Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glennster
This test may be biased from the fact I think the computer is rich to begin with and an install and dyno run may give gain and the computer taketh away later. My 2 cents and experience with a vararam. Great at first, felt a gain but maybe not so much at WOT as stock. After a 100 mile learn it went a tenth slower at the track in better weather, took it off, went back to stock and felt no loss. Back to the track a few weeks later and car was batshit fast. WTF.
I wouldn't even consider the Vararam for the camaro, nothing but problems. They make a good intake for the vette but that's about it.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by navyblueSS
I wouldn't even consider the Vararam for the camaro, nothing but problems. They make a good intake for the vette but that's about it.
Crazy dyno numbers, whats that badass run? Need some tears to flow from the C5 haters.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=glennster;15877210]No, never dynoed. I installed dynatechs and gutted cats I got used and had coated plus the hurst shifter [love it] Made a huge difference but car went into storage so didn't bother with the tune. I just bought a used roto-fab for $175 shipped and an unlocked SCT tuner for $100. I'm adding these and a pulley then getting a Jannetty tune. I think I can drive it to low 12's maybe better with a tire.

I would get an inverted tip filter if I was you and a tune from a professional shop. Store bought or mail order tunes suck in comparison. Store your old tune on the SCT tuner. I like Dynatech headers they are thicker than the other Stainless headers out there. If your going to add Noz they can take the heat better.

Its like you said before, I found without a tune the ECM relearns what you've done and corrects it because its programmed to do so.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Launching!

To discount a whole site from having issues with a few individuals is kinda paranoid. Are they out to get you? J/K
Jannettys personal thread about his experience at a drag strip with a vararam was 3 tenths, why didn't you trust that? Dyno's or what should runs don't help unless it works for me. Vararam didn't and the 2 I had creased the neck and looked like ****, I sold the 3rd one they sent me.

Its not being paranoid when a moderator deletes anything bad said about a vendor.

I think you miss understood, Jannetty is the only one on that site I trusted that ran tests. A lot of the same vendors on that site are on this site. Some of them just don't make the same claims on this site. Why?

As far as Camaro5 its the shitest site on the web. Pimple head moderators who dont even own a car and a administrator that puts the vendors profit before the members gains. It should be shut down.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

Crazy dyno numbers, whats that badass run? Need some tears to flow from the C5 haters.
Haven't run it yet, just had the cam installed last week. I'm very happy with it, pulls hard. Hopefully I can get some times in the next month or so.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by No Hope
Dyno's all read different whats important is the gains made. I don't trust anything on the Camaro5 website except for Jannetty. I've never had a Roto Fab so I can't say if his finding are true for that brand. I bought a Cold Air Inductions intake and I got 18rwhp more with the scoop. It was checked before and after CAI installation.
I understand, that's why I said my car made more HP on Speed Inc.'s dyno than other bolt-on cars. I am a believer in the Roto-Fab and wish they made a Vette CAI. Now I'm going with Halltech. I hear a lot of good things about them for the Vette community.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dark SS
I understand, that's why I said my car made more HP on Speed Inc.'s dyno than other bolt-on cars. I am a believer in the Roto-Fab and wish they made a Vette CAI. Now I'm going with Halltech. I hear a lot of good things about them for the Vette community.
im deciding between halltech and vararam. lately, ive heard a lot of good things about halltech and i know people rave over vararam, ive seen some crazy gains with that setup.

to the op, i LOVED my cold air inductions intake. top quality
Old 01-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Teching In

i'm going with Halltech, ordered a TSP one but they are having an issue with getting the intake tubing in stock, so I have decided to go with the Halltech

was all but set on a Cold Air Inductions, but this topic has changed my mind... don't trust the guys on Camaro5, they take everything the vendors or Janetty says as the be all truth, lol... with CAIs, peak HP doesn't mean much.. its all about heat soak and LTFTs...

Janetty seems to be the "man" over there as far as tuning and what not, i'd put a Trifecta Tuned car up against a Jannetty tuned car any day of the week
Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama
i'm going with Halltech, ordered a TSP one but they are having an issue with getting the intake tubing in stock, so I have decided to go with the Halltech

was all but set on a Cold Air Inductions, but this topic has changed my mind... don't trust the guys on Camaro5, they take everything the vendors or Janetty says as the be all truth, lol... with CAIs, peak HP doesn't mean much.. its all about heat soak and LTFTs...

Janetty seems to be the "man" over there as far as tuning and what not, i'd put a Trifecta Tuned car up against a Jannetty tuned car any day of the week
Do you have a jannetty tune for comparison. I've dealt with Ted, he is a stand up straight shooter. I wouldn't brag about an exhaust/tune car running 13.2 unless you are on Everest.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Teching In

that was x-pipe only (and at Steele on a Midnight Madness night with NO vht on the track, though I still hooked decent, just not as well as it SHOULD)

as in no EXTRA power... it'll now hit 110 in 13.1 seconds on the street in 39 degree weather(with the video to prove it, lol) with absolutely no launch because of the conditions

the thing that scared me about his tunes is he says they are "dialed" and data logging "usually isn't needed"... i've seen one to many IDENTICAL cars be datalogged with almost identical mods to say that is never a great idea... always datalog, some cars have KR from the factory

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; 01-24-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

He's always taken time for me and is patient with my concerns. I didn't even buy the headers/cold air from him and he answered my questions and got my tune and JRE scoop right off. Have to love immediate response because you know if you have issues he'll contact you straight away.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Nice choice going with the Halltech, its a good one!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Teching In

He's always taken time for me and is patient with my concerns. I didn't even buy the headers/cold air from him and he answered my questions and got my tune and JRE scoop right off. Have to love immediate response because you know if you have issues he'll contact you straight away.
i'm not knocking the man, his cars perform... he does log some cars, etc.. I honestly probably WOULD have went with him if I hadn't of already had the EZ flash cable from Vince from my last car

and $200 for a tune for this car? can't beat that(actually it was lower, I'm just not allowed to state what it was, that is as low as I can advertise his tunes)... though I only do it locally, not advertising per say, just word of mouth
Old 01-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by navyblueSS
Nice choice going with the Halltech, its a good one!
the TSP looked about the same, with exception of the filter, it too did not use an aluminum pipe... I'm with you guys on that causing heat soak, the Cold Air Inductions may perform well on a single dyno pull...

put it through 3 back to back dyno pulls and compare it to a non aluminum tubing intake... I would bet money it'd start to take a dive due to heatsoak
Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Launching!

I bought a Cold Air Inductions intake and I can tell you that you will like the Halltech better. The lid on the CAI has cheap little half screw and the air filter is a joke. The Aluminum coated tube is a flame thrower under the hood. Like I said, I covered the tube with pipe insulation and the temps are as low as the outside air now. I will post pics tomorrow.

I didn't find out about the benefits of the Halltech system until after I posted on a CAI thread bitchen about the problems. The guy from Halltech chimed in telling me his came with an inverted tip filter and a plastic tube. I got pissy with the Halltech guy because his website doesn't mention the inverted tip filter and he never made any effort to let the members on the site know about the CAI tube heating up until AFTER I bitched about it.

Let me know how you like the Halltech when you get it on.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:23 AM
Teching In

I agree with u guys halltech hands down, love it and the performance well worth tha money
Old 01-25-2012, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Roto-fab has a tapered plastic tube with velocity stack entry and an inverted cone filter.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JHL88
im deciding between halltech and vararam. lately, ive heard a lot of good things about halltech and i know people rave over vararam, ive seen some crazy gains with that setup.

to the op, i LOVED my cold air inductions intake. top quality
Halltech seems to be the way to go.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Teching In

^ over here, not over there(Camaro5), lol...

its a matter of going fast and performing over here.........or supporting a vendor over there, lol

and honestly, i'm thinking about doing mid pipes instead of the CAI for now... will do BOTH in the next month or so... but I figure might as well finish off the exhaust(except the headers) and then do the CAI... I hear there is a pretty good gain ditching the stock cats for high flow cats, people say they've gotten 15-20whp from the Solo Cats, though i'm thinking about going with JBA

not only will it finish off the exhaust from the headers back, it'll also probably be a bigger "*** dyno" gain, lol
Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

^ over here, not over there(Camaro5), lol...

its a matter of going fast and performing over here.........or supporting a vendor over there, lol

and honestly, i'm thinking about doing mid pipes instead of the CAI for now... will do BOTH in the next month or so... but I figure might as well finish off the exhaust(except the headers) and then do the CAI... I hear there is a pretty good gain ditching the stock cats for high flow cats, people say they've gotten 15-20whp from the Solo Cats, though i'm thinking about going with JBA

not only will it finish off the exhaust from the headers back, it'll also probably be a bigger "*** dyno" gain, lol
I did run JBA catted mids for a while and the sound improvement is awesome and you will feel quite a gain, way more then an intake.

Quick Reply: cold air intake