience. That aluminum tube is a flame thrower. I insulated it with pipe insulation and the temps are good now.

I have pictures that I can post when I get to work that show the inside temp of the tube after the car is ran for an hour, 153 as I remembered. The test did not run the car for more than 15 minutes.

The CAI air filter sucks as well. I bought an AFE inverted tip filter to replace the CAI filter.

Don't get me wrong I got 18 rwhp with the CAI after I insulated the tube and put the AFE filter on. I also think the box with a lid is better on the CAI than the Halltech. Test are nice but real world experience is better.
Ok man.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow thats a nice gain to the wheels for the CAI, can u send me some links on the washer relocater and the scoop?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
wow thats a nice gain to the wheels for the CAI, can u send me some links on the washer relocater and the scoop?
I hate to say this because I hate Brandon from Maryland Speed but they have the best price on the Halltech system and the ADM scoop. His price on the Roto Fab washer re-locator is a little high, tell him he needs to match Jannettys price of $109.

Brandon's a dick but that's no reason why you shouldn't get the best deal. They ship fast so apparently someone knows what they are doing there.

You will get the same rwhp numbers with the CAI and the ADM but you will have heat soak because of the Aluminum tube and don't let Brandon convince you otherwise. There is the link

http://marylandspeed.com/chevy-camar...1243.html#Cold Air Intake Systems (V8)

That's 18rwhp total for intake and scoop, that post I made could be misunderstood

Last edited by No Hope; 01-20-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

I hate to say this because I hate Brandon from Maryland Speed but they have the best price on the Halltech system and the ADM scoop. His price on the Roto Fab washer re-locator is a little high, tell him he needs to match Jannettys price of $109.

Brandon's a dick but that's no reason why you shouldn't get the best deal. They ship fast so apparently someone knows what they are doing there.

You will get the same rwhp numbers with the CAI and the ADM but you will have heat soak because of the Aluminum tube and don't let Brandon convince you otherwise. There is the link

That's 18rwhp total for intake and scoop, that post I made could be misunderstood
What's the reason for not liking Brandon?
Old 01-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied
What's the reason for not liking Brandon?
Its personal, has nothing to do with business. We just don't like each other.

Last edited by No Hope; 01-20-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The K&N kit I picked on Craigslist for $125. It was already assembled so I just removed mine and installed this one. Are CB systems really a waste of time on these cars? It's so quiet thou. I'm waiting til I'm at least @60,000 miles before I install a set of LTs. I was wanting to give her a little rumble with the exhaust system. Is the resonator delete the best option here?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A performance tune is the best bang for the buck. It really woke up my G8 along with a cold air intake.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Medic/Z28
The K&N kit I picked on Craigslist for $125. It was already assembled so I just removed mine and installed this one. Are CB systems really a waste of time on these cars? It's so quiet thou. I'm waiting til I'm at least @60,000 miles before I install a set of LTs. I was wanting to give her a little rumble with the exhaust system. Is the resonator delete the best option here?
I bought a Borla S cat back exhaust first and if I had to do it all over again, I would have just bought the ARH headers.

You don't have to buy a set of $1,400 headers. XS Power has a great set of stainless headers for a low price. You don't need stainless headers either. Edelbrock has a close out on mild steel coated headers for $309, here's the link. It wont hurt anything by putting on headers now. Mine had 3,000 miles on it when I installed headers.

When you stay with the stock exhaust you avoid the chance of drone. You will get more gains with a after market cat back exhaust if you have headers too, but not by themselves.

http://store.edelbrock.com/competitionraceheaders.aspx
Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok cool thats all i should need, thank u, im guessing that scoop thing is that black think that is sitting in the air filter?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Keep the reso's on and remove the muffs, it's sounds pretty good! A shop can do it for pretty cheap, it's worth getting rid of those stupid stockers!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But Ive read that removing the muffers in these cars causes you to loose power down low in the RMPs. So changing them out had the benefits of being light weight and sounding better too.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Keep the reso's on and remove the muffs, it's sounds pretty good! A shop can do it for pretty cheap, it's worth getting rid of those stupid stockers!
Originally Posted by Medic/Z28
But Ive read that removing the muffers in these cars causes you to loose power down low in the RMPs. So changing them out had the benefits of being light weight and sounding better too.
Yea i agree a new catback will def lighten the car up alot compared to those huge stock mufflers
Old 02-08-2012, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

anybody have pics of there halltech intake already installed on there car?

Quick Reply: 2012 Camaro SS