See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 03:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any mail order tune sucks compared to taking it to a good Dyno shop, and a Dyno shop tune cost about the same as the hand held programmers that are out there.

If anyone has a Aluminum tube air intake and wants to get rid of the heat soak, I covered mine with a one piece pipe insulation that slips over the tube and looks nice. I will post some pics of it. I can give you the name of the company I got mine from. I didn't pay for mine so I can't tell you how much it costs. The guy that owns the company is real nice and wouldn't charge much. He makes his money on big pipe jobs.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

I know a girl who makes money on big pipe jobs.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Unhappy

Originally Posted by glennster
I know a girl who makes money on big pipe jobs.

If only I had a large pipe
Old 01-28-2012, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I had a small job and did it by hand.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by No Hope
Any mail order tune sucks compared to taking it to a good Dyno shop, and a Dyno shop tune cost about the same as the hand held programmers that are out there.

If anyone has a Aluminum tube air intake and wants to get rid of the heat soak, I covered mine with a one piece pipe insulation that slips over the tube and looks nice. I will post some pics of it. I can give you the name of the company I got mine from. I didn't pay for mine so I can't tell you how much it costs. The guy that owns the company is real nice and wouldn't charge much. He makes his money on big pipe jobs.
I am interested. Would like some pics and info. If it looks halfway decent Ill buy one.

You can pm me the info if you dont want to post it.

thanks a lot, Troy
Old 01-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
I am interested. Would like some pics and info. If it looks halfway decent Ill buy one.

You can pm me the info if you dont want to post it.

thanks a lot, Troy
I'll give you a piece of it. I have a 2' piece left and I can just go to his shop if I need more.

I'll post the pics when I get to work tonight
Old 01-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Launching!

This is the Pipe insulation I put over the tube on my CAI intake. We put it on fast just to see if it would work so I didn't make sure the cuts were nice and neet. I had an extra piece to make it look pretty latter on.

The tube temperature was at 154 degrees F before I insulated it and after the tube temperature was the same as the ambient temperature out side the car. I had pics of the before temp shot with a laser thermometer but I can't find them. The Aluminum tube uncovered is like a flame thrower under the hood. The first time I popped the hood after I installed the CAI intake I couldn't believe how much more heat there was

I would put this insulation over a plastic tube if I had one, it makes that big of a difference.

Click on the pictures and they will enlarge.
Attached Thumbnails cold air intake-intake-insol-003.jpg   cold air intake-intake-insol-002.jpg   cold air intake-intake-insol-001.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by No Hope
This is the Pipe insulation I put over the tube on my CAI intake. We put it on fast just to see if it would work so I didn't make sure the cuts were nice and neet. I had an extra piece to make it look pretty latter on.

The tube temperature was at 154 degrees F before I insulated it and after the tube temperature was the same as the ambient temperature out side the car. I had pics of the before temp shot with a laser thermometer but I can't find them. The Aluminum tube uncovered is like a flame thrower under the hood. The first time I popped the hood after I installed the CAI intake I couldn't believe how much more heat there was

I would put this insulation over a plastic tube if I had one, it makes that big of a difference.

Click on the pictures and they will enlarge.
do you think, you can buy this at home depo
Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 AM

I know I'm probably totally missing this somewhere, but I need to know how (preferably visually!) to install my CAI on my 2002 camaro? I'm new to the whole domestic car scene even though I know that's not an excuse! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jmagor41
I know I'm probably totally missing this somewhere, but I need to know how (preferably visually!) to install my CAI on my 2002 camaro? I'm new to the whole domestic car scene even though I know that's not an excuse! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys!
What kind do you have? For a 2002 try LS1HOWTO.com

Quick Reply: cold air intake