Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jumped on the 5th gen bandwagon!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumped on the 5th gen bandwagon!!!

Long story short it's been about 2 years since I sold my 99 ss 6-speed car. My racing days have long been gone just have been and enthusiast of these cars.

Well within the last two years I have been promoted at work and have really worked on my career. I started looking for a new car and really wasn't planning on buying a new model but found one I loved!

2011 Camaro 1SS!

It has the cloth interior, 6-speed, no sunroof or anything like that. Kinda reminds me of a new stripper car but still has the power windows and seats. Only 25,000 miles on her. Silver which is the exact color I wanted.

Already put slp catback on it and the slp blackwing intake. Just gonna love it and enjoy it. I'm 6"4 so the fbodys were always a little small but I feel right at home in this thing.

I don't think it has sunk in yet that I own it lol.

I need to do some tastefull mods. The dealer I got it from is gonna put the stripe kit on it for me. Other than that been looking at some wheels, grills, it's still kinda overwelming.

Like I said this isn't going to be a race car, just a nice fun hot rod that is still roomy and can make me smile when I hit the pedal.

I'm hoping with the slp powerflow catback, the blackwing intake and gonna order some longtubes not sure which ones yet. After that gonna have it dyno tuned and hope it hits 400rwhp and I will be tickled!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Airaid CAI,TSP long tubes and the GMPP Axle back on my 2010 and it made 410 HP untuned.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Launching!

what color did you get? my gf has cyber grey 2ss. we have a LSR cai, magnaflow x pipe, borla s-type mufflers and tunes (its an A6 car). with those mods, she put down 341/360 on a dyno jet. we also put on some matte gunmetal TSW Nurburgrings and grand sport stripes on the fenders. next are a set of long tubes to get rid of those 4 cats.

i don't suggest the LSR cai as it gained nothing over the stock intake (it was tuned before we bought the cai). If any cai, i'd definitely recommend the vararam intake!!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,199 Likes on 770 Posts

My auto is a 1SS, no sunroof, I'm 6 foot 1 and fit great in it. Great commuting car and I've done some mods to wake it up.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same here i bought a black 1 ss about a month ago. Love it so far even tho a c6 ls3 busted my butt the other day. I'm 6' 3" and fit way better than my 4th gen.
Congrats on you purchase.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,199 Likes on 770 Posts

Yeah stock and/or low 13's is dangerous, a lot of cars can wack us on the street. I'm 12.3's right now so only a few that I worry about. But I did some more stuff and 11.xx is where I am now I'd say.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Yeah stock and/or low 13's is dangerous, a lot of cars can wack us on the street. I'm 12.3's right now so only a few that I worry about. But I did some more stuff and 11.xx is where I am now I'd say.
Yea but mines not stock anymore, don't know what it will run but seems to pull pretty good. We ran from a 30 roll and I held my own till about 100 and then looked like the c6 was shot out of a cannon and I was pushing a brick wall. C6 had corsa catback and haltech cai.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

The color is Silver Ice Metallic

I'm going to do some cosmetic stuff first, then prolly headers.

I have never even had a car this nice or new!

I do have some questions though.

1.) Is there anything that needs to be tuned out on the car, like the old skip shifts and stuff. I heard if you bounce them off the rev limiter the car will shut down into low power mode and you can't move it until the dealer hooks to it?

2.) Mine idles right below 30 oil psi on warm idle. and jumps up to 30 or 35 while cruising and climbs when you get on it.Is this about normal. My current 4.8 vortec truck idles at 20 but I thought the new camaros held more oil psi

I haven't full out gotten on it yet but it suprised me how quick this car is. Doesn't seem like the old 4.6 mustangs or and older stock f body or challenger would be any problem to walk off and leave.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Im not 100% sure, but 30psi of oil pressure at hot idle seems kinda low?

My 2001 trans am with 110k on it at hot idle has between 42-45psi, and cruising has between 55-60psi hot
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They still have the skip shift it sucks. But there is no truth to the rev limiter thing. The oil pressure is fine, mine runs about the same. My car ran more MPH stock than my 98 did with CIA and exhaust so they are pretty strong. What works against them is they are harder to launch and they are heavy so they don't ET as well.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gunslinger09
They still have the skip shift it sucks. But there is no truth to the rev limiter thing. The oil pressure is fine, mine runs about the same. My car ran more MPH stock than my 98 did with CIA and exhaust so they are pretty strong. What works against them is they are harder to launch and they are heavy so they don't ET as well.
Yeah I'm still getting use the the clutch on it, feels pretty stiff for a stock clutch though.

I love it so far. Averaging 20mpg right now, but that was with the long drive home cruising at 70 75mph
Old 01-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Teching In

Love to have one

Quick Reply: Jumped on the 5th gen bandwagon!!!